I Need Ideas For Filling For Tiered Cake....help!

Decorating By aprilcake Updated 22 Mar 2008 , 7:06am by akgirl10

aprilcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilcake Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 5:27pm
post #1 of 6

I for the most part have been doing my tiered cakes with my buttercream icing as the filling too. Except for one I did do a raspberry mousse. Anyway...its my final class in wilton courses this monday and we are making the two tiered wedding cake with cascading fondant roses. I am making the White almound sourcream cake which I love and the either chocolate fondant (if I can find or make it) or brown colored fondant and my roses are light and dark pink....i would love to start messing with different flavors and fillings now that I am getting more comfortable with the cake decorating part. I would like to maybe try a raspberry preserve...so question...do I torte the layers and do two of the layers in buttercream and the middle in raspberry or vice versa...and is the raspberry preserves just straight out of the jar or do I need to add something to it? thanks so much for all your help!

April

5 replies
AmieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmieB Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 4:59am
post #2 of 6

Sounds like a great cake!

You can pull the preserves straight from the jar. Shouldn't need to add anything. However, I would put a thin layer of bc on the layers before you put the raspberry filling. This keeps it from bleeding into the cake. I like the ida of the preserve filling instead of the mousse for this cake. It sounds like such a rich mix of flavors and the lightness of the preserves will bring a great freshness to it.

Have a good class.

WendyLaLa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WendyLaLa Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 5:08am
post #3 of 6

When using the preseves from a jar, try to get something seedless. Unless you don't mind the seeds. Knotts Berry Farm has a wonderful Raspberry preserve. I think it would be great if you torted your cakes and did a layer of cream cheese frosting in the midddle and two layers of the raspberry preserves. Yummy

cakesnkids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesnkids Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 5:44am
post #4 of 6

When I torte my cakes, so that I have 4 layers out of two cakes, and use a strong filling like raspberry, I never use it in all of the layers. I would do a white chocolate filling in two of them, like white chocolate ganache, and then the raspberry filling in the middle (what would be between the two cakes). I use polymer all fruit. Remember, if older people or people with diverticulitis are going to be eating it, you don't want to have seeds. I always steer people away from raspberry if they have those issues, b/c I like polymer as my filling, but that's just me.

LeckieAnne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeckieAnne Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 1:00am
post #5 of 6

I mix my buttercream half and half with preserves or jam for filling and everyone loves it.

akgirl10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akgirl10 Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 7:06am
post #6 of 6

I like to use seedless raspberry preserves, and I torte and fill each layer. But I use a very small amount on each layer so it won't slide around.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%