Michele Fosters Delicious Fondant

Decorating By teecakess Updated 21 Mar 2008 , 3:23am by alanahodgson

teecakess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
teecakess Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 8:35pm
post #1 of 5

i just tried making my first batch today. i ran into a few problems and am hoping for some advice and answers.
i halved the recipe but ended up adding a lot of extra sugar and it's still extremely soft. not sticky, just soft. it almost looks like it melts when i put it on the counter, i fixed it a bit by adding more sugar but i'm afraid it might dry out the fondant. any advice on that would be greatly appreciated.
also, i used a dark corn syrup (got it from bulk barn) and the colour is now a beige. i tried the violet trick, i think it worked a bit but it is still very dark. is there another way i could get it whiter? it's just a small piece that i need, would it help to add some more violet to a smaller piece?
tia!

4 replies
plbennett_8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plbennett_8 Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 8:54pm
post #2 of 5

Well Shucks... Sorry you are having problems....

This recipe does not work well when you cut it in half. Michele will tell you that... It also MUST rest - usually overnight - before being used. That is your "soft" problem. The gelatin has to do its work and bind the fondant... I don't know what to tell you about the dark corn syrup... You can try adding more violet, but I doubt that you will get it white...

Please give this recipe another try following it just like it is other than adding flavoring...it really is a wonderful fondant

Good luck,
Pat

alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 2:45am
post #3 of 5

I've never had problems cutting this recipe in half. You most certainly need to use light corn syrup in future batches to avoid the beige color. I don't know how to tell you to fix that. They sell white icing color, but it takes a lot to make something white that isn't already and then it changes the texture of the fondant if you add too much. Like plbennett_8 said, the resting time will take care of the softness issue. You can always add more sugar in after it rests to stiffen it up, but you can't take it out, so I always err on the side of soft when I'm making it. Its a terrific recipe. Don't give up on it.

plbennett_8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plbennett_8 Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 3:09am
post #4 of 5

Yeah but...Alana... You're awesome...lol icon_lol.gif After reading below, I have been leary of going with a half a recipe... Which I need a half pink, and a half black right now... Do you do anything special other than halve the ingrediants?

Thanks! icon_smile.gif
Pat

Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:35 am

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
lecrn wrote:
I just tried using M. Foster's fondant & it didn't have the desired consistency. It was kinda crumbly. I made half a recipe just to try it out. I followed the recipe exactly except I forgot the salt. I used about 2lbs of powered sugar total, & quit adding it when it was not sticky. I also let it sit overnight before I used it. I added a little gum tex to make some flowers & leaves. I really don't think the batch that I made would roll out to cover a cake.
To those of you that make this type, have you had this experience before? What do you think that I could have done wrong? I really love the taste of this & was hoping to end my search of perfect fondant.
thanks!

Many recipes can be made by 1/2, this one does not work well for that. It can be doubled or even a batch and a half. I don't know why it won't work well when halved, so I just make a full batch and freeze what I don't use.

Michele Foster

Gumpaste flowers DVD! www.lickthespoonproductions.com

alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 3:23am
post #5 of 5

Heh....No, I'm not awesome...but thanks for trying to keep up my cover. I honestly do not do anything different than just cut the ingredients in half. The only time I had trouble with this recipe was when making a full batch and I dumped the packets of gelatin as the recipe says. I'd only made half recipes before and had always measured the gelatin. What I found was that my packets did not contain the amount of gelatin stated in the recipe so my full batch turned out totally weird and I had to throw it out. Now I always measure out my gelatin. Now, I also rarely make a half recipe because I can just save what I don't use, but I just made a half the other day b/c I only had 2 lbs of sugar laying around and it came out just as great as a full batch. Hmmm....maybe I DO have a magic touch.....naw. Maybe just lucky.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%