Grainy Buttercream

Decorating By Jmtreu98 Updated 9 May 2008 , 2:51am by JanH

eme926 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eme926 Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 9:38pm
post #31 of 38

I have used nothing but my grocery store brand shortening for the past few years. I make a batch in my 20 mixer, just dumping in the ingredients and letting her rip for about 15 minutes. I has ALWAYS come out like thick whipped cream and crusts like a dream. I ordered a case of their shortening last week and when it came in, it had a new label and was completely different in texture when I opened the can. I compared the labels and the fat contents were WAY off.

So, I have been beating my head against a wall all week trying to get a decent frosting made. They are all too wet or greasy or gritting.

So, I went today to the off name store in the not so good part of town and found that they had a weird named shortening which was close in the fats to the old stuff I was using. I have the timer set and the mixer running right now and I'll know in about 12 minutes whether I should just throw in the towel now.

It is MOST DEFINITELY the shortening!

deanwithana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deanwithana Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 9:52pm
post #32 of 38

Last night I called my sister who does cakes as well and asked her about her PS. She said she tried domino once but it turned grainy. Well, I told her that I tried the Baker's preferred and it was grainy. Well I mixed up a batch, it turned grainy again with my baker's preferred. I continued to beat it and the "grain" dissolved. I assume it is the humidity or something. Just keep mixing it and it should solve the problem.

onceuponacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onceuponacake Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 9:59pm
post #33 of 38

when i first did sugarshacks recipe i used dixie crystal and sweetex..came out great...then i used crisco with no trans fat and walmart ps and it was a grainy mess even though i kept mixing it for an extra 10 minutes.

after that i did sweetex with dixie and grainy again.

so now i use dominos with sweetex..ill have to try the extra mixing again with the dixie and sweetex.

homemaluhia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
homemaluhia Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 10:09pm
post #34 of 38

I've read that 6x produces a smoother texture because it isn't milled as fine therefore doesn't need as much cornstarch/additive to keep it from clumping together.

HTH

onceuponacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onceuponacake Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 2:56am
post #35 of 38

what is considered an additive? i dont add cornstarch to my icing.

i was told that 10X is better because its been sifted more to get a smoother icing icon_rolleyes.gif

homemaluhia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
homemaluhia Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 9:12pm
post #36 of 38

Cornstarch is added to keep the finely milled sugar from caking. Here is a link that discussed it. It is very interesting.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-50324-0.html

HTH

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 1:28am
post #37 of 38

I've used the store brand and Domino's and BC still comes out grainy, at least to me. I tried sifting it too (10x). I used the Buttercream Dream recipe and a few others from here and I still get grainy BC. Tried beating for a longer time, tried more liquid, etc. nothing works. I'm used to the canned frosting, so anything other than that is grainy to me.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 9 May 2008 , 2:51am
post #38 of 38

A similar thread that might be of interest:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-586077-.html

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%