Cake For 300

Decorating By summerolivia Updated 21 Mar 2008 , 3:07am by willman

summerolivia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summerolivia Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 2:17am
post #1 of 6

I have just been asked to make a high school graduation cake for 300 people! My head is spinning with so many questions. I hope that someone out there can help me!!!
1. They are wanting sheet cakes. What size do I make? How many servings per cake and how many layers?
2. What do you charge for sheet cakes. I have done many tiered cakes, and I charge $1.50 for buttercream and $2.00 for fondant. Do you charge less for sheet cakes than tiered cakes?
Any help will be appreciated, as I need to get some ideas to the lady in the next two days.
THANKS!!!!

5 replies
plbennett_8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plbennett_8 Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 2:38am
post #2 of 6

Wow! icon_biggrin.gif Congrats

Looking at the Wilton 2" Party Cakes that are 2 layers. Depends on how big a pan your oven can take and cook well...lol

12x18x2 X 2 layers = 72 servings
12x22x2 X 2 layers = 98 Servings

I don't know how much you charge... Your prices seem low, but it depends on your area... How much decoration...that's a lot of cake! icon_biggrin.gif

Good luck! icon_smile.gif
Pat

CakesOnly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesOnly Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 2:38am
post #3 of 6

Well according to Wiltons cake prep. chart a 14x22 two in. high sheet cake will serve 98. My sheet cakes are 24x18x2 and they serve 144. I would proably make just two of my sheet cakes. With Wilton chart it will take at least 3sheet cakes. As far as the price, I charge the same for sheet as I do for round. It is what ever you normally would do. Good luck.

plbennett_8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plbennett_8 Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 2:41am
post #4 of 6

[quote="plbennett_8"]Wow! icon_biggrin.gif Congrats

12x22x2 X 2 layers = 98 Servings

Opps...that was supposed to be:

14x22x2 X 2 layers = 98 Servings

stsapph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stsapph Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 2:42am
post #5 of 6

I'm not sure about size etc, but I don't think you should change your price. You are still using the same ingredients and your time and creativity. 1.50 pp is still a great price for a home made, specially designed cake, sheet cake or not. Whether it's a sheet cake or a tiered cake, it still take you time and effort to get the finished product. Don't forget yourself in the pricing. HTH!

willman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
willman Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 3:07am
post #6 of 6

WOW hw big are your slices? I use a 18x26 pan and only get 96 slices out of it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%