Thinking Of Entering At The Midatlantic Cake Show. Who Else?

Decorating By CoutureCakeCreations Updated 26 Aug 2008 , 1:59am by megankennedy

CoutureCakeCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoutureCakeCreations Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 6:06pm
post #1 of 14

Just wondering how many of my CC friends will be entering the MidAtlantic Cake Show. I am sooo afraid to enter. I have only entered a small State Fair contest and I won first place, but I know that the cake show is "Big Time" and I just doubt that I am good enough.

13 replies
CoutureCakeCreations Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 6:12pm
post #2 of 14

bump

CoutureCakeCreations Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 6:13pm
post #3 of 14

bump

AuntAndrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AuntAndrea Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 9:19pm
post #4 of 14

Honey, don't worry, and don't be afraid! Just go ahead and enter your cake!! thumbs_up.gif Don't worry about being "good enough" -- whatever that means these days!! icon_eek.gif We get entries from all sorts of decorators -- from the very beginner all the way to folks who have been decorating for years and years. Everyone is welcome!!

It's going to be a great show, with LOTS of demos and vendors. There's sure to be something for everyone! icon_smile.gif

I hope to see you there -- and don't forget to wear some Mardi Gras beads so we know you're a CC Member!!! icon_wink.gif

...Andrea (aka "Raffle Wench" at the show!!) icon_biggrin.gif

Cakenicing4u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakenicing4u Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 2:56am
post #5 of 14

probably me, I'll have to lose some sleep to make it happen, but we'll be there. The Boston Inn has rooms if you need them!

Sumatra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sumatra Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 10:06pm
post #6 of 14

I'm new to CC and to cake decorating, I'm really just learning basics, but I just have to say GO FOR IT!!! Do your best and I'm sure you'll have a great time.

Sweettooth1120 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweettooth1120 Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 1:56am
post #7 of 14

I am entering and so are my kids. Once I told them about it they were all so excited and want to enter. My daughter has planned this elaborate 2 tiered cake, etc and I had to tell her "honey I am so sorry but I can not be concerned about my cake making the trip let alone 3 other tiered cakes so yours is gonna have to be a bit smaller."

This will be my first real cake competition and I have absolutley no expectation of winning I just want to go and check out all the other cakes and show what little talent I have off.

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 8:24pm
post #8 of 14

I'm entering and am so excited (mostly about the classes!).

I plan to enter in the gingerbread and theme beginner categories.

Does anyone have any tips on what goes on at this. Would love any information as I've never attended a show before (not alot of info on their website).

Hope to see some of you there!

CakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeBaker Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 10:20pm
post #9 of 14

please, try to not be concerned about what everyone else might be entering. I always tried to use cake shows as an opportunity to teach myself a new techinque and push myself to improve. And give youself plenty of time to work on the entry. I always had to do each part of the cake twice -- once to figure out how and again to get it right. Just focus on creating a cake that YOU are really proud of -- one you'll be tickled to add to your portfolio, and everything else will fall into place.

And be sure to read each show's rules carefully and enter honestly in the correct division. The only class I've ever taken was the remedial Wilton 1, but due to me actually selling cakes, I've had to enter in Professional divisions. Then by placing so well in the OSSAS wedding show, suddenly I'm in Masters! Yikes! That freaks me out, but I'm going to get over it and actually enter in that part of the show this year.

amie202 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amie202 Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 10:46pm
post #10 of 14

Snowshoe1 -

You asked what goes on during the show?!

There are two areas of free demonstrations going on all day. As a new person last year I learned soooo much at the demos. They are great! Then there are also hands on classes were are for a fee. But all of the teachers are all top notch! While all of that is going on there will also be about 30 vendors selling all of the coolest new cake toys - (So ladies bring the pin money you will need it! Also bring a small cheat sheet of what you already have - )

And let's not forget the cake room! If you like to look at the pictures on CC you will love the 300 cakes in the cake room! So that is just a little description of what goes on, but it is hard to describe. I met so many nice people and it was great to talk cakes with everyone. Wear your Mardi Gras beads as a CC person and you will meet lots of people and have fun!!! - Amie

snowshoe1 Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 12:31pm
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by amie202

You asked what goes on during the show?!

Thanks, amie! That is some great information! I think I may have signed up for too many classes (never taken a class before so my head will probably be spinning!) and I'll probably miss alot of the demonstrations icon_sad.gif - I'll see you there!

snowshoe1 Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 2:21pm
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeBaker

And be sure to read each show's rules carefully and enter honestly in the correct division. The only class I've ever taken was the remedial Wilton 1, but due to me actually selling cakes, I've had to enter in Professional divisions. Then by placing so well in the OSSAS wedding show, suddenly I'm in Masters! Yikes! That freaks me out, but I'm going to get over it and actually enter in that part of the show this year.

CakeBaker - I looked at your website and you are truely a master! You'll blow them away with whatever you enter. Best wishes.

I'm assuming I should enter in the beginners (?) because the rules say decorating less than 2 years and less than 2 classes. I've never taken a class and made my first cake last year. But after the show I'll have taken alot more than the two classes as I completely booked myself over the two days. thumbs_up.gif

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 1:22am
post #13 of 14

I will be entering a cake. If I get it done in time!!! I have been planning it in my head for months and have been trying to find time to work on it. Everytime I think I'm going to have a free minute something else comes up! Right now it looks like tomorrow is a free day for me and I plan to work on my cake all day. I am definitely using this opportunity to challenge myself. Last year was my first time attending a cake show. I loved the show and learned so much. I entered a cake just for the experience and was surprised to get 2nd place in my division. What a thrill! I have a feeling these next 3 weeks are going to go way too fast!

See you all there!

Jean

megankennedy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
megankennedy Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 1:59am
post #14 of 14

I haven't been able to go for the past two years...and have really wanted to get there! So I'm going to make it a major priority - hopefully I can get to both! I would love to compete in a beginner's competition. Good to see the buzz is already starting!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%