Indydebi's Icing Recipe - Reposted

Decorating By indydebi Updated 20 Feb 2023 , 11:23pm by -K8memphis

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 3:15pm
post #1 of 29

I had saved this thread in my file, and when I cut-n-paste the thread address, it comes up. But I got an email re: a response on this thread and it came up "post does not exist". If I click on this thread, I can see all posts thru page 7, but nothing after page 8.

So I'm reposting the thread and the recipe for those who may be interested....

http://forum.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=491583&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

--------------------------------------------------------------
Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:28 pm

Really? that's the reason? Huh! Learn something new everyday!

Seriously, I had no idea. It's the only recipe I've used for 20+ years.

Here's the recipe if anyone is interested. Remember, measurements are approximate because I'm a "until it looks right" cook.

2 lb p.sugar
1/3 to 1/2 cup milk, for consistency
2 or 3 Tbsp clear vanilla
1-1/3 cup crisco
3 tbsp powdered dream whip

28 replies
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 3:24pm
post #2 of 29

thanks indydebi!

I had started a thread (story I didn't see this one) and wanted to know how many cups does one batch of your BC recipe make?

Thanks!

indydebi Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 3:36pm
post #3 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakeshoppe

thanks indydebi!

I had started a thread (story I didn't see this one) and wanted to know how many cups does one batch of your BC recipe make?

Thanks!

no idea. I never measure batter or icing. I just know how much I need. If i need more, I make more. If I make too much, I store it.

I can ice an 8" cake with borders and decoration with one batch. Usually with icing left over.

Finesse457 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Finesse457 Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 3:43pm
post #4 of 29

Thanks for posting this recipe again. When I was grocery shopping yesterday I bought some Dream whip with this recipe in mind. I came home to search for the old post and through the recipe section with no luck. You must have know someone out there was looking for it.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 3:47pm
post #5 of 29

Ok now I have to be on both threads...icon_lol.gif just in case you know...good tips are always good t hear!
icon_lol.gif
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 4:58pm
post #6 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I had saved this thread in my file, and when I cut-n-paste the thread address, it comes up. But I got an email re: a response on this thread and it came up "post does not exist". If I click on this thread, I can see all posts thru page 7, but nothing after page 8.

The reason you can see some of the pages that were created after Oct '07 is because they are residing on your computer's hard drive, and your computer is pulling them up from there, NOT from the CC servers.

So, if there is any information you are able to access in any of the threads that no longer exist on these servers but still exist on your hard drive, you better copy/paste/save them, because once you clean out your temp IE (or whatever browser) folders, or once your browser refreshes that page (tries to access the newest data from the CC servers), that info is going to be gone forever.

Sherri

indydebi Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 9:11pm
post #7 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakepro

Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

The reason you can see some of the pages that were created after Oct '07 is because they are residing on your computer's hard drive, and your computer is pulling them up from there, NOT from the CC servers.

oh man THAT really s*cks!

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 8:09am
post #8 of 29

indydebi, do you put this in the fridge? it was too wet for me but maybe it's because it's just so hot right now. But i'll put it in the fridge and use it again. it tastes really good! thanks!

indydebi Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 11:39am
post #9 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakeshoppe

indydebi, do you put this in the fridge? it was too wet for me but maybe it's because it's just so hot right now. But i'll put it in the fridge and use it again. it tastes really good! thanks!

No I dont' refrigerate. Sounds like it was too thin and you need to add a bit more sugar?

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 12:00pm
post #10 of 29

well i frosted some cupcakes with it, stuck them in the fridge for an hour and they came out and it looks good. crusted and really really good icon_smile.gif

if i added more sugar it will be way too sweet for the diabetics in this house icon_biggrin.gif

indydebi Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 12:56pm
post #11 of 29

it's made of sugar. icon_confused.gif
adding more sugar doesn't make it more sweet. it makes it thicker.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 2:50am
post #12 of 29

LOL... i love that smilie. i made that exact same face when they said it was too sweet. was like, it's ICING!!!! know what? i'll just add more sugar and they can eat it if they want to or not. icon_biggrin.gif

akslice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akslice Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 6:03pm
post #13 of 29

What is powdered dream whip and where can you find it?

indydebi Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 6:50pm
post #14 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by akslice

What is powdered dream whip and where can you find it?

Walmart ... Aisle 8 ... next to the Jello ... above the marshmellows.

