Sugarshack Icing Questions

Decorating By vickster Updated 7 Jul 2008 , 6:26pm by sugarshack

vickster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickster Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 4:13pm
post #1 of 24

I bought sugar shacks icing video. It's really good, but I have a few questions on the mixing of the icing. Yesterday I did , I guess you'd say, quadruple batch of buttercream, 4 lbs of sugar, 4 cups shortening/butter, and it still was not filling up my mixer to the top of the paddle as shown in the video. I have the 6 qt KA professional where the bowl lifts up and down. I'm a little nervous about overheating my machine, but I waswondering how big a batch some of you are doing. Also, she kind of makes a big deal about not mixing air in, but I don't understand how air won't mix in as you're adding the ingredients because the paddle is not going to be submerged until all the ingredients are added. And this last one is not specifically a sugarshack question. I've tried changing the order of how I put my ingredients in, but I still tend to get either a few little tiny lumps of shortening or a few little tiny lumps of butter in my frosting. I let the butter get totally room temperature and that seems to help, but I'm still getting some small lumps of shortening.

23 replies
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 6:55pm
post #2 of 24

don't know about sugar shacks recipe, but what i do is mix the shortening and butter until smooth, then add the flavorings & liquid, and beat (sometimes i think the longer the better) until its a nice smooth consistency and it almost resembles pudding. Then i add 1/2 my sugar, beat until smooth (make sure to cover the bowl) then add the rest of the sugar and beat, if i have beaten in too much air, which is often the case, i let the icing rest (i like to make a day before i use it) then put it in the mixer and just turn it on to stir, the icing will be nice a smooth and go on like a dream.

tippyad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tippyad Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 7:11pm
post #3 of 24

I use a 5 qt mixer. First I mix my wet ingredients, salt, meringue powder... and a small amount of 10x. Then add the rest of the 10x a little at a time. Always on low speed.

You said you have a 6qt mixer. If I'm not mistaken on the youtube video it seems to me that SS uses a 5 qt mixer. I borrowed a friend's 6 qt the other day to see if it made a difference. And oh boy how it did! FOR THE WORSE! I'm sticking w/ my 5 qt!

Maybe try to do your recipe x6???

becklynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becklynn Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 7:47pm
post #4 of 24

There is a video on youtube.com of Sharon (sugarshack)actually making a batch of her icing. Just go to youtube and put "Buttercream Icing" in the search. It's very helpful!

imagine76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagine76 Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 7:51pm
post #5 of 24

i have the same mixer as you and i think sugar shack uses a 5 qt. anywho, i used 6 cups of short, 6 lbs p. sugar, pinch of salt and about 2 1/2 cups liquid creamer. i use the collar that came with the machine to cut down on the mess. all the short and liquid, pinch of salt and mix the heck out of it till it's very fluffy (paddle attachment) and then add the p. sugar, 1/3 of a bag at a time and scrape after each addition. i mix on about #3 on the mixer until all the sugar is in and then i let 'er rip at 6 for a while. on saturday i just mixed while i cleaned up some kitchen mess and really didn't pay it much attention. it must've gone a good 6 minutes before i shut it off and it was perfect.

it's the 3rd time i've used her method and the middle time i had some lumps but i think i didn't scrape enough with that round. so, i say, next time since you got the big mama (that's what i call myself too) mixer, add 2 more cups, 2 more lbs etc. and scrape a LOT!

Jennifer9800 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennifer9800 Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 7:54pm
post #6 of 24

