Update On Cake Crashed In The Middle Of Party...

Decorating By bdrider Updated 7 Nov 2008 , 11:01pm by funbun

bdrider Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bdrider Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 1:25am
post #1 of 51

I have to say that I'm not entirely upset that all 45+ pages to this thread have been lost.. I know there was FAR too much specific information posted there and I know I should have been much much more careful about deleting out names and places before posting copies of those dreadful emails.

THAT said...
I contacted my lawyer friend on Tuesday to find out what the deal was as its nearing the 30 day mark. Apparently NOTHING has happened since I spoke to him on 2-25 about it which was the day he told her I wanted pictures and she'd have to sign a non-disclosure thingy. He hasn't heard from her and he has done nothing also. ( lovely. I can see that sometimes you get what you pay for. ) He "didnt get to it yet" to send her the paperwork she had to sign or to tell her where to mail the pictures.

Honestly... since she has his number, ( and lord knows, my email address and number) she certainly could have called him to find out where to send the pictures to since she was SO QUICK to contact her lawyer ( yeah.. right.. ) and go to the BBB and threaten to go to the editorials. I'd been just fine with the whole thing if she just went away and I told the lawyer not to knock himself out getting the paperwork to her.. I'd be happy to see if she even ever resurfaces with the pictures.

I have no doubt the cake fell.. and i'm sure there are pictures of it.. It just amazes me that she hasnt produced them and has seemed to dissapear into the woodwork.

( of course.... I'm really superstitious so now that I put this in writing I'm betting she will contact him in the next day or so! )

Just wanted to update you all.. I've gotten a ton of PM's and just havent had the time to reply to everyone yet..

Thank you all for your continuing support with my Cake Saga!!

Brenda

50 replies
CreationsByCaryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CreationsByCaryl Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 1:30am
post #2 of 51

I still think she was button pushing or she'd have everything to YOUR lawyer already. She was waiting for you to blink and you didn't.

smoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smoore Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 1:52am
post #3 of 51

I agree ... I'm sure your lawyer is listed in the phone book or switchboard.com. She thought it'd be easy, and probably thought calling your lawyer would be calling your bluff, but when she got an actual law office with someone who already knew the case, she probaly said forget it ... not worth the "work". Good luck, and I hope you never hear from her again.

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 2:04am
post #4 of 51

I hope that's the end of the wicked witch. I personally don't believe she has any pictures.

Thanks for the update!

4Gifts4Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4Gifts4Lisa Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 2:46am
post #5 of 51

Thanks for the update, Brenda!

I think the fact that she has not done anything in the past month would not work in her favor were it to ever go to court. I think we all *know* the cake crashed, and there most likely *are* pictures, but the pictures would undoubtedly show that the crash was not the fault of a structurally unsound cake, but of another cause. That is my guess, anyway.

Again, thanks for the update, and I am glad you are doing well. I have been thinking of you!

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 3:12am
post #6 of 51

she ain't got no photos! icon_lol.gif

Glad that everything has settled down for you. I hope you are having better luck with cakes! icon_biggrin.gif Thanks for the update!

annacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annacakes Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 11:59pm
post #7 of 51

Dear Brenda,

Sure hope it's all settling down for you. Best of luck from here on in. Would hate to see you stop "caking".

Anna

ssunshine564 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ssunshine564 Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 12:12am
post #8 of 51

Well, I don't think she will last long. I have worked for attorney's for the last 11 years and I don't know of any that would have taked this lawsuit on contingency. I figure she will run out of money to pay her attorney before she ever gets out of the gate. I wouldn't get to upset.

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 12:37am
post #9 of 51

So she hasn't come up with pictures after all?? hmmmm, there's no pictures--she's all bluff and... she couldn't think of a good excuse to ask the 'Hibachi' (I mean Hitachi icon_lol.gif ) executives for pictures of a fallen cake.
Take good care of yourself Brenda and thank you for the update.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 2:19am
post #10 of 51

The weirdness never ceases!! I'm absolutely floored that she hasn't followed up with your atty to get her money she was so hot for. Well I think we are all realizing it wasn't about the money, instead she really just wanted to make YOU "pay," in some way. Just having your atty. agree that you would give her a 50% refund was, perhaps, all she needed to hear. She didn't (necessarily) want the $$, she wanted YOU to OFFER her something, and wanted you to lose something as a result of the incident.

