Need Help Quick, Wanting To Make A Lemon Cake From A Box

Decorating By Smiller94 Updated 29 Mar 2008 , 12:54pm by MessiET

Smiller94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smiller94 Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 6:42pm
post #1 of 20

Hi,

I am needing to make a cake today for Easter.

What I am wanting to do is use a Vanilla box cake mix but add lemon flavors to it. I am wanting to use lemon juice from the lemons and lemon zest. What I am worried about though is I have no recipe for this so I am not comfortable with measurements.

With the box cake I am using applesause in replace of the oil because I have heard it makes the cake more moisture. Hope it works.

Another questions I have is I am wanting to use Dickenson's store bought lemon curd for my filling. If I use the lemon curd as my filling does it need to be refrigerated.

Any help greatly appreciated,

Thanks alot icon_smile.gif

19 replies
step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 7:48pm
post #2 of 20

Do you have a yellow cake mix? I am wondering if you use vanilla it might take away from the lemon flavor but it might just make it sweeter.

I am looking at a recipe in the cake mix dr. book and it uses 1 package lemon gelatin, 2/3 cup oil(yes you can substitute applesauce, I believe?) 2/3 cup water, and 4 large eggs. I have never substituted applesauce so I am sure that someone else could help you there. I think if you use JUST lemon juice that you have to squeeze out quite a bit. THIS recipe said that the gelatin is 3 oz....so you may want to do that much! I don't know if I was any help! icon_cry.gif

saj_stuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saj_stuff Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 8:04pm
post #3 of 20

Actually, I did a blind taste test with some friends...box lemon vs. Cake Mix Dr. lemon...the BOX WON...hands down! The jello wasn't lemony enough and the texture turned people off. Don't want to offend anyone that adores that recipe...just what I found out in my amateur survey. icon_smile.gif Hope that helps!

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 8:09pm
post #4 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by saj_stuff

Actually, I did a blind taste test with some friends...box lemon vs. Cake Mix Dr. lemon...the BOX WON...hands down! The jello wasn't lemony enough and the texture turned people off. Don't want to offend anyone that adores that recipe...just what I found out in my amateur survey. icon_smile.gif Hope that helps!

oh yeah! I didn't know...have never made the recipe...it was the only thing I had on hand to reference!

How much juice would you use then?

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 8:19pm
post #5 of 20

I made one last night using yellow cake mix.

I added white choco pudding(I didn't have vanilla), 1 C Low Fat lemon yogart, 1/2 C buttermilk, 1/2 C vegetable oil, 1tsp lemon zest, 1/4 C lemon juice. I filled it with homemade lemon curd and added lemon curd to my IMBC and frosted it.

I haven't tasted it yet...we're having it tonight after dinner.

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 8:27pm
post #6 of 20

I add a small box of instant lemon pudding, ans sub part of the water for frozen lemonade concentrate.

biancas_mommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
biancas_mommy Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 8:30pm
post #7 of 20

i have one in the oven right now...it's a WASC cake with lemon extract in place of the almond. so a "white LEMON sour cream cake." i've made it before and it's delicious. i use lemon buttercream with it, too, just my regular buttercream recipe with a teaspoon of lemon extract.

it's not SUPER lemony...it's a very light, delicate lemon. but it's good. you could just add another teaspoon of lemon extract to make it more lemony, i'm sure.

the WASC recipe if you don't have it is on this site in the recipes, search fo "white almond sour cream." delicious cake, also very durable so it holds up well under fondant or as a tiered cake.

i'd also like to know if lemon curd has to be refrigerated. i found a lemon curd recipe on here that i'd like to try as a filling (i've just filled with the lemon buttercream before) but i'm not sure if it needs refrigeration or not.

ladyonzlake Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 8:43pm
post #8 of 20

If it's homemade it does need to be refrigerated. I bring my cakes out a couple hours before serving.

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 8:56pm
post #9 of 20

I've not tried them yet, but would think you could use a diff. mix. They're from DH cook book. Yes you can use applesauce---back of box should tell you how much. If you're wanting a lemon flavor the juice & zest won't give much. Yes curd needs refrigeration--should be ok for a couple of hours though

Lemon Pop

Lemon Mix
Lemon Instant Pudding
4 Eggs
2/3 c oil
1 C Sprite

Triple Lemon

Lemon Mix
Lemon Jello
4 eggs
3/4 C oil
3/4 C Water

onceuponacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onceuponacake Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 9:20pm
post #10 of 20

i use white cake mix, whole eggs (which gives it a light yellow color), prepare as usual then add 1 tbs lemon extract and a little lemon zest.

ive tried adding lemon juice, but the flavor doesnt come out right to me. i personally like a light lemon taste and this gives me that light lemony flavor

snoopy3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snoopy3 Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 9:31pm
post #11 of 20

I have an order for lemon cupcakes in a few weeks. I have never made, is the box lemon not good?? I was just going to use the box mix. I use Betty Crocker's supermoist french vanilla and it is amazing!

Smiller94 Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 9:44pm
post #12 of 20

thanks alot for the replys, I can't wait to try some of these wonderful recipes.

onceuponacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onceuponacake Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 9:45pm
post #13 of 20

ive made lemon cake mix before, but to me the lemon flavor its too strong. just my opinion

JEM530 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JEM530 Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 9:53pm
post #14 of 20

I just made a lemon cake for Easter. It was a lemon cake mix, I added some lemon oil since the batter barely had lemon flavor! Just 2 drops and it was perfect. I am filling it with a lemon pudding. Let's hope my picky MIL likes it! icon_smile.gif

Juds2323 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Juds2323 Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 4:08am
post #15 of 20

I have a lemon cake in the oven right now. I use a box of lemon pudding added to a white cake mix, I use whole eggs instead of whites and sub some of the water with fresh lemon juice about 1/2 a lemon worth and add a little zest too. My family and friends really like it. It's not overpowering. I use a lemon mousse for a filling.

Judi

ladyonzlake Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 1:42pm
post #16 of 20

We had the lemon cake last night and it was AWSOME!!

Smiller94 Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 11:07pm
post #17 of 20

thanks for all the replys, the lemon cake was awesome. I was told today that is was my best tasting cake I have made so far. Very happy about thaticon_smile.gif I feel more comfortable decorating than I do baking.

Thanks alot for all the help, I am looking forward to trying the recipes that were posted.

In the end here is the recipe I used

1 box of DH Yellow Butter cake box
3 eggs
1/2 c of butter
1/2 c of applesause
3/4 c of water
1/2 c of lemon juice from lemons
1 tbp of lemon zest

Awesome cake

I used lemon curd for the filling and cream cheese lemon buttercream for the frosting.
LL

crazy4sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazy4sugar Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 11:23pm
post #18 of 20

Thanks for sharing...Lemon cake is my favorite.

I've been using the 3d study cake from CC, which is wonderful. I use a lemon cake mix and add a box of lemon pudding to the mix...fabulous.

I'd like to try the applesauce to cut down on the fat.

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 11:41pm
post #19 of 20

Smiller94 Sounds yummmy ! pretty cake to !

MessiET Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MessiET Posted 29 Mar 2008 , 12:54pm
post #20 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyonzlake

If it's homemade it does need to be refrigerated. I bring my cakes out a couple hours before serving.

Do you have to refrigerate a cake filled with lemon curd from a jar (not homemade curd)?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%