Scooped Cookies Thread Lost...

Baking By wolfsonmom Updated 11 Mar 2011 , 9:48pm by modthyrth

endymion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
endymion Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 1:31pm
post #31 of 67

Ulja says hers are full of fresh fruit. I'd really like to find a recipe that was made with fresh fruit. Then you could try those exotic flavors like mango! (yum!) I tried several batches of cookies when the old thread was up, but was never really satisfied with the outcome (although I did get some that held their shape).

It might also be fun to figure out a recipe that used melted ice cream so that the cookies both LOOKED and TASTED like scooped ice cream....

wolfsonmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wolfsonmom Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 7:43pm
post #32 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleM77

I made them with NFSC and a disher. No spreading and those puppies are full of butter!

What is a disher? I use a cookie scoop on mine, and they look perfect, till they come out of the oven.

peardream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peardream Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 10:14pm
post #33 of 67

why don't you try to puree some fresh fruit in a food processor and mix it in with whatever recipe you tried before? that might be good.

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 11:32pm
post #34 of 67

A disher is the restaurant word for a cookie scoop, I guess. They come in about 10 or so different sizes and they are my new favorite gadget!

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 2:25pm
post #35 of 67

Someone asked about the second recipe. It is the one I posted up on page 2 of this thread.

So both of the recipes from that thread are now on here, and no longer lost.

missnnaction Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missnnaction Posted 11 May 2008 , 7:36pm
post #36 of 67

MichelleM77, I did as you suggested and just used a sugar cookie/butter cookie recipe and they turned out as you stated they would...
LL

MichelleM77 Posted 11 May 2008 , 10:09pm
post #37 of 67

Cool! I made them totally by accident. Glad it worked out for you! They are beautiful!!

What flavors are they? They do look like scoops of ice cream. Are they baked all the way through?

missnnaction Posted 11 May 2008 , 11:51pm
post #38 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleM77

Cool! I made them totally by accident. Glad it worked out for you! They are beautiful!!

What flavors are they? They do look like scoops of ice cream. Are they baked all the way through?

Thanks icon_biggrin.gif
The first is just the reg. sugar cookie dough. The pink is colored and flavored with strawberry oil (lorann's) and the other is marbled with bown and I used lorann's chocolate hazelnut flavor. For the most part they are baked all the way through.. I noticed that the inside top portion is still slightly soft. Next time, I'll bake them a little longer or either not make them so thick.

rrmom2boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rrmom2boys Posted 17 May 2008 , 10:11pm
post #39 of 67

Those are so cute. Did you chill the dough before scooping or chill them after scooping before baking?

missnnaction Posted 18 May 2008 , 12:14am
post #40 of 67

Thanks. My dough was slightly chilled before I scooped them.

btrsktch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
btrsktch Posted 23 May 2008 , 1:02pm
post #41 of 67

I made some also (darn it, still in my camera!) with shortbread cookies. They were good and flavorful, and held the shape wonderfully, but as the problem with shortbread, pretty dry. I'll definitely try it with the sugar and see if that is better.

I'm relatively certain that the woman on Etsy uses fruit puree's and not whole fruits. I bet she even orders from this company as her selection is very similar to what they offer.
http://www.perfectpuree.com

They are available via Amazon.

7yyrt Posted 23 May 2008 , 1:32pm
post #42 of 67

She states she uses 'fresh fruit purees'. In the large pictures, you can see some seeds and teeny fruit bits.

How seedless are those 'all seeds extracted' purees, anyway? Anyone know? My Squeezo gets out most of them, but some of the smallest strawberry and raspberry seeds make it through.

MichelleM77 Posted 23 May 2008 , 2:50pm
post #43 of 67

I don't know if I mentioned it before, but could you just mix in seedless jams? I know they don't come in as many flavors, but it's an option...and a much cheaper one than those purees!

btrsktch Posted 23 May 2008 , 4:56pm
post #44 of 67

I would think a jam would affect the flavor because it would add so much extra sugar?

