My Check Was Stolen!~~Can They Steal Identity Now?

Lounge By SweetArt Updated 21 Mar 2008 , 2:28am by adknight

SweetArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetArt Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 9:03pm
post #1 of 5

I wrote a tithe check to my church and put it in offering yesterday. I got a call this morning saying the church was broken into (not uncommon) but this time they got into the safe and stole all the money and checks from yesterday's service. I called my bank and told them it was stolen and to stop the check. What I'm worried about now, is on that check was our names, address, and account number. What else could they do and what should I do to try to prevent it? Thanks!!!

4 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 9:07pm
post #2 of 5

I went through this two years ago. It was a total nightmare. Fortunately, the last company which my credit card number was being used at contacted me because someone tried to charge a purchase with my cc number and the charge bounced. That was the only way I knew that something was going on. Even my bank did not notice it until I brought it to their attention.

I saw the commercial on TV for LifeLock www.lifelock.com and joined right away. It's only 10 bucks an month per adult, and guaranteed up to a million dollars in identity theft.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 11:22pm
post #3 of 5

I understand that they wash the checks and write whatever amount they want, to get whatever they want. Tell your bank to put a watch on your account because they might also be able to print out more checks using your account number. I would personally close the account and open a new one. Also, without scaring you, I hope you have some type of alarm system in your house, because if they have your address, they might try to get into your house. That would be a desperate act, but it is a possibility.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 12:43am
post #4 of 5

dldbrou, you are so very right. It's not bad enough that someone stole a check which belongs to a church, but when they do that they have that other important information - address, possibly phone. They could also open accounts online or via phone at banks other than yours.

They can also buy things with check-by-phone, and have them delivered to fake addresses, like an empty house they know of.

You should definitely close that account and open a new one.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

adknight Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adknight Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 2:28am
post #5 of 5

As someone who works in a bank and deals with this type of situation regularly, my suggestion would be to open a new account and close the one with the missing check. Unfortunately, so many things can happen along with washing checks. Some examples are counterfeit checks (using your account number but buying checks at an office supply store and printing with their names or other information on them), online purchases, automatic withdrawals, etc. Crooks have no limits anymore! I know how much of a hassle it is to close an account - especially if you have automatic debits or direct deposits of your own - but I really believe that is the absolute best thing to do.

Hope this helps!
~adknight

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%