Confused About Fillings

Decorating By lisanron Updated 22 Mar 2008 , 3:27pm by lisanron

lisanron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisanron Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 1:46am
post #1 of 8

I am making a stacked cake for the first time, frosted with buttercream and fondant decorations added. I would like to fill it but do all filling except buttercream need to be refridgerated? The filling say refrig until you use but not after. The stacked cakes are a little big for fridge and do the fondant pieces get weird in the fridge too???

I am very grateful for any help!! icon_smile.gif

7 replies
plbennett_8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plbennett_8 Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 2:16am
post #2 of 8

What fillings where you thinking about? I think folks are going to want to know what you are wanting to use...

butterflywings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflywings Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 2:20am
post #3 of 8

exactly... it depends on what you're using... if you want to use a curd, whipped cream, mousse - basically a dairy filling, it will need to be refridgerated. there are some that don't need to be.

izzybee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
izzybee Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 2:30am
post #4 of 8

jams and fruit fillings do not need to be refrigerated.

lisanron Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 4:13am
post #5 of 8

Thanks so much for replying.

I have some Pastry Pride in my freezer, I was thinking of using something like that. I am really up for any ideas, I won't be able to get the cake in my fridge once I put it together. Now this may sound dumb,but when baking these cakes do people mostly make a filling or just use buttercream? The last time I made one I put oreo cookies in the butter cream for a filling.

Thank you again.
Lisa icon_redface.gif

bigmama1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bigmama1961 Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 4:46am
post #6 of 8

you may need to invest in another refrierator and take the shelves out I ise it for those pies and cakes that have to stay chilled, hope it was a little help.

plbennett_8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plbennett_8 Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 6:56am
post #7 of 8

Oreo's in buttercream is good stuff! icon_smile.gif I have used cherry pie filling...just make sure you have a good Stiff dam! If you don't have frig space you can certainly use buttercream. You can also flavor the buttercream with creamers, extracts, and oils like Loreann's... I have known people to use those pudding cups as fillings. Raspberries seem to be really popular... I haven't tried making ganache yet, but I know that folks rave about it...

When you think about it you can have Any flavor of buttercream...lemon, lime, mocha, chocolate, any flavors of creamers... Go with what fits best with your cake if someone doesn't request a certain filling...

Let us know what you decide! icon_biggrin.gif
Pat

lisanron Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 3:27pm
post #8 of 8

Thank you ! For all the great ideas, It sounds like they are endless. Also I do have an extra fridge, just need to take out a shelf and rearrange it. But what about using fondant decorations and then putting it the fridge. Is it the same as putting a fondant covered cake in the fridge?

I think I am going to have to get my creative juices really flowing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%