Sample Cakes And Pricing

Decorating By TxBlonde Updated 25 Mar 2008 , 1:42am by pjaycakes

TxBlonde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TxBlonde Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 11:10pm
post #1 of 2

I have been asked to do the reception and groom's cake for a wedding. I am really nervous because this will be my first paid business deal. How many sample cakes should I prepare? Should they be detailed? Also, how much should I charge? The reception will consist of 50-60 people and the groom's cake should feed at least 150. Thanks in advance!

1 reply
pjaycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pjaycakes Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 1:42am
post #2 of 2

I'm assuming by sample cake you mean like a tasting where they come and taste your cake before deciding to have you do the cake? If so, then I usually offer 3 cake flavors and 3 filling flavors for them to taste. I don't decorate them. I cut the cake up into large cubes about 1x1 inch and put them each on a plate. Then I make the filling each in a seperate bowl. Sometimes I'll put a little buttercream in a bowl also. That way they can mix and match the cake flavors with the fillings so they can taste more choices. Also, it's not as much work for me.

As for pricing, I would go with what is standard in your area. Call around to local bakeries and stores that make wedding cakes and get their prices. Then you can come up with a good price (don't underprice yourself). Wedding cakes can be alot of work and take alot of time, especially when your not use to doing them on a regular basis.

Good luck and let us know if you get the order.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%