post #61 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcook1670

...down with frozen supermarket cakes

icon_biggrin.gif he he he

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 2:23am
post #62 of 82

There is a bakery by me in MI that has in their contract that they can do fondant cakes but all of it must be peeled off before cut and serve. They told this to a Chef who worked at the Ritz Carleton. She asked why and they said all fondant tastes horrid. She then said "You obviously are buying the cheap tapedshut.gif or you don't have the skill to make your own." She then went on to say if you did all buttercream and no fondant that's fine, but if I'm paying for fondant I want to be able to eat it. She tore them a new one and set them straight.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 11:45pm
post #63 of 82

HAd a bride in today who had been doing some good comparison shopping. They had been to a local bakery in town that is very good, very prestigeous, lotsa clout, great reputation. This bakery told bride that "....you get the same number of servings from a round cake as you do a square cake. People will tell you there are more in a square cake, but there's not." icon_eek.gif

I said, "Sit right there." I went to the kitchen, picked up a 10" round and a 10" square pan. Brought them back to the couple. Laid the round pan over the square pan and said, "See those corners sticking out? That's where ALL THE EXTRA CAKE WOULD BE!!!" They laughed and said it was just common sense to them, too!

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 3:17am
post #64 of 82

HA HA! That's funny Indy. If there is the same # of serving in a square cake as a round than someone needs to tell my cake batter that. I have to use more batter for any square cake compared to a round. (Either that or cake fairies are steeling the batter magically and I just have not caught them yet.)

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 3:24am
post #65 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkolmar

HA HA! That's funny Indy. If there is the same # of serving in a square cake as a round than someone needs to tell my cake batter that. I have to use more batter for any square cake compared to a round. (Either that or cake fairies are steeling the batter magically and I just have not caught them yet.)

hahaha!! You guys crack me up!

Lesia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lesia Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 3:37am
post #66 of 82

I've got two - the first one was my own experience when I was shopping for a baker for my wedding cake. I wanted the Wilton "Black Tie" cake (the one with the diagonal icing swags, and the 2 champagne glasses sitting on a separator plate between the tiers). Anyhow, we made an appointment with one of the more popular bakeries in town. The woman was a psychopath! When I showed her the cake I wanted, she went wacko on us - said she would NEVER make a cake like that because the champagne would spill! WTH? I wasn't even a cake decorator back then, but even I knew that the glasses wouldn't be placed until set-up. What, was she planning on delivering it with them filled? Needless to say, she did NOT get hired.

The next one was a comment from one of my brides when I had my shop. She had already been to a couple other tastings, and was shocked that none of the cakes in my portfolio had top borders. She said she had been told by another decorator that a cake cannot be iced WITHOUT a top border, and that only inexperienced decorators make cakes without top borders. HUH??? icon_confused.gif

akgirl10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akgirl10 Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 8:16am
post #67 of 82

"only inexperienced decorators make cakes without top borders"???????

Huh? Sounds like that baker doesn't know how to ice a cake!

mrswatkins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrswatkins Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 9:12am
post #68 of 82

Sorry but I am going off subject because I was looking on AOC and he now charges a minimum of 1000 per cake....

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 10:51am
post #69 of 82

I had a bride in who was told by another baker that they wouldn't do buttercream cakes without a top border.

Weird.

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 11:11am
post #70 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by karateka

I had a bride in who was told by another baker that they wouldn't do buttercream cakes without a top border.

Weird.

I tend to put top borders on bc cakes, but mainly because I'm sh*t at getting a nice edge on the top (always have this ridge thing going on!). Give me fondant any day of the week lol!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 11:39am
post #71 of 82

When I get a bride who requests no top border, I always joke about "Oh you're going to make me work harder for this one, aren't you?" When they look at me weird, I explain that many people think "no border" is simpler and less work, and explain how the border covers the 'seam' between the top and sides of the cake.

"When you ask me to do no border, then I have to work harder to make that transition really smooth and pretty for you."

Sorry but when I was inexperienced, I couldn't do that! It took lots and lots of practice!!

Muse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Muse Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 4:24pm
post #72 of 82

As for the frozen Wal-Mart cakes... I work with a guy who used to manage a Wal-Mart and he used to supervise incoming shipments. He said that every cake and almost all the donuts that the bakery sells comes frozen and ready made. Why do they even have ovens back there anyway? It should just be a big ass freezer stacked to the ceiling with cakes and a folding table out front with the "bakers" sitting there twiddling their thumbs.

tcakes65 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcakes65 Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 4:24pm
post #73 of 82

There is one cake decorator in my town that tells brides that all the other cake decorators have dry cake. icon_eek.gif Some of the brides actually believe this. I find it interesting that they would actually believe that only one cake decorator out of 20 or more would have moist cake and that the rest taste horrible. Recently, I had a bride ask me what brand of strawberries I use. She said she was told by a decorator only a certain brand was suitable for wedding cakes, and if I wasn't using that paricular brand, then I wasn't doing things the right way. icon_confused.gif I think my favorite is when brides are told that cakes cannot be iced smooth with buttercream, and the only way to get a smooth finish is by using fondant. And last but not least, I came across a couple of brides recently that were told by a decorator that each tier of a wedding cake had to be the same flavor and that they could not have each tier a different flavor. I hope that was just a personal preference or for brides on a budget. However, the brides were convinced when they came to my testings that they couldn't have multiple flavors.

