Gallery Critique Member?

Decorating By MichelleM77 Updated 19 Mar 2008 , 12:25pm by emf7701

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 1:00am
post #1 of 12

Ugh. I changed my options today to accept comments on my photos and I got bombarded with comments from the gallery supporters. No offense guys, but I need real comments, not ones just because you have to make your daily quota of comments. Anyway, all the posts are gone as far as what the critique subgroup member thingy is all about. Can anyone fill me in? Oh, and don't try and change my mind about the gallery supporter comments. icon_twisted.gif

11 replies
ThatsHowTcakesRolls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThatsHowTcakesRolls Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 1:13am
post #2 of 12

Wow, I'm a Gallery Support member and did try to comment on uncommented photos today. I actually clicked on your Tulip cookies - not because I felt sorry for you but because I thought they were really cute. I tried to leave you a very sincere comment but was having trouble with my browser or else Cake Central was having trouble so the comment was not added.

I'm kind of glad now...no need to be rude or ungrateful about the comments. What might seem like a "daily quota" comment to you might be very genuine from someone else and should be appreciated - it's still time taken to leave you a comment and be encouraging to a fellow cake decorator - no matter how you look at it.

Tammi

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 3:15am
post #3 of 12

So can anyone tell me about the critique subgroup?

I never said anything about you feeling sorry for me, but thanks for making my point. That's why you do it. It all started with people complaining that no one was making comments on their cakes, etc., and then some people thought it would be a good idea because they felt sorry and felt that everyone deserved a comment. I don't agree. Welcome to the U.S.

ThatsHowTcakesRolls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThatsHowTcakesRolls Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 3:41am
post #4 of 12

I think you're the one who missed the point - I wasn't doing it because I felt sorry for you - I was doing it because I liked your cookies!!!! That was the point - you shouldn't assume that comments are being left because they feel sorry for you. Just because they aren't saying what you want to hear or what you might have expected to hear doesn't mean it isn't sincere. That was my point.

servingzero Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
servingzero Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 3:53am
post #5 of 12

I sense bitterness! And coming from someone who doesnt' get many comments, I would take ANY comment for what it's worth. Most people here don't just comment because you haven't had a comment... they genuinely like something, ANYTHING about your hard work, and they want to encourage you to do more. It's a supportive community.. not one that is 'filling a quota'.

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 4:08am
post #6 of 12

I tried to access the uncommented pics earlier today so I could check out what I might not have seen yet and couldn't get in. I didn't realize only GS people could access that group. Is that right? So far I haven't felt obligated to leave a comment for anything. If I do leave one it's sincere. But I don't see anything wrong with the administrators being asked to look at a certain number of pics a day or whatever. Like most people I enjoy getting an e mail letting me know someone left a comment on one of my cakes. It just makes my day! And I'm disappointed when I'd like to leave a comment on a pic and comments haven't been enabled.

But I can get around that by pm'ing my comment to the individual. Ha! It's as much fun giving compliments as receiving them.

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 4:13am
post #7 of 12

Quota? We're supposed to fill a number? There are days I don't do any. Like on those days I'm so busy I can't even look at my computer let alone turn in on or connect to my favorite site.

But by being a GS, it has pushed me to do things and try techniques I had not even considered. I like being on top and knowing what everyone else is doing and trying to do new things.

So if all I can say is WOW! Its genuine, I'm in awe.

C-Lady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
C-Lady Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 12:44pm
post #8 of 12

Gallery Supporters: Believe me, I am sure this is not the general consensus of the majority of CC members. I for one love, and appreciate, reading the comments left concerning my cakes whether good, bad or indifferent. I also appreciate you taking the time over the past few days of trying to comment on the 12 pages of unnoticed cakes; it's NOT something you have to do.

For someone new to cake decorating like me, it is most encouraging to see the comments left under my pictures; they help me to strive for better. Please keep doing what you do; there are many of us who appreciate it. I don't perceive it as being given and handout, more so as being a hand-up.

Delphine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Delphine Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 1:59pm
post #9 of 12

I'm new here, I have read the sticky posts, including the one on comments in the gallerie.
I understand most of the views on the subject and some very good points were made in those threads.

But this post scares the h out of me!

what is the % ???
If I leave 10 nice comments, how many ppl will I insult just because they didn't want a comment from me?
Should I just ignore the comments? icon_confused.gif

Arriva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Arriva Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 2:24pm
post #10 of 12

I love getting comments on my pics. One reason is that I have respect for the hard working cake decorators on this site. I am a beginner and need all the encouragement I can get. Thanks for all of the support -- past, present and future.

nanahaley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanahaley Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 2:28pm
post #11 of 12

Like the original poster, I also would like to know what the "critique subgroup member" is all about. However, unlike the OP, I appreciate all comments on my cakes even if they are charity comments. You can WOW me all day long.

emf7701 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emf7701 Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 12:25pm
post #12 of 12

This "critique subgroup" can be joined by anyone if I'm not mistaken.... go to the General Forum and look at the top sticky.

I for one, don't comment unless a pic jumps out at me.... I only leave comments if I can say something specific about the work done and not just "nice" or "good job".

And really, with the rate of speed that people up load pics, lots of them get past without anyone seeing them!! So IMO, being a gallery support member is great simply because I get to see pics that I would have otherwise missed.

Oh.. and when I leave comments, they are sincere... esp. since I don't have much time to sit in front of the computer... I have a house to take care of, orders to fill and a 5yr old and a 2 yr old to care for... my time is valuable! I'm not going to see how many "nices" I can pull off in 20 minutes and call it a day....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%