Any Way I Can Get Around This Problem..(My Mixer Broke)

Decorating By lost_n_the_clouds Updated 25 Mar 2008 , 1:55am by calynmom

lost_n_the_clouds Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lost_n_the_clouds Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 2:21pm
post #1 of 10

Hello,

I have a baby shower tomorrow and I am doing my baking today.
I was going to make my NFSC this morning before leaving but I came to find this morning when I made the cupcakes for my shower thay my hand mixer icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif . I used to have numerous sets of mixers but over the years I have gotten rid of them..just my luck right. There is no way I can go to the store today my day is pretty packed as it is lol.

I am pretty sure it's a no but is there any way I can make the NFSC without using a mixer? The cupcakes survived hand stiring but I don't think the sugar cookies will.

Thank you so much,
Sarah icon_smile.gif

9 replies
calynmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calynmom Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 2:26pm
post #2 of 10

Don't laugh...but I had the same problem once and my husband came up with the idea of using his drill and duct taped one of the beaters to the bit and it worked just enough to get my dough mixed.

He was so proud.....or you could see if a neighor is home and try to borrow one.

oliveoyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oliveoyle Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 2:33pm
post #3 of 10

I've mixed sugar cookies many times by hand it takes some muscle but it can be done,the only other thing i can think to do would be try to borrow one. Good Luck

projectqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
projectqueen Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 2:40pm
post #4 of 10

Can you see if you can borrow one from someone close by? I'm sure it can be done by hand if you're really stuck but I would think creaming the butter and sugar enough would be pretty difficult and time consuming without a mixer.

Good luck!

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 2:56pm
post #5 of 10

My mom always made me mix cookie dough by hand. She always thought the flour mixture was too stiff for a mixer. It's tiring but entirely possible. It's at the time that my arm feels like falling off that I think about my grandmother doing this stuff without mixers. It makes me feel bad about being such a weakling. icon_lol.gif

butterflywings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflywings Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 3:01pm
post #6 of 10

don't laugh, but my first thought was the beater/drill combo too. my hubby would totally do something like that... at least for the creaming of the butter, sugar... i've made cookies by mixing by hand before, so it IS possible, just not much fun. if you know your neighbors well enough, borrow one. if you even have 5 minutes to spare, run into walmart and pick up the a cheapy one.

c420 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
c420 Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 3:04pm
post #7 of 10

If you think about it, by hand was the only way it could be done in the past. I'm sure your arm might be sore but it can be done!

lost_n_the_clouds Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lost_n_the_clouds Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 8:32pm
post #8 of 10

Helloicon_smile.gif,

Omg you guys are lifesavors. I didn't get to read anyone's answers till I got home but it was so nice to come home and see you guys trying to help ne outicon_smile.gif.
I am pretty sure I had a baking melt down in the kitchen this morning lol.
What horror to stick your mixer in your cake mix and turn it on to get nothing. I didn't freak at first I made sure it was plugged in good and the beaters where in good and then tried a half a billion times again and then freaked out lol. I kept going back through the morning trying again hoping that maybe it was just sleepnig hehe.
I do have very good news though my mother came through for me yay!!!
Apparently my mom who knew I had been wanting a new mixer she bought me one for easter but forgot to give it to me yesterday.
She wasn't home this morning so she didn't get a chance to give to me.
When I got home this afternoon she suprised me with it and it truly knocked me off my feet...wow what perfect timing...it was a baking miracle lol.
We laughed at what great timing it was.
I am on like cloud nine now...the mixer is so pretty and it even comes with it's own storage case..how neaticon_biggrin.gif.

oliveoyle,butterflywings:
Wow what a neat idea..I would have never thought about using a dril..what a wonderful hubby he is to do thaticon_biggrin.gif.

projectqueen,aswartzw
Thanks so much for giving me the tip to borrow. I know one of my neighbors her husband only likes homemade/from scratch cooking and such and I might have been able to have borrowed one.

Lol yeah you all are right it is possible but I am to lazy and would have complained about my arm lol.
I know just with the cupcakes this morning I was ahhing over my arm lol.
Ok well I am going to go make another batch of cc's and start my NFSC with my new mixer..yay

Thank you guys a million..your the best!!

Happy baking,
Sarahicon_smile.gif

butterflywings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflywings Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 11:10pm
post #9 of 10

yay! glad it worked out for you! keep that drill/beater idea locked away, someday you might need it! LOL

calynmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calynmom Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 1:55am
post #10 of 10

Yeah, the drill thing actually worked better than I could have imagined.

Duct Tape is great for so many things. !!!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%