How Do You Use This...

Decorating By abclark Updated 22 Mar 2008 , 9:32pm by ac2steachk

abclark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abclark Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 12:02am
post #1 of 8

My mom bought me a bunch of cake stuff for my birthday. One thing she bought is a number 3 Flower Nail. It is a half circle on a nail.

I have no idea how it is used. Please anyone that can explain or lead me in the right direction. I couldn't find anything. I am not even sure what it is called.

Thanks,
Andrea

7 replies
msthang1224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msthang1224 Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 1:43pm
post #2 of 8

Hi, i'm definitely no expert on things but, I was just sitting here thinking that maybe that size is used solely for the smaller roses, flowers etc..

gandelmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gandelmom Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 1:55pm
post #3 of 8

1/2 circle flower nail?!?!
I'd like to know, too!

ac2steachk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ac2steachk Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 1:56pm
post #4 of 8

If you do a search for "flower nail #3" the results say for dahlias and other similar flowers

"Curved flower nail for piping dahlias and similar flowers. Rotate the nail between your fingers as you pipe a flower on the head. " --from Golda's Kitchen site.

Here's a good image I found.
http://garden.lovetoknow.com/wiki/Dahlias

ac2steachk Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 2:03pm
post #5 of 8

It's actually a half-sphere, not a half-circle. Looks like a ball cut in half.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 3:13pm
post #6 of 8

What that was used for -- yeons agoicon_smile.gif -- was to make a mum (and a few other flowers I can't remember right now) on w/royal icing. Not much to use it for now that I can think of........oh, dry gp &/or fondant; make lattice ball cages?? icon_smile.gif

abclark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abclark Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 5:09pm
post #7 of 8

I guess I don't understand exactly what to do with it still. Your right it is a half sphere. Maybe I can make some royal icing today and play with it. I have always made mums with the flat nail.

ac2steachk Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 9:32pm
post #8 of 8

I have only used the flat nails, too. I tried to find instructions/directions for any flower using that nail, but Google and Wilton didn't show anything. I'd love to see how people use it. I think I have one in a box somewhere.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%