Light And Fluffy Buttercream

Decorating By chocolatestone Updated 24 Mar 2008 , 4:18pm by PJ37

chocolatestone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocolatestone Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 8:12am
post #1 of 18

I am looking for recipe ideas for a light and fluffy buttercream that's not too sweet but doesn't have and eggs or fresh cream. It must be able to stand out of the refrigerator for long periods.

17 replies
LaSombra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaSombra Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 8:41am
post #2 of 18

I posted this recipe a while back. I've made it my basic frosting because it's so popular

whipped frosting:
http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake_recipes_rate-3273-5.html

bellatrixothersis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellatrixothersis Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 10:16am
post #3 of 18

Would this icing work for ice cream cone cupcakes?
I need to make some for my daughters class.

pjaycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pjaycakes Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 10:26am
post #4 of 18

I have used that icing and it is very good. Yes, it would be great on cupcakes. Use a piping bag to get a good swirl on top and they'll love em'.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 11:00am
post #5 of 18

it says this buttercream doesn't crust, but does it hold piped decorations well?

pjaycakes Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 11:36am
post #6 of 18

It is a very soft icing, but will hold a border. You can do roses, if you refrigerate the bag for a few minutes, but it won't hold up too well in the heat.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 12:03pm
post #7 of 18

yup. not good for me... it's really hot here and it's summer already. but it sounds really good. icon_smile.gif

LaSombra Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 3:00pm
post #8 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakeshoppe

it says this buttercream doesn't crust, but does it hold piped decorations well?

I use it for everything. It's not as stiff as buttercream but that makes it easier to pipe because it's not as hard to squeeze the bag. If you need it to hold up better, you can always use more shortening and less butter as shortening has a higher melting point and is stiffer than softened butter icon_smile.gif

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 3:06pm
post #9 of 18

if i made swirls or piped designs with it, will it stay that way and not melt? and yes am thinking of using all shortening.

LaSombra Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 3:13pm
post #10 of 18
Quote:

if i made swirls or piped designs with it, will it stay that way and not melt? and yes am thinking of using all shortening.

yes, it should be fine. Like I said, I use this for everything...and especially if you use all shortening, it should hold up well.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 3:28pm
post #11 of 18

yay! thanks icon_smile.gif

lisamatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisamatt Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 11:43am
post #12 of 18

I'm new to all this but what does it mean when it says it doesnt crust? I have a recipe I want to use but it says it crusts, whats the difference? Thanks!!!

pjaycakes Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 12:00pm
post #13 of 18

When it says an icing crusts it means that after the cake is iced if you let it sit for about 15 minutes and when you lightly touch the icing without smearing or smushing it. This allows you to smooth any imperfections without messing up the icing. There are several ways of smoothing crusted buttercream. Here is a link.

http://cakecentral.com/article83-Quick--Easy-Smooth-Icing-Using-a-Roller-Melvira-Method.html

Sugarshack also has a great DVD on smoothing buttercream

www.sugaredproduction.com

HTH

kelly75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelly75 Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 3:11pm
post #14 of 18

Does this recipe need to be refrigerated, because of the milk in it?

I have tried a recipe very similar, though it only used butter (no crisco) and it was lovely and creamy and nowhere near as sweet as regualr buttercream, but I was concerned about using it as my regular buttercream because my cakes need to be able to stay out of the fridge (Health Dept issues).

Kelly

LaSombra Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 3:55pm
post #15 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly75

Does this recipe need to be refrigerated, because of the milk in it?

I have tried a recipe very similar, though it only used butter (no crisco) and it was lovely and creamy and nowhere near as sweet as regualr buttercream, but I was concerned about using it as my regular buttercream because my cakes need to be able to stay out of the fridge (Health Dept issues).

Kelly

I always make mine with water and butter...just don't even use milk and so the refrigeration wouldn't even be an issue. I'm not sure if the milk would be bad or not but just to be safe, I always use the water/butter instead.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 3:23pm
post #16 of 18

okay i tried this and it looks curdled and separated. how can i save it? icon_sad.gif

LaSombra Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 4:06pm
post #17 of 18
Quote:

okay i tried this and it looks curdled and separated. how can i save it? icon_sad.gif

hmmm...I haven't seen that before. was the corn starch part maybe not cooled enough? or maybe it was chunky instead of smooth? When did it start looking curdled?

PJ37 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PJ37 Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 4:18pm
post #18 of 18

Without refrigeration, how long does the cake "hold up?'

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%