It Finally Happened...no Trans Fat. I Have Questions..

Decorating By justfrosting Updated 24 Mar 2008 , 3:05pm by justfrosting

justfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justfrosting Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 1:59pm
post #1 of 11

I have been using the Walmart brand of crisco and they , thankfully, had not taken out the transfat until recently.

I noticed my BC was softer yesterday and it remains soft in the refrigerator.

So...CC...what I am to expect when I frost my cake tonight? Will it still crust? Will it spread? Can I use it to make shells?

Some of the old threads on this topic were lost. Thanks for all your help.

10 replies
akslice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akslice Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 2:03pm
post #2 of 11

I'm not sure, but I know sugarshack said don't use transfat free shortening. She didn't give the reason, but maybe that is why.

cuteums Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cuteums Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 2:10pm
post #3 of 11

The stuff is horrible. The frosting just kind of melts so you end up with a mushy pile instead of a rose. Last I checked Stop and Shop's store brand still had trans fat. If you can't find it you may have to start ordering hi-ratio shortening. I can't find it anywhere locally by me but maybe you can.

You might even be better off just using real butter or margarine too.

justfrosting Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 2:21pm
post #4 of 11

What about using it for a crumb coat and second coat. Will it just melt off? I have a fondant covered cake to make tonight.

Also, I have three batches of this stuff already make before I noticed. Anything I can add to save it?

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 2:22pm
post #5 of 11

check out your local small walmarts, big lots and discount stores as I have been able to find 1lb. cans of crisco not trans fat free and I bought up 10 cans.
You can find them but it's hard.
I switched to high ratio shortening to beat this though in the long run as this seems to be the way all shortening is going....sorry but crisco is crisco, you aint making it any healthier by taking out the transfat, people will still buy lard for heaven's sake!
I admit no trans fat is great as far as frying and such, but shoot, I dont anyone who fries any more either!

I am going to die, that's a given, so let me eat my cake with trans fat icing please!
Now I'll sub out my frying but GIVE ME MY TRANS FAT SHORTENING!!!!!! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

mellormom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellormom Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 2:28pm
post #6 of 11

My shorting has no trans fat and it seems to work fine under fondant. I have had no problems with that. I don't do buttercream roses so I'm not sure about that but you good under the fondant.

justfrosting Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 2:32pm
post #7 of 11

Thanks so much. I was dreading throwing it all away!

Sandra80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sandra80 Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 2:32pm
post #8 of 11

indydebi has a great recipe for buttercream that uses the 0 trans fat crisco. i've used it and it works great and is delicious.

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 2:38pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra80

indydebi has a great recipe for buttercream that uses the 0 trans fat crisco. i've used it and it works great and is delicious.

yup yup! Thanks for the reminder!

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 2:53pm
post #10 of 11

Also I believe that Wilton has adapted their recipe for the Trans fat free shortening. I believe there is a difference if you use butter/Crisco vs. all Crisco but at the time I can't remember what it is.

justfrosting Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 3:05pm
post #11 of 11

I used the crusting BC recipe with 1/2 cup butter and 1 1/2 cup shortening. Hope it works.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%