How Does This Sound

Decorating By TheCakerator Updated 27 Mar 2008 , 2:23pm by TheCakerator

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 3:42pm
post #1 of 32

So I have a bride coming over to my house this saturday for a consultation .. I have never done one of these before ... anyways, she is wanting a cake to feed roughly 120 people. She has sent me a few designs of what she is liking, and most of them all seem to be round stacked cakes. I was wondering how it would look if I recommended a 14in round, a 10in round and a 6in round. If they only served the 14 and 10in, and saved the 6in for their anniversary that would give them 116 servings, wiltons cutting guide. I would just like some feedback so I look competent enough to do this wedding cake. If anyone out there has other suggestions, please let me know.

31 replies
HeatherMari Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeatherMari Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 3:49pm
post #2 of 32

Hi!
Another way you could present it to give her another option would be a 6", 8", 10", 12" that would feed the same as what you are suggesting (keeping the 6" for the 1st anniversary). That way if she wants a 3 tier or 4 tier, your covered!
HTH,
HeatherMari

TheCakerator Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 4:07pm
post #3 of 32

thanks for the reply. I was thinking about those sizes as well, but I thought wedding cakes usually have more then two inches in size difference between tiers? But I could be waaaaay off on this as well!!!

pjaycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pjaycakes Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 4:12pm
post #4 of 32

You can stack cakes less than 4" difference. However, I don't really like the look; they seem to towery to me. I would show her a pic of one stacked with those sizes and then the 6-10-14 and let her decide. Also, you could suggest they eat the 6" just to make the servings over 120 and then make them another 6" cake for their anniversary. Also, if you don't have any pics you could use the actual size pans to show the look, but stacking one layer of each size. I do that alot for people, mainly just to show them how bad their cake will look stacked the way they are requesting icon_smile.gif

TheCakerator Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 4:15pm
post #5 of 32

so you prefer cakes with at least a 4in difference in sizes, over a 2in difference?

pjaycakes Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 4:39pm
post #6 of 32

That is my personal opinon. You have to remember that a 2" difference in two stacked cakes only gives you a 1" ledge on the cake below or above to add decorations; and probably 1/4" will be your border. So alot depends on the design. I have seen them done well. Utimately you can only suggest and show examples. The bride is the one that is generally going to decide what she wants. No offense to anyone, but some brides pick some real ugly cake designs icon_lol.gif

TheCakerator Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 4:41pm
post #7 of 32

I know what you mean .. I thought most cakes were at least 4in in size difference .. but with it only being three tiers, would it look really short and wide? Know what I mean?

pjaycakes Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 5:04pm
post #8 of 32

This is a 6-8-10 I did for someone. I thought it looked rather short and fat, but the bride and groom loved it. Everyone sees things differently. Just give her the choice and let her decide. Let me know what the bride goes with. Either way I'm sure you can make it look great.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1188703

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 5:06pm
post #9 of 32

See I like the look of the 2" difference. But how pjaycakes said, have those two options available and let her choose.

TheCakerator Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 5:09pm
post #10 of 32

thanks you guys! I think I prefer the 4in difference .. I went through the galleries to check out pics, unfortunately, not very many people mention what size cakes they used. That makes it hard to mentally know which ones to be able to show my bride.

golfgirl1227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
golfgirl1227 Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 6:10pm
post #11 of 32

I do a lot of 6-8-10, or cakes with 2" increments. Most cakes in my photos are this way.

TheCakerator Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 6:14pm
post #12 of 32

6,8, and 10 is a nice size combination as well, but would not be enough to feed her guests.

golfgirl1227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
golfgirl1227 Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 11:12pm
post #13 of 32

I didn't mean that she could only use a 6-8-10, I was just referring to cakes with a 2" difference in sizes. I think the majority in my pics are 6-8-10.

TheCakerator Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 11:37pm
post #14 of 32

oh, I see...

TheCakerator Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 12:06pm
post #15 of 32

Ok so I got an e mail from the bride. She is looking at a guest list of 100 people or so, and is wanting cake to feed anywhere between 75-100 people now. I know I can do a three tier round cake and get 116 servings, but what would be a nice size to do it in squares? I am just looking for options to give her. Thanks!

pjaycakes Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 12:27pm
post #16 of 32

Here is Wilton's serving guide for 1x2x4 inch pieces. You usually can get a little more from a square than a circle. You could go with the 6-8-10, but I would got with a 6-9-12 (I like the size difference better). She will get a little more cake than she wants, but I always try to factor in that they will cut their pieces a little bigger.

http://www.wilton.com/wedding/cakeinfo/cakedata.cfm

TheCakerator Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 12:32pm
post #17 of 32

thanks for the fast reply. I am wanting to save the top tier for her one year anniversary, which means that the 8in and 10in square will give her 82 servings. Do you know how many the 9in square will give me? The 12 in would give me 72. I would like for her to have a little extra cake then just enough cake because I believe people will cut the cake slices a little larger too. Thanks again!

pjaycakes Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 12:56pm
post #18 of 32

I would say about 40. So a 6-9-12 (6 being saved) would give you about 90 - 110 servings depending on the size the cut.