Anyway I am so sorry your atty didn't follow up, just so you could get some darned CLOSURE on the matter; it must be so frustrating to have this left unresolved. I'd guess he probably figured, if she is serious about pursuing this, she will call him...otherwise why should he even waste his time. Maybe the longer she's had to cool off about it, the more she's come to her senses and realized she has NO CASE against you.

Ugh, what a windbag anyway!!

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 2:44am
post #11 of 51

I can't believe that something envolving cake would ever need to be taken to court? Some people are just itching to start drama icon_evil.gif .
I know I would be upset if I was the customer and my cake fell during the party but I would'nt call a lawyer, you call a lawyer when you get a divorce, not when your cake falls over icon_confused.gif !

Sorry you had to go through this, and sorry its not quite over yet icon_sad.gif .

I wonder if she calls a lawyer if her pants split when she bends over icon_lol.gif ?

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 2:46am
post #12 of 51

Sounds like she couldn't put her $$ where here mouth was. Good deal! icon_lol.gif

DebBTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebBTX Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 3:14am
post #13 of 51

Brenda,
Will Tuesday, March 25th, be the 30 day mark for her to respond by?

bdrider Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bdrider Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 4:39am
post #14 of 51

Yup... the 25th day will mark the "30 days to pay" her the $250 that i agreed to as long as I had the pictures.
I would be just FINE with things if my lawyer did absolutely nothing and didnt contact her at all. Its amazing to me how gung-ho she was to bury me with all this and now we havent heard from her in a month. If he contacts her she may very well trot herself to the local photo store and print the pictures and get them off to me(him) when she may have just dropped the whole thing if she hadnt heard from him.

I think I will touch base with my lawyer again tomorrow and tell him to not proceed with anything until he hears from her.

OR... she could also call up SCREAMING tomorrow demanding her money and blame me ( us ) for not telling her where to send the pictures to since it has been 30 days.

Perhaps she got pelted by some well-meaning fellow CCer with $250 worth of pennies and she isn't able to get to a phone.

I still REALLY like that idea!!

butterflywings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflywings Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 3:13pm
post #15 of 51

i got a jar of pennies, just tell me when and where icon_biggrin.gif i'll join the assault

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 11:16pm
post #16 of 51

Hi Brenda, thank you for the update!! Well, I am sure she never had pictures. And, when she tried to find someone to 'recreate' your awesome cake so she can smash it and take a picture she fell flat on her face because it was goint to cost here $500.....ahhhh, the 'agony of defeat' is so painful icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
Brenda, you should now be singing---- party.gif God is watching us...God is watching...God is watching us...from a distance party.gif
Have a great day! thumbs_up.gif

DaisyLisa17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DaisyLisa17 Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 11:44pm
post #17 of 51

Wow!! I cant believe its been a month since I was running home daily to check CC on the fallen cake saga. Its crazy she hasnt responded, but I see that as a good thing. Way to go Brenda!

Thanks for the update!

CakeLadyM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeLadyM Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 11:46pm
post #18 of 51

Maybe she's going to wait until the final hour then march herself into the lawyer's office with the pics. You know--make you sweat it out?
Hmmm...

cdavis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cdavis Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 11:46pm
post #19 of 51

Wow, I'm sorry I didn't see this post from the beginning. Do you have any pictures of the cake after you set it up? This is probably a good reason to have a contract. Once the cake is delivered and set up at the venue, barring some real negligence, I think you're off the hook. Some people will gripe about anything. Hang in there!!! We're behind you.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 12:17am
post #20 of 51

If she had pictures and really wanted to go ahead with all of this...trust me!!! she would have along time ago!!! I say she was just blowing smoke!!!