1. Yesterday I did , I guess you'd say, quadruple batch of buttercream, 4 lbs of sugar, 4 cups shortening/butter, and it still was not filling up my mixer to the top of the paddle as shown in the video. I have the 6 qt KA professional where the bowl lifts up and down.
2. Also, she kind of makes a big deal about not mixing air in, but I don't understand how air won't mix in as you're adding the ingredients because the paddle is not going to be submerged until all the ingredients are added.
3. And this last one is not specifically a sugarshack question. I've tried changing the order of how I put my ingredients in, but I still tend to get either a few little tiny lumps of shortening or a few little tiny lumps of butter in my frosting. I let the butter get totally room temperature and that seems to help, but I'm still getting some small lumps of shortening.[/quote]
1. Her recipe calls for 5 lbs of powdered sugar so u need to add half a bag more. That might help fill your mixing bowl more. She uses the 5qt bowl so you may need to increase your recipe by a bit. It's pretty much a lb. of sugar per cup of short/butter so you can adjust as needed.
2. Don't worry about the air bubble part until the end. There is no way to submurge the paddle until ur finished with all the ingrediants. Then listen to the mix. If it's making that "smacking" air sound and making air pockets break through the surface you need to add more creamer liquid to the icing until it stopps a little at a time (maybe a teaspoon at a time). I like mine a little wetter cause it smooths on much easier in my climate.
3. Cream your shortening and butter together first. I usually get mine whipping and make my creamer liquid while it's blending so it's nice and smooth. It looks like pudding like mentioned above. Also mixing it for a long time changes the butter and makes it more white, not sure why, it's not the shortening changing it's color either. When butter is whipped it lightens. The air bubbles if any will work out at the end.

She has added the video of her making her icing on youtube.com so check that out. I did!! just go to u tube and type in sharons sugar shack. It'll find it.

tippyad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tippyad Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 8:14pm
post #7 of 24

here is the link:

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 10:51pm
post #8 of 24

JSchuman is a Sugarshack icing expert! TEE HEE!

She answered all of the questions just as I would! She is correct!

also, here is a 6 quart recipe my pal uses (of my icing) and she gets perfect results:

---------------------------------------------------------------------

3 lbs sweetex (usse a kitchen scale)

6.5 lbs powdered sugar (use a 4 cup measuing cup, 4 cups=1 lb)

9 tbsp wedding bouquet

11 tbsp hot coffe mate liquid

cream sweetex and liquids on first speed very well. add half amount of powdered sugar, let mix 30 seconds, then add rest of powdered sugar. scrape sides of bowl very well turn speed up one notch, mix for 9 minutes. scrape sides of bowl around top, mix for 1 minute longer. (Do not turn off mixer durning this scraping!) now, turn off mixer, remove paddle and cover with plastic wrap. let sit for 1 hour or longer.

rlowry03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlowry03 Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 1:09am
post #9 of 24

Sugarshack, I made my first batch of your icing today. Love your video BTW.

It tastes great, but I ended up with so much air in the mix. Super fluffy and light but no way I'll ever get it smooth. Can it be saved?

rlowry03 Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 1:15am
post #10 of 24

Sugarshack, I made my first batch of your recipe today. Love the video BTW.

It tastes great but I ended up with soooo much air in the mix. Is there any way to save it? Its super light and fluffy but I'll never get it smooth like this.

sugarshack Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 2:17am
post #11 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlowry03

Sugarshack, I made my first batch of your recipe today. Love the video BTW.

It tastes great but I ended up with soooo much air in the mix. Is there any way to save it? Its super light and fluffy but I'll never get it smooth like this.

ok you can :

1) make another batch stiffish. Then combine half and half in the mixer bowl till it is super full. add hot liquid one tespoon at a time ripping at speed 6 till it smooths out.

2) use a hand held mixer ( but must have good motor). fill a bowl full so beaters are covered and bowl full side to side and add a teaspoon or so of HOT liquid and try to get it smoothed out

3) hand mix portions in a bowl with a big spoon adding a tad of liquid, to get it as smooth as you can

HTH

so the real question is: what do you think caused you to get all the air in the first place?

either a) not enough volume for your bowl

b) needed more liquid

let me know....

rlowry03 Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 12:56am
post #12 of 24

Thanks sugarshack, I'll see if I can save this batch.

I'm not totally sure what went wrong, I'm thinking I didn't have enough liquid because the bowl was totally full. Icing was everywhere!

sugarshack Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 1:01am
post #13 of 24

sounds like it to me

and use your sopon to work that icng down like i show in the video

thumbs_up.gif

likitiki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
likitiki Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 1:43pm
post #14 of 24

Sharon, I noticed that you gave a weight measurement for the 6qt size bowl. Do you have your original recipe for the 5qt bowl by weight instead of cups? I recently purchased a good kitchen scale, and would love to use that for the shortening. I think that would be much easier. Thank you sooooo much for the recipes and all of the help that you give!!!
Melissa

terri76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terri76 Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 2:03pm
post #15 of 24

Sharon~you are great...so patient with all of us asking all of these questions and giving your advice on your icing!!!!

