I Ran Out Of Oil, What Can I Do?

Decorating By Danishwiz Updated 22 Mar 2008 , 2:08pm by msthang1224

Danishwiz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Danishwiz Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 11:35pm
post #1 of 8

I am in the middle of making cakes (box mixes icon_redface.gif), and I ran out of oil. Can I melt down butter or crisco and use that instead of veg. oil?

Thanks!

7 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 11:46pm
post #2 of 8

Just leave it out! I never add oil to my cakes and they are still nice and moisticon_smile.gif
Another alternative is to replace the amount of oil with applesauce OR purne puree OR most any fruit puree.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 11:55pm
post #3 of 8

Being the only kid in america that grew up poor.... (it'a joke I started a few threads ago since I seem to be the only person who grew up with a mom who used margarine and box mixes! icon_lol.gif ), we never bought oil, only shortening, and when a recipe called for oil, we just melted shortening and used that. Did it for years.....stuff turned out fine.

Danishwiz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Danishwiz Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 11:56pm
post #4 of 8

GREAT! Thank you so much!

Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 12:12am
post #5 of 8

I am always running out of stuff so I melt the Crisco on a slow defrost in microwave, wait till it cools so that when it hits the liquid in the cake mix it doesn't re-solidify, and then I add it. I tried adding too soon and it became solid when it hit the cold water or milk.

reneemiracle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reneemiracle Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 12:14am
post #6 of 8

You can substitute oil with applesauce, same amount. It makes your cakes very moist.

oliveoyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oliveoyle Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 2:33pm
post #7 of 8

I rarly use oil in my box mixes, 9 times out of 10 I use a melted stick of blue bonnet margerine yes the whole stick, I don't really like the texture I get when I use real butter ,but I like the flavor .

just my opinion hope it helps

msthang1224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msthang1224 Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 2:08pm
post #8 of 8

I'm just like Malakin, always running out of stuff at the last minute, lol. It just happened to me not to long ago and I was standing in front of the crieco, had the thought and then said, "Nahhh", lol. But will try next time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%