TheCakerator Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 1:41pm
post #19 of 32

thanks pjaycakes, you've been a great help!!!

pjaycakes Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 2:23pm
post #20 of 32

Let us know what kind of cake she chooses, and definitely post pics when you get it done. thumbs_up.gif

TheCakerator Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 3:59pm
post #21 of 32

Thanks I will!! Her wedding is in May, so it's coming up!

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 4:23pm
post #22 of 32

I personally think a 1 inch ledth is fine. This cake is a 12", 10" 8" and 6" http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1171198 I really think it's all a matter of what is on that ledge as to how it works. This bride wanted a simple 4mm pearl dragee border, and I think it would have looked awkward if she had more space. As with someone elses example, if you are packing it with shells and other stuff, 1" is probably not enough space and it will look sqautty.

Using Earlenes chart http://earlenescakes.com/ckserchart.htm this 12", 10", 8" and then saving the 6" round serves 90 people.

TheCakerator Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 5:29pm
post #23 of 32

she hasn't discussed much of what she would like on this cake. She sent me a few pics of what she has been looking at, all of them are pretty simple cakes with not a lot of border .. maybe a ribbon, or a shell border. I feel better knowing I have a few options to discuss with her though! thumbs_up.gif

Ok, so she might be interested in only having a two tier cake, ready to serve between 75-100 people .. what sizes would I use to achieve this amount of servings, but still have it look ok? I am open to both round and square options!! THANK YOU FOR ANY HELP!!!!!

TheCakerator Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 8:56pm
post #24 of 32

anyone?

pjaycakes Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 9:19pm
post #25 of 32

Well if the top tier is going to be the 6" anniversary tier, you could always do like a 6 on top of a 10 round or square and then make up the rest of the servings with a sheet cake they can put in the back.

TheCakerator Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 9:50pm
post #26 of 32

well she hasn't mentioned keeping the 6in tier for their anniversary, in fact, she has had little contact with me at all .. just a few e mails .. I was the one who thought of giving them the 6in for them to save .. but I don't have to do the 6in at all ... I just don't know what sizes would be best to use to only come up with 75-100 servings and still look ok .. height and width wise ..

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 10:09pm
post #27 of 32

There are many, many times you cannot come up with 'just enough'' servings. Give them options - this one serves 86; this one 116; this one...etc.

If you have a piece of styro, wood or somesuch to show them how big the serving size is they will understand better and decide if it's enough.
Ask if there will be other food? Sit down meal or buffet? Drinking? With a full sit down meal and hard liquor drinks people don't eat dessert as much and they could go w/a slightly smaller cake.
If it's a cake & punch reception then they need to have a cake that serves a higher number.
Let them choose!

TheCakerator Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 10:18pm
post #28 of 32

thanks kakeladi ... If I offered them a 12in round, with an 8in round on top, and no anniversary cake, that would feed according to wilton, 80. Which is a little more then the least amount they need .. but my question is, would those sizes look ok? Or would it look funny with an 8in on top of a 12in ?

shisharka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shisharka Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 11:32pm
post #29 of 32

I read in some thread here on CC that the top tier should generally be 6â, anything bigger would look as if the cake is missing its top tierâ¦

Iâve made a 12-9-6â with 4â tiers, a 12-10-8â with 3.5â tiers, and 12-10-8-6-4 with 3â tiers (Marble, Barbapapa and Barbie in my pics) and they all have a different feel to them...

It may be best to offer your client 4, max. 5 different combinations, more than that would make it harder, rather than easier, for her to choose from. Maybe combine sizes that youâd recommend for a best final look of the cake, with a note of âthis would serve 120, but you can keep the top tierâ, or âthis is for only 80, but nonetheless would look cuteâ⦠The look of the cake may be more important for her than potential left over cake (a concept I always struggle to understand, lol, I only bake for friends and family, multiple times the Wilton servings, and at every party people always asks if there would be cake to take home)â¦

Good luck and I keep my fingers crossed that you get the order!

TheCakerator Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 11:47pm
post #30 of 32

thanks shisharka! I am going to write down just a few size combinations, what it would serve, and how much it would cost her. That way during the consultation I will feel more confident, and less likely to forget something, or say something wrong. I have been asking lots of questions lately, and I appreciate EVERYONE'S help on here .. I think this just might be my last wedding cake, even though its only my second! These are just wayy to stressful, I would rather make birthday cakes any day!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%