What Brand Of Hi Ratio Shortening Do You Use?

Decorating By cheftracy Updated 25 Mar 2008 , 3:47am by grannys3angels

cheftracy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheftracy Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 8:47pm
post #1 of 14

I am trying to determine what kind to buy. Have heard such good things about using it that I really want to try it, but there are many brands and prices vary as well. TIA

13 replies
grannys3angels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grannys3angels Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 5:41am
post #2 of 14

I use Alpine hi-ratio (it's the only brand I get here) and I am very happy with it. I do know that a lot of people also use Sweetex, I hope someday I can get to try the Sweetex.

Here is a thread were you can find lots of info on hi-ratio shortening. Info on where to buy, whats kinds of hi-ratio and much more.
http://forum.cakecentral.com/c.....9731-.html

Hope this helps.
God Bless,
Sharon

cheftracy Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 10:13pm
post #3 of 14

Thanks for replying, I was about to give up with asking questions here. For some reason I have a hard time getting responses.

The link didn't work so I'll give search another try.

grannys3angels Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 10:21pm
post #4 of 14

Ooops, I'll try to find the right link and repost it. Oh please don't give up asking questions...sometimes they might get over look, or push back by another post. Always ask questions thats how we learn.

God Bless,
Sharon

EDITED TO SAY: o.k. lets try this link. http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-219731-.html

izzybee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
izzybee Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 10:32pm
post #5 of 14

I use CK products brand.

kris_813 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kris_813 Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 10:33pm
post #6 of 14

Well, I just received some from country kitchen and love it. I once ordered some from S U G A R C R A F T (Alpine) and it was very old. I don't think it really matters what kind you get, just make sure you order it from a good company..

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 10:42pm
post #7 of 14

I use sweetex and LOVE it...I could totally tell a difference in my icings...all of them.
I bought a 50lb box from Cash'n'Carry here in WA state.
I thought it would take me too long to go thru it...but I was wrong....its over half gone now and it hasn't been a year!
icon_wink.gif

misha35 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misha35 Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 10:47pm
post #8 of 14

http://www.thebakerskitchen.net/
has sweetex. you can buy it in 4 pound tubs & they have super fast shipping. first order I received in less than 20 hours after order was placed!!!!!

c420 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
c420 Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 10:47pm
post #9 of 14

I vote for sweetex as well. I have used alpine also. Both seem to be comparable all in all. I 'm sure most are comparable.

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 1:51am
post #10 of 14

I have been using Dawn Foods Hi Ratio for the last several months and am very happy with it. icon_smile.gif

grannys3angels Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 2:02am
post #11 of 14

Oh Lea good to see you dear friend, hope all is going well with your daughter. I am still praying for her.

I have not heard of that brand Lea were do you get it? Do you have to buy it in 50# case? Do you have to order it?

God Bless,
Sharon

cheftracy Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 11:37pm
post #12 of 14

Thanks, I think I will try the 4 lb tub of sweetex just to make sure I like it, (I'm sure I will, but gotta prove it to the hubby sometimesicon_wink.gif )

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 12:20am
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannys3angels

Oh Lea good to see you dear friend, hope all is going well with your daughter. I am still praying for her.

I have not heard of that brand Lea were do you get it? Do you have to buy it in 50# case? Do you have to order it?

God Bless,
Sharon

Hi Sharon! icon_biggrin.gif All is well now.........almost! I have a case of shingles on my backside that is not allowing me to sit much! icon_lol.gificon_cry.gif It seems to be a bit better today so here's hoping by the end of the week it will be over with.

I get my hi ratio from a cake supply place here in Houston. They can get any brand in but had Dawn in stock so I purchased it in a 50lb block. My buttercream is Sugarshacks recipe and I love the Dawn HR in it. It works equally as well as Sweetex or Alpine.

As soon as I can sit here longer than a few minutes I will answer your pm's icon_biggrin.gif Forgive me for not doing so yet. icon_sad.gif

Hugs to you and I am soooooooooo glad you are back on the playground! icon_biggrin.gif

grannys3angels Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 3:47am
post #14 of 14

Ohh Lea sorry to hear your under the weather, hope you are feeling better soon. Don't worry about those PM's, I know you'll get to them when you can....they are why I was getting so worried about you. You get better soon, we miss ya! Hugs back at ya. Thanks, it is nice to be able to play again icon_biggrin.gif.

I also use Sugarshacks recipe, with the Alpine...it's all I can get around here. I am very happy with the Alpine, IMO it is way better for my icing then me using veg. shortening. I had not heard of the kind you use, so I wondering about it.

Cheftracy, I have been using hi-ratio for over a year now, I will never go back to veg. shortenings...but what one person likes another may not. That is a great way to go about it, buy the 4lbs of Sweetex. If you don't like it, you won't be stuck with 50lbs.

God Bless,
Sharon

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%