Holy Bitter Ganache Batman! What To Do!

Decorating By acookieobsession Updated 18 Mar 2008 , 11:28am by acookieobsession

acookieobsession Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acookieobsession Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 12:10pm
post #1 of 11

i have been trying recipes from "Vegan cupcakes take over the world" Highly reccomend by the way! And I tried the chcoclate ganache. I used, dairy free, soy free, vegan choc chips (semi sweet). And the recipe is 1 to 1 choc and soy milk, plus some molasses.

It was so terribly bitter I had to throw them all away. Of course I dipped them all before i tasted it, DUH!

So, is it the chips? Anyone use those kind before? Can you add sugar to ganache? It was so bitter my DH spit it out!

Anyway the cupcakes and other icings were yummy.

Thansk for the help.

Julia

10 replies
Kahuna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kahuna Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 12:14pm
post #2 of 11

I have no idea, but thanks for making me laugh!!

ziggytarheel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ziggytarheel Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 12:27pm
post #3 of 11

I have not used those chips, but my guess would be there are just not sweet enough for your (or my!) taste.

Even the dark chocolate ganache I make is really a little too bitter for my taste. But, on cake I use a deliciously sweet chocolate buttercream first. The combination of the two seems perfect to me.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 12:29pm
post #4 of 11

Goodness.. I don't think you could make something that was so free of all of what makes cupcakes good taste SUPER yummy.. but that's just me.

Maybe try it with vanilla soymilk though?? Since plain soy milk is such an odd taste and the vanilla is a bit sweeter. Do they sell "milk" chocolate vegan chips? Maybe that would be a better option? Cut out some of the soy milk and use a sweeter chocolate? You can add corn syrup to ganache.. it makes it stay shiny, but if you are catering to vegan customers they might not like the idea of adding high fructose corn syrup to their food. It's one of those things that you are going to have to experiment with. Too bad the vegan ingredients are so flipping expensive huh? Good luck figuring it out and if I come across anything I'll post it.

acookieobsession Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 12:42pm
post #5 of 11

Thanks guys!

I am normally ok with the regular dark chocolate. But these semi sweet were SO bitter.

I was surprised too that these vegan cupcakes were so yummy. I made the vanilla with agave sugar and they were awesome! The chai tea were also awesome.

We don't normally eat vegan, but I would say these are really good. Although SUPER expensive in my opinion.

I am sure the corn syrup is a no-no! I even bought vegan shortening...

Thanks

Julia

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 12:51pm
post #6 of 11

Oh, darn..... I just saw a recipe for ganache that added sugar to it....... I don't remember where, I no doubt Googled it..... but it DID call for sugar...

FromScratch Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 12:53pm
post #7 of 11

They do have natural sugar syrups in the natural food asile at my grocery store.. not sure if they would act the same, but if you do add anything I would reduce the "milk" as it will make it looser if you don't. You can make a corn syrup-like sunbstance by heating sugar and water to near the soft ball stage and that works much like corn syrup, though it might seize up the chocolate.

Honeydukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honeydukes Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 8:43pm
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by acookieobsession

... I am normally ok with the regular dark chocolate. But these semi sweet were SO bitter.

I was surprised too that these vegan cupcakes were so yummy. I made the vanilla with agave sugar and they were awesome! The chai tea were also awesome.

We don't normally eat vegan, but I would say these are really good. Although SUPER expensive in my opinion.

I am sure the corn syrup is a no-no! I even bought vegan shortening...
Julia

I LOVE that cookbook! I have friends who are vegan and I hate to take stuff to an event that not everyone can eat. I haven't made everything, yet. I've never had chai tea so was wondering about those. Next on my list are the margarita cupcakes.

Thanks for the heads-up on the ganache. What brand of chips did you use? Curious. Why would the corn syrup be a no-no?

FromScratch Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 8:55pm
post #9 of 11

A lot of vegans aren't into the heavily processed thing, and corn syrup is one of those additives that a lot of health conscious people try to avoid. There are reports out that say it is contributing to the rise of diabetes and stuff like as well.

Honeydukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honeydukes Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 8:20am
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkalman

A lot of vegans aren't into the heavily processed thing, and corn syrup is one of those additives that a lot of health conscious people try to avoid. There are reports out that say it is contributing to the rise of diabetes and stuff like as well.

Okay, thanks. I was worried about the way it was processed or something like that making it un-vegan (if that's a word.) I use it sparingly, but good to know.

acookieobsession Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 11:28am
post #11 of 11

The brand of chipc are Enjoy life and they are
allergen free, dairy free, soy free, and gluten free. They are supposed to be semi-sweet, but i beg to differ.

I think I am going to go on their website and see if i can figure it out, perhaps they have tips. Especially at almost $4 a bag, I want to be able to use them.

thanks

julia

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%