What's Wrong With My Cakes??

Decorating By Kitty484 Updated 22 Mar 2008 , 10:31pm by izzybee

Kitty484 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitty484 Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 10:21pm
post #1 of 4

Whenever I make sponge cakes, even fairy buns, they go really crispy on the outside!
On the inside they are lovely, really light and fluffy, but the top and sides seem to develop a kind of crust. It doesn't taste bad and is sometimes a nice contrast but it's really quite annoying as I don't know what is causing it! icon_sad.gif
I have tried different temperatures and times, different recipes and proportions of ingredients but this still keeps happening. It doesn't make any difference whether it's a plain or flavoured cake and it happens with plain sponge and madeira (pound) cake as well.
What am I doing wrong?? icon_cry.gif
Mel

3 replies
minkiemoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minkiemoo Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 10:26pm
post #2 of 4

This happens to me if I dont use bake even strips - well mine are an old towel cut into strips actually.

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 10:26pm
post #3 of 4

Possibly because most sponge cakes have a lower flour to sugar ratio than butter cakes, and less (or no) butter/oil, if I recall. My angel food and genoise cakes do the same thing. I think it's just the nature of that type of cake; nothing wrong with them...

izzybee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
izzybee Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 10:31pm
post #4 of 4

All sponge cake, because of the sugar suspended in the whipped eggs, crisps. It should soften while cooling on the top, not always on the sides. Same with Angel food cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%