Sandra80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sandra80 Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 12:50am
post #21 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdrider

Yup... the 25th day will mark the "30 days to pay" her the $250 that i agreed to as long as I had the pictures.
I would be just FINE with things if my lawyer did absolutely nothing and didnt contact her at all. Its amazing to me how gung-ho she was to bury me with all this and now we havent heard from her in a month. If he contacts her she may very well trot herself to the local photo store and print the pictures and get them off to me(him) when she may have just dropped the whole thing if she hadnt heard from him.

I think I will touch base with my lawyer again tomorrow and tell him to not proceed with anything until he hears from her.

OR... she could also call up SCREAMING tomorrow demanding her money and blame me ( us ) for not telling her where to send the pictures to since it has been 30 days.

Perhaps she got pelted by some well-meaning fellow CCer with $250 worth of pennies and she isn't able to get to a phone.

I still REALLY like that idea!!

but i thought you wanted me to hit her with pennies. it was really fun, you should have joined in thumbs_up.gif

funbun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funbun Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 2:15am
post #22 of 51

I've got a jar of pennies just waiting for ya! Just give us the sign icon_biggrin.gif

tcakes65 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcakes65 Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 3:54am
post #23 of 51

I thought of you Saturday evening when I set up a wedding cake at a reception venue. The cake table was in a corner, and sure enough the dj was right there setting up a huge speaker right next to it. icon_eek.gif You could feel the vibrations through the cake stand. All I could think of was your unfortunate experience and had visions of my cake crashing to the ground due to the vibrations. I begged the dj and the manager to move the speaker, but of course they refused and said the cake wouldn't be affected. icon_confused.gif I kept thinking, don't you people know what happened to Brenda!!! Well, let me tell you. icon_lol.gif The entire night I was certain I would get a phone call saying the cake fell. Sharing your story has been a lesson learned for the rest of us. However, some people like dj's and venue managers still haven't learned their lessons or they simply don't care. There was no way they were going to move that speaker for me. The blast of the speakers was way more important than a wedding cake.

It sounds like the lady has figured out her case is a lost cause. Let's hope so anyway. Let us know if she rears her ugly head again!

Emmerdoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Emmerdoo Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 7:22am
post #24 of 51

PENNY PELTING PARTY!!! I am still all in favor of a drive-by caking and a penny pelting party. I say we get pictures of that. In all seriousness...ok, I can't be serious about some crazy woman who in my mind is looking about like Cruella DeVil right now. I am picturing Black and White hair, purple skin (a'la Disney) and a ragged out Royles Royce. Instead of a coat made of animals, it is a coat made from dollar bills...that she got from all her previous cake makers that she has somehow silenced...Hibachi executive beware...you are next! I bet she is going to take them to court because whatever they manufacture is "defective"....Confuscious say: This lady is crazy

Happy Caking,
Em

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 10:40am
post #25 of 51

well I was dreaming of cake balls with 250.00 dollars worth of pennies inside...so she got her "just desserts" so to speak.... icon_lol.gificon_wink.gif

vixterfsu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vixterfsu Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 12:20pm
post #26 of 51

I have no idea what happened, but if she was blowing smoke, you should make her pay your lawyers fees. She waisted your time. I'd be all
over her.

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 12:43pm
post #27 of 51

she didn't have to pay her lawyer as it was an acquaintance who offered to help, and this woman is nutty. It would be best if she just went away, she isn't playing with a full deck. icon_lol.gif

DMCG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DMCG Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 1:06pm
post #28 of 51

Well, it's the 25th! Hopefully she hasn't had a the guts to show up to your lawyer and you can put this whole thing behind you! icon_razz.gif

Good luck
Danielle

Emmerdoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Emmerdoo Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 1:12pm
post #29 of 51

I think this lady needs a name besides Crazy Cake Lady...something that is a little shorter than that...what about CatWeasel?

Happy Caking,

Em

TheButterWench Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheButterWench Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 1:32pm
post #30 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmerdoo

I think this lady needs a name besides Crazy Cake Lady...something that is a little shorter than that...what about CatWeasel?

Happy Caking,

Em

Well since I'm a cat person I'd rather have it changed to CakeWeasel. icon_twisted.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%