Need Advice On Icing For Picky Bride

Decorating By rikley Updated 22 Mar 2008 , 3:03am by cookieman

rikley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rikley Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 7:23pm
post #1 of 8

I have a cake sampling coming up and the bride detests buttercream icing. Im doing one cake with fondant and another with birthday cake icing. Im wondering if anyone can recommend another icing recipe that would be easy to make and stand up well (the wedding is outdoors in september so temps will be warm not hot. icon_smile.gif

7 replies
2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 11:14pm
post #2 of 8
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 12:21am
post #3 of 8

What's the diff between buttercream and "birthday cake icing"? icon_confused.gif

If you have a favorite BC, I'd go ahead and do a sample of it for her. I had a friend/customer who told me she hated (!) BC, and wanted whipped cream icing. I told her I don't do Kroger cakes and if that's what she wanted, Kroger was 2 minutes down the road. (Did I mention I was doing this 3-tiered cake for 75 16-year-olds for FREE?). Uh.... she decided to go with my (FREE!) Buttercream. Everyone at the party loved it .... even the "I hate BC" person.

Maybe she's only been exposed to nasty BC and just needs to be exposed to some good stuff! thumbs_up.gif

cookieman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookieman Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 12:33am
post #4 of 8

I just had a cake made by a very famous bakery here in town (the owner has been on the Food Network's cake challenge: no, NOT the cake diva! although she is from my town too) and I ordered whipped cream icing. It was DELICIOUS! I was going to suggest this to rikley, but after indydebi's comment on it...I guess not! Is there something wrong with whipped cream icing? I really like it.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 12:36am
post #5 of 8

There is a difference between "whipped cream" icings... sometimes its actually whipped cream, other times its Rich's cream (aka bettercreme) which it a lot like cool whip in taste.

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 12:37am
post #6 of 8

I wouldn't cater to a bride that is being too picky...I mean, you can make what you can make! Don't go all out for her if you are not even sure she is going to book for you!

There IS the Rich's Bettercream that you can buy at Sam's Club. Holds up in heat and is a non-dairy frosting. It's kinda hard to smooth fully though...I would think fondant would be the best.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 1:16am
post #7 of 8

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif hahaha! cookieman, no there's nothing wrong with it ... I just personally don't care for it and just choose not to do "kroger cake" icing.

some people don't like crisco-based bc, some don't like fondant, some don't like doing sheet cakes, some don't like doing cupcakes.

I don't like putting whipped cream icing on my cakes ... so I just don't! thumbs_up.gif

cookieman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookieman Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 3:03am
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif hahaha! cookieman, no there's nothing wrong with it ... I just personally don't care for it and just choose not to do "kroger cake" icing.

Gotcha! The whipped cream icing from this bakery was amazing...not at all like a supermarket whipped cream icing. Knowing this bakery, it was the real stuff. I opted for a simple yellow cake (as moist as can be, but still "sturdy") with cannoli filling (again, the REAL stuff) and whipped cream icing. Everyone was in awe of the taste of this cake!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%