Buttercreams?????

Decorating By Soniabean Updated 24 Mar 2008 , 2:10pm by Soniabean

Soniabean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Soniabean Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 4:19pm
post #1 of 6

Hi, I am new to cake decorating and I love all the great advice and inspiration on this site! I am quite comfortable baking cakes and using frostings (usually those that come with a specific reicpes and of course good ol' store bought). I have really wanted to branch out and learn how to create flowers, use fondant and all that other fun stuff. I decided to take a wilton course and learn some basics. Obviously they have their own method and recipes but I recently discovered Italian & Swiss buttercreams which I love a lot better than basic or wilton buttercream. I had no idea there were so many different types of frostings/icings & buttercreams! I had a few questions about buttercream. Sorry if this has been posted & discussed already but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Can Italian/Swiss be used to create flowers and other piped designs like shown in a wilton course? Can it be made into stiff/medium/thin consistencies like a shortening one can?

Which buttercreams do you find work better and stay longer?

Do all buttercreams crust?

Any other advice???
I thank you all in advance for your help icon_biggrin.gif
Sonia

5 replies
dezzib27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dezzib27 Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 4:38pm
post #2 of 6

One easy one is no all buttercreams do not crust. I believe that swiss and merengue (sp?) BC's do not crust.

CarriM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarriM Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 4:52pm
post #3 of 6

I'm sorry I can't be of much help, but if you look in the cake decorating forum I think there's a post on top titled 'all you want to know about buttercream' or something similar.. that may be of some help to you.

Also~ I'm not sure if you can change the consistency of the other buttercreams, but if not, you can use them to fill/cover your cakes and use plain ol' buttercream for the flowers/decorations...

barbydoll8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
barbydoll8 Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 5:00pm
post #4 of 6

There is a post out there, I think it's called "everything you wanted to know about butter cream" in the forum.
I think there is one called butter cream tips too.

Sorry, I don't have the link for it. It's like 800 pages long (serously!) but it has just about every answer to every kind of butter cream out there I think. I spent about an hour paging through a quarter of it and learned so much from everyone here. Try doing a search on it in the forum area.

Hope that helps.

Barb

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Soniabean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Soniabean Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 2:10pm
post #6 of 6

Thank you all for your help icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%