MichelleM77 Posted 23 May 2008 , 5:07pm
post #45 of 67

The purees contain sugar as well. I'm not going to do the math, but the puree has got 6 g of sugar per serving which is 28.35 grams, and the raspberry jam I looked at has 12 g of sugar per tablespoon which is 20 grams. Either way, we are talking about cookies here, so they are already made with sugar, just don't eat the whole batch! icon_smile.gif

MichelleM77 Posted 23 May 2008 , 5:09pm
post #46 of 67

.......and I was lookin at the banana puree ingredients. The red raspberry puree has 4 grams per serving. Just if anyone cared. icon_smile.gif

MichelleM77 Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 11:28pm
post #47 of 67

So did anyone ever order from her, Ulljas? If not, well it's too late. She is no longer selling them on Etsy and I guess the glass bead shop she had on Etsy was also closed down. There are some posts about it on an Etsy News site about her bakery in Texas being shut down by the state/county/whoever and her bead shop being closed down by Etsy due to the fact that she was lying about making the beads herself, selling other people's beads as her own, etc. Sheesh. Now we will never know how good they really are/were!

akgirl10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akgirl10 Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 6:35pm
post #48 of 67

It's so sad this thread was lost! I was thining of making some scoop cookies today, I'm going to do cherry chip, dried cherries with chocolate chunks. What I would really like is a recipe that's right in between shortbread and NFSC.

wolfsonmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wolfsonmom Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 2:20pm
post #49 of 67

If she is out of business maybe she would be willing to sell her recipes. I would pay for the real thing.

MichelleM77 Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 2:26pm
post #50 of 67

I believe she moved to Italy. You can find her information on her jewelry website. http://www.ullja-s.com/

I love making them with the sugar cookie recipe. I took them to a boy scout dinner and they were a hit. I can't wait to try more flavors!

btrsktch Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 2:39pm
post #51 of 67

Why pay for something that a little legwork can lead you to?

If I had an original idea and it would be difficult to reproduce, then why not patent it? I assume the reason she never did it because its really easy to figure out (and it is!)

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 2:51pm
post #52 of 67

That was a quick move! I wonder if she *really* moved, or her website just says she did since she was shut down?

MichelleM77 Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 2:52pm
post #53 of 67

I agree. I made them purely by accident! I love happy accidents. icon_smile.gif

MichelleM77 Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 3:05pm
post #54 of 67

There was some talk on this other website about her misleading people as to where she really was, was it a mother/daughter business and one was in Italy and one was in Texas, etc. Very confusing. From what I could tell, she was selling those cookies like hotcakes on Etsy!

akgirl10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akgirl10 Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 6:25pm
post #55 of 67

Well my shortbread recipe didn't work, the spread out a bit. But you had luck with a sugar cookie recipe? Maybe I'll try that tonight.

MichelleM77 Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 6:53pm
post #56 of 67

I really don't think it's the recipe. I don't know what a shortbread recipe is though. The NFSC doesn't spread, but I always bake the scoops frozen anyway.

7yyrt Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 6:57pm
post #57 of 67

I have some of her cookie scoop pictures.
As the website is gone, if anyone wants me to I could post them here.

Alliekat66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alliekat66 Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 7:41pm
post #58 of 67

I would love for you to! I'm new and I'm very interested! These sound really fun! So am I correct in understanding we don't have a certain recipe? And how do we get all the flavorings that look and taste as a flavored scoop would taste??
Thanks in advance!!

MichelleM77 Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 8:16pm
post #59 of 67

I've been making them with NFSC and a disher (scoop). I was thinking of adding a drop of flavoring (mint, cocoa powder, raspberry jam, etc.) and a coordinating drop of food coloring if needed.

Alliekat66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alliekat66 Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 8:25pm
post #60 of 67

Great! Thanks MichelleM77, I think I will start simple, but I know I will end up doing tons of experimenting!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%