It's a blue and red box. Made by Kraft. It's powdered whipped cream. If you use it as whipped cream, you add milk to it, beat it for a while and you get whipped cream. for my icing, you use it in it's powder form.

akslice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akslice Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 2:47pm
post #15 of 29

Thanks for sharing!! Can't wait to try it!

butterflywings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflywings Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 3:05pm
post #16 of 29

debi, debi, debi!!! OMG, ok... so last night, I made a double batch of your BC for the 2 dozen cupcakes i was making. i was a little worried at first for 2 reasons.... 1) i'm an idiot who tried to mix the 2 batches up all at once in one bowl (my KA is not THAT big) but after scrounging up my hand held and the largest bowl I own, it was all good 2) it seemed a little wet.. not overly so, but i wasn't sure it was going to crust up well. anyway, i frosted & piped these suckers and they looks really cute. went to bed, got up this morning and they are PERECTLY crusted and look so darn adorable. of course, i had to eat one (for quality control purposes, of course) and OH MY GOD!! your BC is absolutely amazing! the "softness" last night, actually made it really easy to decorate with and this morning, it's crusted perfectly and the taste OH DEAR LORD the taste! YUM! This is now my favorite BC recipe.

anyway, here are the little cuties for those interested:
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1201082

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 11:41pm
post #17 of 29

Cute cupcakes Butterfly!

Thanks for the recipe Deb, I am going to try it the next time I have a cake order, which I think will be mid-April. One question though, I saw that you said its crusting bc. Now I usually use fondant, I dont usually do just buttercream, BUT if I were to make a buttercream cake, to make it totally smooth, do you use the Viva method? Or just smooth with your spat until your arms fall off?

indydebi Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 11:49pm
post #18 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayde

Cute cupcakes Butterfly!

Thanks for the recipe Deb, I am going to try it the next time I have a cake order, which I think will be mid-April. One question though, I saw that you said its crusting bc. Now I usually use fondant, I dont usually do just buttercream, BUT if I were to make a buttercream cake, to make it totally smooth, do you use the Viva method? Or just smooth with your spat until your arms fall off?

I've never done the Viva method. I was always a hot-knife person until I discovered Melvira and now that is THE only method in my booK! thumbs_up.gif

andpotts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andpotts Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 11:51pm
post #19 of 29

to make this a chocolate buttercream without ruining it icon_smile.gif Should I just add cocoa powder?

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 11:53pm
post #20 of 29

I also use this recipe. I have subbed in flavoured coffee creamer for the milk, from time to time. I was wondering, Debi, if you have ever made it with butter instead of shortening, or even half butter/half shortening?

indydebi Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 12:05am
post #21 of 29

I've never used butter. I used to tell people (in my pre-CC days, before I knew better) that "There is no butter in buttercream" because I honestly thought this was the ONLY "wedding cake icing" recipe in the whole world! (the friend who gave me the recipe said "This is wedding cake icing". icon_confused.gif )

andpotts, I've made choc before by adding Hershey Chocolate Syrup. Since I was adding a liquid, this made it thinner, so I compensated by adding the (dry) cocoa powder.

Don't ask me how much I used .. remember, I'm a "until it looks right" cook, so I just start pouring it in "until it looks right"! icon_redface.gif

butterflywings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflywings Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 3:11pm
post #22 of 29

tracey, when i made the cupcakes, i made it strictly to indydebi's recipe. but i just made a batch a little while ago that was 1/2 butter, 1/2 shortening and it still works beautifully and tastes great.

jayde, thanks for the compliment... they are pretty cute... but seeing the kids faces when they saw them... that made it alllll good!

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 4:01pm
post #23 of 29

Thanks to you both for your reply. I may try the half butter/half shortening recipe too (my in-laws have asked for it).

tmelrose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmelrose Posted 6 Feb 2023 , 7:28pm
post #24 of 29

If my memory serves me correctly are you supposed to whip the crisco for a certain amount of time or speed before adding the ingredients?  The instructions doesn't say but seems like I saw that somewhere years ago.  Also is this for the 0 trans fat Crisco?  Also Debi do you use this convert this recipe to chocolate or do you use the Hershey's Perfectly Chocolate icing for your cakes?  Looking to make rosettes but hoping it'll keep their shape.  Thanks in advance.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 8 Feb 2023 , 5:43pm
post #25 of 29

indy has not appeared on here in some time ~

if your icing is loose add cornstarch -- if too stiff add a dab of water

tmelrose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmelrose Posted 8 Feb 2023 , 10:56pm
post #26 of 29

Thank you K8memphis.  Hopefully she's okay.  Maybe this website is just slowly withering away.  I can't even upload photos anymore :(

-K8memphis Posted 9 Feb 2023 , 4:59pm
post #27 of 29

you’re very welcome —

last I heard she was fine, this some years ago — she got out of caking and went into teaching? went into something else— 

and yes cake central is not all we wish it was but it’s still rolling along — 

best to you!

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 18 Feb 2023 , 7:42pm
post #28 of 29

Sometimes it's months before I remember to log on and check in. It's like a library of wonderful knowledge.  Only I don't need it much now. 

No snow here in Florida K8memphis, but the hard freezes the last 2 years sure damaged my Hibiscus. You don't have to shovel rain!

Quote by @-K8memphis on 9 Feb 2023 , 11:59am

and yes cake central is not all we wish it was but it’s still rolling along — 

-K8memphis Posted 20 Feb 2023 , 11:23pm
post #29 of 29

Quote by @MBalaska on 2 days ago

You don't have to shovel rain!

bwooowahahahahahaha!!! good one, mb!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%