Diabetic - Sugar Free Cake

Baking By stlalohagal Updated 23 Mar 2008 , 6:19am by scgriffiths

stlalohagal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stlalohagal Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 4:23am
post #1 of 4

Hi all! I've got a friend that asked for a full sheet cake for her father's 70th birthday party... one catch. He's Diabetic and needs a sugar free cake but the family still wants traditional cake for everyone else. Ok, problem solved with a small cake 'stacked' on the sheet cake just for him. My problem is -- I've never made a sugar free cake! HELP! Also, do I charge her extra for that little cake because I'll have to make a full batch for just that small cake, and I'll have to get 'special' ingredients that I don't normally have, and how much do I charge her??? Any advice and recipe's you have would be most helpful!!! Thanks!

- Paula

3 replies
daveilg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daveilg Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 4:39am
post #2 of 4

Before you get too far read this post. It directly relates to most of your questions. Before you try to price it see what you think after reading the post. You may change your mind. I wanted to do some sugar-free cakes, but the starch in a cake converts to sugar as you body processes it. I had a diabetic tell me that sugar-free is just that and is not necessarily icon_biggrin.gifiabetic"!

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-580015.html

Go to Splenda.com and check them out as well.

Hope this helps

Dave

stlalohagal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stlalohagal Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 5:53am
post #3 of 4

Thanks Dave!

OK, Well now I'm even more concerned/confused (and that's not hard to do!) icon_smile.gif I hate to go and buy the Splenda and I found a recipe there for buttercream but I assume that it too would need to be consumed in the 24 hrs. I usually don't do many cakes, just here and there for friends and family, so baking the day before is not a big deal if i can get the full sheet part done in advance. I could even finish the icing that morning if I baked the cake the night before. I also saw a recipe for a Sugar Free Applesauce cake... anyone try that one??? It was here on CC. I'm going to ask her which she thinks is OK I guess and go from there.

Thanks!!

- Paula

scgriffiths Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scgriffiths Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 6:19am
post #4 of 4

I'm not sure if you'll like this idea, but I just made my first diabetic fruit cake, and it's one of the best fruit cakes I've ever tasted!!! (And fruit cakes are very popular here!!)

I've tried to post the recipe, but couldn't get it to work, so here it is:

1 kg mixed fruit
400ml apricot nectar
1/3 cup brandy
2 cups SR flour
2 eggs

Soak fruit in nectar and brandy overnight. Add flour and eggs and mix together. Cook in slow oven 150 degrees C for 1 1/4 hours.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%