Covering Cake Dummy..general Questions...!

Decorating By cindww Updated 23 Mar 2008 , 2:52pm by cakequeen50

cindww Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindww Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 1:55pm
post #1 of 2

Hey gang,
Happy Easter to all!
I'm planning a cake for my grandma's 90th and have some general questions about using a cake dummy. How far in advance can I cover the dummy in fondant and decorate it? Also, should I cover the bottom part of the dummy with something since it'll be resting on the cake underneath it?

One more question: the cake will be three tiers, the 4" dummy being the 3rd tier. Would it be safe to stack at home in advance or should I place the dummy tier on at the party site?

Wish me luck, guys! I'm nervous about this one since I"ll be using fondant which I haven't had alot of practice with.

Cindy

1 reply
cakequeen50 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakequeen50 Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 2:52pm
post #2 of 2

You can cover the dummy a day ahead with no problems, You can probably do it farther ahead but I don't know if you are planning to color it or not, sometimes the color will change a bit as it sits in the light.

You should put a fondant circle under the dummy cake, you don't want any styrofoam flaking on the real cake. It probably won't happen, but I would do it just in case.

You can construct the entire cake before hand. just wet the connection of the top and second tier and your styro layer won't go anywhere with the fondant attached. Of you can put it on when you get there, I always like to have everything done, not having to mess with it again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%