Fondant Vs. Gumpaste - Which Is Better For What Use?

Decorating By born2bake Updated 23 Mar 2008 , 5:04pm by gscout73

born2bake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
born2bake Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 10:44pm
post #1 of 6

First I'd like to know - Fondant vs. gumpaste - which is better for what use?

Second, I'm going to attempt to make a bow for a cake, haven't decided if it will be a 'loopy' looking bow (like on the back of girl's dress) or a present bow (like on a pacakge). But what type of frositng would you suggest for making either of these?

And what about cut outs. Is there a preference or a taste over which one is better?

I guess what I'm asking is depending on what type of look I want would depend on what type of frosting to use . . . right?

Thanks!
B2B

5 replies
jo_ann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jo_ann Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 10:59pm
post #2 of 6

If you need something to hold it's shape quickly(within a day or two) I would recommend gumpaste as it dries hard. If you are making something that will not lose it's shape then fondant is good. Usually I like to use a combination of both as it gives me time to work with it yet it will dry hard and hold it's shape.

I love Nicholas Lodge's gumpaste recipe but I have used Satin Ice with tylose powder added into it.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 11:16pm
post #3 of 6

I used fondant for most thing like bows, cutouts etc. For flowers you usually need gp.
Fondant can be strengthened by adding Tylos powder to it as close to gp as you can get w/o actually making gp icon_smile.gif Good for most things including some flowers.
BTW: A 'loopy' bow usually means like the one on a pkg. The type on a dress is called a dress bow.

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 11:17pm
post #4 of 6

If you are looking to make a fondant bow, there are a few tutorials out there. Cake Boss has one. I believe there's one under the "articles" section on this site. I use a fondant/gumpaste mixture to make most hard drying flowers. I use fondant by itself to cover cakes and for other accent pieces.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 5:04pm
post #6 of 6

Also keep in mind: are what you are making going to be eaten? Gum paste is not good to eat, fondant is. I use fondant as much as possible. After all, why have the decorations/flowers on the cake if they cannot be eaten? icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%