Can You Freeze High Ratio?

Baking By tbittner Updated 22 Mar 2008 , 5:50pm by mkolmar

tbittner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tbittner Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 5:07pm
post #1 of 6

I was fortunate yesterday to get a 50lb. block of Sweetex from GFS for a steal. Apparently someone special ordered it and never picked it up so it was on clearance! I was wondering if I can put it in the portions I usually use for frosting and put it in my deep freezer? With summer coming up my basement is not always as cool as the recommended storage temp. The date on it is from 8-07 and I know it can stay good 2 years without being opened.
Anyone had any success with this?
I have tried searching the forums and have not come up with anything.
Thanks for any ideas!
Tracy

5 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 6:37am
post #2 of 6

Wow, good for you. thumbs_up.gif

I have Sweetex in my freezer right now, next to my frozen butter. icon_smile.gif

The 50# block I got from GFS wasn't sealed in any way to keep it fresh for two years.

The box was sealed, but the hi-ratio inside had simply been poured into a food safe plastic bag (after being placed in the box so that it took on the contours of the box); then the top of the bag had been folded over - but no heat seal or anything.

HTH

tbittner Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 12:59pm
post #3 of 6

Thank you Jan, I appreciate your response. I will start packaging it to freeze! This box was the same, according to the ccompany 2 years was right if kept in the ideal conditions. That's why I was worried with summer coming!
Thanks again!
Tracy

alicegop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alicegop Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 1:22pm
post #4 of 6

When I buy 50 pounds of sweetex I get out my 2/3 cups measuring cups and saran wrap. I place a piece of saran wrap inside the 2/3 cup (line it, and have enough folded over the top) and measure out the sweetex, then I can easily pull out the sweetex (I got this from CC, THANKS!) and I have no mess in the measuring cup. So I repeat this for the entire 50 pounds. It is great since now all my shortening is pre measured and neatly wrapped in plastic icon_smile.gif Then you can put them in a large ziplock or something and throw in the freezer. Then they are all ready to go when you need it. It makes making frosting a dream to have it all pre measured.

tbittner Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 2:58pm
post #5 of 6

Thank you! That was my plan, I appreciate that you have done this before and will go for it.
Tracy

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 5:50pm
post #6 of 6

How long does it stay good for once opened? 50# is a lot for me to go through so I'm ting to decide how much to freeze.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%