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 4:45pm
post #74 of 82

I haven't read through this thread, but we have a baker here in Toronto that is so irritating! She tells customers that the bottom tier of wedding cakes can't contain any filling at all, or they would collapse. icon_mad.gif WTF??

She's been doing cakes for decades, but honestly believes this idiotic theory.

Her bottom tiers of wedding cakes are 4" tall SOLID CAKES??!!

Whenever I get clients inquiring with me after having had a consultation with her, they are both confused and delighted that their cake can indeed be filled.

How bizarre is that? Such stupid information. thumbsdown.gif

bkdcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bkdcakes Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 5:52pm
post #75 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by aligotmatt

Another fun one today... bride called and said the caterer told her they will NOT cut a fondant cake unless she has it peeled first!!

How in the world is a bride to 'have her cake peeled'???

call in gypsy rose lee!!!!

(cue stripper music)

ROFLMAO!!!!

You know, I must be awfully sheltered. I'd never heard of paying for someone to cut the cake until I'd been on CC. Of course, most regular folks around here don't have caterers for weddings, only the richest people. Weddings are usually just cake & punch, maybe fruit trays. I had almost 300 people at my wedding, but we didn't have a meal. I just don't see that it's necessary to feed all those people icon_confused.gif to have a nice wedding reception.

loriemoms Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 6:03pm
post #76 of 82

Dry Cakes: I also had brides tell me that they were told that a wedding cake has to be a dry cake to hold it up against fondant and decorations. That a moist cake would just colaspe. They also were told that you cannot cut a moist cake into wedding size pieces, so you have to ORDER MORE CAKE! I almost died the first time I heard that one..so I grabbed a knife and cut my samples into nice thin slices.

I wonder if those bakeries that want the fondant peeled have a logo like:

Sale! Peel and Eat Cake!

cakedout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedout Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 8:34pm
post #77 of 82

Here's one I always liked:

A bride came to me wanting a cake with black stringwork..... she talked to another baker and they told her that there was no such thing as a true "black" icing, that you had to mix a bunch of colors together to make it and it just looked ikky. icon_confused.gif

Ummmm....what planet are these people from? Can you can black food coloring? icon_twisted.gif

Tashablueyes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tashablueyes Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 6:47am
post #78 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerGirlMN

Oh, didn't you know? Fondant is evil, horrible stuff. It causes birth defects and disease and.. bad hair days. It kills millions of dolphins every year, and everytime someone eats fondant, a kitten dies.

Serious. You should avoid the stuff. Only satan eats fondant.

Yep! And if it's black or red, you get acne and then you implode! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

loriemoms Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 11:42am
post #79 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tashablueyes

Quote:

Oh, didn't you know? Fondant is evil, horrible stuff. It causes birth defects and disease and.. bad hair days. It kills millions of dolphins every year, and everytime someone eats fondant, a kitten dies.

Yep! And if it's black or red, you get acne and then you implode! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

LOL!!! You guys are NUTS! (does eating fondant make you nuts too?)

Alligande Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alligande Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 11:49am
post #80 of 82

I also want to add that I have heard that squares and other shapes cost more per serving than rounds. Really limited choice of cake and tier sizes I am guessing the bakery does not own odd size pans.
Then there are the fondant strippers, the brides are not told about this, a couple of venues and caterers strip the fondant of the cakes before cutting. Two reasons: Fondant can be so gross that the venue/caterer does not want to be associated with it (I can understand this..thank you Wilton). And then there is it is hard to cut quickly. I have asked a couple of the offending business why am I paying lots of money for good quality fondant that ends up in the bin, and I get the shoulder shrug.

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 11:50am
post #81 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriemoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tashablueyes

Quote:

LOL!!! You guys are NUTS! (does eating fondant make you nuts too?)

Isn't that why you peel the cake?

loriemoms Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 12:18pm
post #82 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alligande

I also want to add that I have heard that squares and other shapes cost more per serving than rounds. Really limited choice of cake and tier sizes I am guessing the bakery does not own odd size pans.
Then there are the fondant strippers, the brides are not told about this, a couple of venues and caterers strip the fondant of the cakes before cutting. Two reasons: Fondant can be so gross that the venue/caterer does not want to be associated with it (I can understand this..thank you Wilton). And then there is it is hard to cut quickly. I have asked a couple of the offending business why am I paying lots of money for good quality fondant that ends up in the bin, and I get the shoulder shrug.

I hear from brides ALL THE TIME that other bakeries charge more for square and hex shaped cakes. They have asked me my honest opinion on why I think they do that..I tell them the only thing i can think of is these are large bakeries that have levels of decorators and they can have the lower levels who get paid less to do the round cakes and the higher levels that get paid more to do the square cakes, because they are harder to do. I am only guessing on it, because I dont get it..why should they pay extra for someone because they can't ice a square cake? Now I can understand if it is a price per cake (because square serves more) but this is price per serving..

Oh yeah, I forgot.square doesnt serve more!!!

These places that peel the fondant also must be used to getting fondant that has been rolled 2 inches thick. A properly rolled fondant cake doesnt require anything extra in cutting, as long as its a serated knife!

These places sure need some educating! hahaha!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%