Regaining A Lost Contract.

Decorating By cakemommy Updated 18 Mar 2008 , 4:45pm by cakemommy

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 3:52pm
post #1 of 11

Okay, so I haven't made cakes for the hospital in a year now. I was there for an appt. the other day and decided to check out "the wall". This wall has pictures of happenings at the hospital including the cakes for the events. I saw the pics of the last two recent events, events that I made cakes for last year and RETCH!!! Hello, why was I let go??? The only reason I can think of is that I was too expensive. When I was "dismissed" last year, the reason I got was "the committee decided to go a different route"!!! icon_confused.gif I took a look at my cakes that I did the previous two years and mine were by far more professional looking. The ones that were done this year, didn't see last years cakes, were so plain! The price of the cakes is the only thing I can think of for the reason I was dumped. Never mind the secretary is NOT very well liked so I bet no one was willing to differ with her. What she says goes!!!

How should I try and regain the contract? Am I crazy for wanting to regain a contract with a difficult woman?

Any advice for or against trying to regain the contract is very welcomed!!!

Amy icon_biggrin.gif

10 replies
tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 4:18pm
post #2 of 11

Maybe she is the one doing the cakes!...icon_lol.gif

I think if you want the job again you can talk to them and maybe bring your portfolio and find out the reason why they stop using you.. If it was a money issue then you have to decide if the amount of people that saw your work and could become your new customer is worth for you to lower the price..
I am difficult in lowering my prices but I guess if there are enough people seeing my work that could become my customers I mght do it..just a little. icon_lol.gif
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 4:26pm
post #3 of 11

Shoot, it's worth a conversation if you want that business back! You're going to have to figure out in advance if you're willing to reduce your prices to get it back, if that is indeed why they went the other route. In any case, at least it would satisfy your curiosity to know why they switched providers.

Maybe you could bring Ms. Difficult a nice slice of chocolate cake. The endorphins from the chocolate ought to ease her disposition. LOL

TheButterWench Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheButterWench Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 4:53pm
post #4 of 11

there could be many reasons why someone pulls back on a contract.

Maybe you didn't offer Missy Grouchy a kickback, lol.

um, maybe you can offer a basic cake similar with what they have been ordering, but much better looking? more professional?

Work up some sort of package for them?

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 4:59pm
post #5 of 11

yeah, okay...if you are REALLY curious as to why they let you go...you can go talk to them!
BUT you have to be prepared to deal with that woman AND possibly lower your prices!
You have to do what your heart is saying though!

JulieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieB Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 8:51am
post #6 of 11

Man, from where I stand, going back and asking for a job you lost, (were let go from) is never a good idea. They let you go for a reason, and lowering your price, that can't be a good thing. It tells them you now realize that you were not as good as your previous price.

I know, it's just me, but I'd leave it. There's no winning this one.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 9:16am
post #7 of 11

I say from one loss another better thing will come along the way...Things happen for a reason..
Edna icon_smile.gif

ThatsHowTcakesRolls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThatsHowTcakesRolls Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 1:06am
post #8 of 11

I agree with JulieB! And why put yourself and your client in such an awkward position - it's business and sometimes it's hard not take it personally but you really shouldn't. Just my opinion of course though!

Tammi

cakemommy Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 3:21pm
post #9 of 11

I appreciate all the input everyone! It took me a long time to get over it and just only recently picked up on it again. This is the start of the busy season for the hospital as far as transfers and retirements.

It just hurts my feelings to be given such a flimsy answer. The person is the one who ordered the cakes, SHE picked marble cake with milk chocolate ganache filling ALL THE TIME!!!!!!!! I always got rave reviews but I can't help but think that people got bored with the flavor. Not my fault!

You're right, I really don't want to have to deal with THAT WOMAN again. My DH is quite possibly going to be going back to work at the hospital and my DH can get orders for me as he knows all the women in the department he used to work. They miss him and my cakes they tell us when we visit from time to time.

I decided I will leave it alone. It still bothers me a bit because I see myself as a perfectionist (far from it really ) icon_confused.gif and when I am given a flimsy reason for dismissal it 's bothersome. If she wants to settle for subpar cakes then so be it.

Thank you for the enlightenment everyone!

Amy

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 4:09pm
post #10 of 11

I wouldn't discuss the matter with anyone there. BUT...
I don't see why you couldn't slip in a delicious cake when you go for an appt. Different flavors...small enough for them to share just a bit. Enough buzz and they just might contact you and you won't have to consider dickering with your price. If they do contact you with a proposition, maybe you could consider a contract price reduction....agree to a certain minimum number of cakes in return give them a 5%(or whatever) overall discount.

For each one I give away, I consider it advertisement. Put a label on the bottom of the cake board or on top of the box with your business name and number along with the type or name of the cake.

cakemommy Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 4:45pm
post #11 of 11

My sister has been telling me to do the same thing. That is a great idea. I might just do that up in Peds and in Ambulatory Care. The CDR there is my one last remaining faithful client, if you will.

Thank you for the encouragement everyone!

Amy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%