Did A Demo At High School -- Got A Free Chef's Jacket!

Decorating By indydebi Updated 23 Mar 2008 , 10:51pm by kettlevalleygirl

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 3:02am
post #1 of 20

I try at least once a year to do a cake decorating demo at (my daughter's) school. Today I did a demo for 3 of their (what I used to call) Home Ec classes. The teacher, who makes wedding dresses on the side!, took one of the chef jackets she had in stock, programmed one of her sewing machines and in about 5 minutes, handed me a chef's jacket with my company name embroidered on the front! I was so floored and very appreciative!! (And I look pretty darn cool in it, too! thumbs_up.gif )

I made about 100 cookies to take in for the classes, which of course went over well. The last class, we had extra time and someone asked about "can we take a fork to that cake?" I said sure, so the teacher actually got plates down and we cut it up for them.

Ironically, someone had asked about pricing and when I'm explaining wedding cake servings/pricing and tell them this 8" cake will serve 24, some of them get the shocked look on their face. I said, "I know ... you look at this cake and figure it will serve 8, right?" icon_lol.gif

after she got the cake on plates, I picked one up and showed them "This is a standard wedding cake serving. Does this look like a pretty normal piece of dessert that you'd get at a wedding?" Most agreed. Of course the basketball guys thought it was kinda small! icon_biggrin.gif But I also pointed out that we had gotten 25 pieces of cake out of that 8" cake! More shocked looks on their faces, but shocked in the other direction .... more of a "omg, it really DOES serve 24!"

And the biggest surprise of all to me .... she introduced me to the other 'home ec' teacher .... who turned out to be someone I graduated high school with!! I had no idea she taught at my daughter's school! What a fun reunion!

What a fun day! I LUV doing these demos at high schools!

19 replies
daveilg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daveilg Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 4:24am
post #2 of 20

Congrats! sounds like you had a lot of fun. Wish I could have been there. By the way I'm jealous, I had to make my own chef's jacket and it only has an iron on that I printed myself! icon_lol.gif Old friends show up in the places you least expect icon_biggrin.gif

Dave

grannys3angels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grannys3angels Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 4:42am
post #3 of 20

WOW! Debi, sounds like you and the kids had one heck of a blast. It is a wonderful story and you got a wonderful gift out of it...in more ways then one.

icon_lol.gif , leave it to growing boys to say the slice should be bigger. I think it was vey nice of you to take them cookies, and to share the cake with them. They not only had something great to eat, but also learn something from it to.

Glad to hear you had a wonderful time and ran into an old school mate, and Congrats on your new chef's jacket...I know you will wear it with pride.

God Bless,
Sharon

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 4:59am
post #4 of 20

Congrats on the new chef jacket! party.gif sounds like you had a wonderful day! and yes...that would be such a cool thing to do! I LOVE doing demos! Glad you had fun! Thanks for sharing another wonderful story! thumbs_up.gif

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 5:09am
post #5 of 20

Good for you 'Chef Debi', it is always good to hear something great has happened to a nice person. You deserve it.

mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 11:34am
post #6 of 20

What a great surprise for you about the chef's coat. How wonderful. Sounds like you had a great time. That giving back to your daughters school is a great thing. thumbs_up.gif

I think it is awesome to start educating these younger people about cake serving sizes now. It is good in more than one way. Good job.

Tona Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tona Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 11:48am
post #7 of 20

How nice of you to take the time to do this for the school. I know you had a blast. Every time you wear the chef jacket you will remember that special day at school. This is wonderufl to share your talents with the kids. Great job.

Moniquea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Moniquea Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 12:35pm
post #8 of 20

Pic! pic, I wanna see a pic of you with the coat. Or just the coat icon_biggrin.gif Pretty please thumbs_up.gif

Congrats!

indydebi Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 3:50am
post #9 of 20

Ok... here's a pic my 15 year old budding photographer took this afternoon after we made about 700 cookie dough balls. Gosh, it would have been nice if she had managed to get the company name on the jacket in the pic! Oh well, for a free pic, I can't complain! icon_rolleyes.gif
LL

grannys3angels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grannys3angels Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 4:17am
post #10 of 20

Oh my goodness Debi, you look just like I had picture you, when ever reading your post. The jacket looks great and it looks great on you.

It is a wonderful gift they gave you, and the picture looks GREAT! Hope you & yours have a Happy Easter!

God Bless,
Sharon

iamlis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamlis Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 4:43am
post #11 of 20

GORGEOUS! Is that your swanky new kitchen?? I am so jealous icon_smile.gif In a good way! LOL! The jacket is great...as are the memories attached I am sure!

Moniquea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Moniquea Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 4:39pm
post #12 of 20

Squeal! (with delight) I love it!!! Congrats!

Look at you icon_wink.gif all professional and growed up icon_lol.gif (just joking of course) Stand proud girlfriend, I'm sure you deserve it icon_smile.gif

Congrats again!!! and best wishes

pjmw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pjmw Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 4:58pm
post #13 of 20

Who knows, perhaps you inspired someone to take up decorating? Teachable moments are precious. If nothing else, you have taught them what good cake SHOULD taste like! Happy Easter indydebiicon_smile.gif

Paula

indydebi Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 5:02pm
post #14 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moniquea

Look at you icon_wink.gif all professional and growed up icon_lol.gif

Sometimes that's EXACTLY how I feel! Finally getting my own space is like getting the Lifetime Achievement Award! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

While doing the class, I actually advertised for help in the kitchen. Two came by yesterday to pick up applications ..... I had eyeballed about 4 of them that I really HOPED would come by, and these two were on that list! thumbs_up.gif

Curtsmin24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Curtsmin24 Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 5:14pm
post #15 of 20

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif Yeah debi!!!!!!!!!!!! Work that jacket, honey!!!!!!!!!!! It is well deserved. I am happy for you. Congrats!!

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 8:21pm
post #16 of 20

You look just wonderful in that jacket Debi.

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 8:58pm
post #17 of 20

omg! you look soo lovely in that jacket! And kudos for you for getting those two students who came for an application! thumbs_up.gif I am sure you can pick em'! Congrats on all of your success!

butterflywings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflywings Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 9:38pm
post #18 of 20

see, i already knew you rocked (i've said it before, i KNOW i have) and its really cool to see other appreciate you as much as those of us here in cc world. and you really DO look exactly as i pictured you. yay for the chef's jacket, yay for the potential helpers, yay for helping at your daughter's school, yay for everything...

in fact, you've given me the idea of asking about "home ec" classes at my son's school. its a small christian school and right now they don't offer home ec, but i think that might be b/c its a small school and they just dont' have anyone to teach it. might be a fun opportunity

indydebi Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 10:46pm
post #19 of 20

butterfly, you never know what opportunities await you! When I was giving a big hug to my former classmate, I noticed on her chalkboard that they were talking about weddings in her class! So I quickly volunteered to come in and do a talk on wedding planning for HER class! "Casually mentioned" I have a 127 page powerpoint presentation on "things you never think of and your caterer doesn't want you to know" type of stuff that I'd be more than happy to share.

Give me a stage and a microphone and I'm in Hog Heaven!!! icon_biggrin.gif

kettlevalleygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kettlevalleygirl Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 10:51pm
post #20 of 20

Indydebi- I've said it before and I will say it again, you are amazing, I love to hear your stories, you are such a sweetie!!
I am so glad to see that you are appreciated..
Lorene

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%