I've not been able to try your recipe for your icing b/c I can't find anywhere around my area that sells the hi-ratio shortening. icon_cry.gif I've used your mixing advice on my regular BC and it's made a world of difference in how it turns out.

Do most people order their hi-ratio or get it at a local store? I'm would love to try the recipe but I don't know if I would come out in the long run on the price of my cakes and the increase in the price of my shortening having to order it. What do y'all think? icon_confused.gif

~~terri~~

sugarshack Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 3:26pm
post #16 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by likitiki

Sharon, I noticed that you gave a weight measurement for the 6qt size bowl. Do you have your original recipe for the 5qt bowl by weight instead of cups? I recently purchased a good kitchen scale, and would love to use that for the shortening. I think that would be much easier. Thank you sooooo much for the recipes and all of the help that you give!!!
Melissa

Sorry, no I don't. the 6 quart recipe is form my pal Wendy. I use the scoop method....LOL

sugarshack Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 3:28pm
post #17 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by terri76

Sharon~you are great...so patient with all of us asking all of these questions and giving your advice on your icing!!!!

I've not been able to try your recipe for your icing b/c I can't find anywhere around my area that sells the hi-ratio shortening. icon_cry.gif I've used your mixing advice on my regular BC and it's made a world of difference in how it turns out.

Do most people order their hi-ratio or get it at a local store? I'm would love to try the recipe but I don't know if I would come out in the long run on the price of my cakes and the increase in the price of my shortening having to order it. What do y'all think? icon_confused.gif

~~terri~~

you do not HAVE to have hi ratio. the technique will work with other recipes as well.

my recipe will work with reg shortening too; I just do not like it as much as hi ratio.

HTH

terri76 Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 4:00pm
post #18 of 24

Ohhhhh...thanks a bunch Sharon! I've got three cakes for this weekend and I think I'll try your recipe. Thank you!!! thumbs_up.gif

~~terri~~

Bettycrockermommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bettycrockermommy Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 4:06pm
post #19 of 24

I use Sharon's recipe, but substitute lemon flavoring and milk for the wedding bouquet and creamer. I also use regular shortening, and I love the way my icing comes out. Thanks for sharing with us!

terri76 Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 4:36pm
post #20 of 24

Where can you get the wedding bouquet flavoring? I've never heard of it until I found this site and I can't find it around here either, even in a larger town nearby. (I live in a very small town in South MS)

~~terri~~

sugarshack Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 4:39pm
post #21 of 24

It's made locally by a lady here; you have to call:

B & B Cake Decorating Supplies

1 review - Write a review

13096 Shannon Ln
Hammond, LA 70401

(985) 542-8079

Homemade-Goodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Homemade-Goodies Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 11:47am
post #22 of 24

What would you describe Wedding Bouquet flavoring to be like? I think flowers, which isn't very appealing...

buttercream_dreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buttercream_dreams Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 6:09pm
post #23 of 24

Ok, so i followed the instructions to a t, using HRS and all other called for ingredients, it was coming out perfectly. i was on the last step, of mixing on high speed (6) for 5-7minutes.
I went upstairs to my computer, and forgot about it!!!

Now, when i came down, it looks all separated- even though it was looking perfect just minutes earlier.

what could have been the problem? is there a way to save the icing?

I've put it into the fridge to see if that cools it down a bit, so that i can try to re-beat it, as i think maybe the hot liquid that i added, and the combination of the "friction" heat from the KA might have done this..

has this ever happened to anyone else, or even you Sharon??

If anyone can offer some insight on what i did wrong (besides leaving it mixing for more like, 25 min)
or ideas on how to fix it would be great guys.

tia

sugarshack Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 6:26pm
post #24 of 24

No, never happened to me, but I never beat it that long! LOL

I think you are on the right track. let it cool off all the way and try to rebeat.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%