Spring Cleaning!!!ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Decorating By Curtsmin24 Updated 17 Mar 2008 , 3:30pm by Curtsmin24

Curtsmin24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Curtsmin24 Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 10:04am
post #1 of 14

Is it me or does everyone else hate doing this too??????? I moved into a large and nice 2bed 2bath aptmt in tampa florida in Jan. and I have soooo been procrastinating the whole organizing thing. I told hubby since it's getting warm out we might as well do some spring cleaning.(my excuse to motivate us to get sh** done icon_twisted.gif ) I started in one room and I still have to do the other one and the living room and reorganize the kitchen and dining room. icon_sad.gif UUggghhhhhhh and the closets both are walk-in. I am so hurting right now and I have energy so I am trying to tell myself it can get done today. icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif It's 5am and I haven't gotten any sleep cuz i'm not tired. I have a lot of laundry to do and I know I have to clean because I got a lot coming up and I know I won't want to do it later. I start school on the 31st.Hubby is going on vacation on may 26-30th and i'm going to visit my brother on june 15th until the 13th of july and hubby has a couple of friends visiting from baltimore in august. It's a lot. Not to mention two cakes I have coming up around the 28th. I need to invest in a maid LOL icon_biggrin.gif Help!!!!!!!!! I need some encouragement!!!Please, I honestly don't have anyone else to turn to.

13 replies
bellatrixothersis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellatrixothersis Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 10:34am
post #2 of 14

Break it down into pieces. What has to get done first? When I think of all that has to get done I freeze and don't know where to start. Yesterday I looked around - grabbed my handbag and just left for the day. A list helps me. Hang in there- it will get done. Don't forget to breathe!

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 10:57am
post #3 of 14

I so know how you feel. I just went through all 4 of our clothes closets and bagged up 6 bags of clothes that nobody has wore for a year to take to the Goodwill. I gave away old pots and pans and tupperware that I don't use anymore... WOW I found a lot more room for more toys icon_wink.gif LOL . I have cleaned the bathrooms out of their old towells and such... I have done the curtains (I HATE to do curtains).... after Easter we are painting our whole inside of our house ...and I really can't wait!!!

I to can't sleep so I do a lot at night....when the kids are sleeping....or while they are at school.

Ughhh I love spring but hate the chores!!!

Christi icon_biggrin.gif

amoos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amoos Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 11:04am
post #4 of 14

You'll get through it all.....trust me I would know. My life is a non-stop rollercoaster. I just got back from a vacation in Paris, which when you take a 5 month old and your husband, is no vacation. We started packing up our house the night we got back.....3rd move in 4 years. We have an Easter party today, finish packing and get the key for the new house Monday, move in on Tuesday, huge test for work on Wednesday, driving to Germany on Thursday for a doctor's appointment on Friday and finally preparing for Easter on Saturday and HAVING Easter on Sunday.

So, don't worry I'm right there with you.....and that's just next week. I'll think about April when it gets here, haha.

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 11:29am
post #5 of 14

Sounds like a job for the FLY LADY!! This is a great site for just what you're dealing with. Fly Lady teaches you to break it down into manageable bites--and to have fun while you're doing it!

http://www.flylady.com/

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 12:41pm
post #6 of 14

We have a 4-bedroom house and I turned one room into a storage room. Bought those big shelving units made of heavy duty plastic that are normally found in a garage and everything! Lots of rubbermaid tubs (clear ones, so I can see what's inside). Christmas on one shelf, my son's stuff on another (while he was in the marines), crafts on another. What a great concept.

Then ..... I would hand stuff to my kids and tell them "throw this in in the storage room." Ok, I know they're kids, but did they have to stand in the doorway and literally THROW the item into the storage room? Good thing the door was open because I can't get it closed now! There's not even a path thru this room! And why am I finding bath towels in there? Are they that bad of shot that they missed the hamper that's in a whole 'nuther room????

Road to hell .... good intentions .... you know how it goes! icon_rolleyes.gif

minorfan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minorfan Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 12:57pm
post #7 of 14

Hi Curtsmin24!
I am in St Pete across the bay from you! Spring is not till Thursday. Give up and go outside!
I understand the stress of feeling over whelmed by all the Stuff! I just did my daughters wedding over at Temple Terrace Country Club. Made all the cakes (15 total) all the decorations and all the favors, even the photography. My house has been in total chaos for 2 months, now trying to put it all back in place and get rid of the extra "just in case we need it" items.

Pick one thing to do a day. Clean one closet, one area a day and then think about what would help keep it more organized.

I just threw out ALL my unmatched storage containers and pyrex and corming wear that I had collected over 30 years and went and bought matching pyrex with lids that all stack great and ended up with a ton of space. Working my way around the house this way but doing it slow.

Being in florida there is always something better to do than be inside or clean. Always someone coming to visit. When in doubt throw it all in containers and put it in storage or the garage. If you dont use it for a year. Throw it out!

Starkie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Starkie Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 1:25pm
post #8 of 14

Indydebi, I have a room like that!!!! One corner ir almost entirely stacked up with cake stuff, which I keep telling myself I am going to straighten out one day. (Especially when I find myself buying duplicate items to replace ones I can't find...)

Just wanted to share a little corner of my "craft room"!

<Starkie>
LL

Curtsmin24 Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 2:47pm
post #9 of 14

OMG Starkie that is exactly what my spare room looks like icon_redface.gif Lol!!!! I don't feel so bad now.
Indydebi yup the extra room we use for storage and we both got out of the Marine Corps last year so we have a lot of stuff. The room was just like you described it "There's not even a path thru this room!" I got both of the closets done and one and a half of the rooms done. I saw like 5 spiders and I had to walk outta there. The last one was huge!!!!!! EEEWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!Coinsidentially, I was spraying Bug Stop!!!! As you can tell I hate spiders!! I can't even scream, I just walk away reaally fast! I woke up hubby and told him it was his turn icon_twisted.gif mean huh? He looked at the rooms and just said" Man you are determined to get things done" Now my living room looks like a tornado hit the sucker. I hate to say it but the Marine corps left its mark!! When it's time to clean, it's time to clean. Thanks so much for the support ladies!!!!
BTW I really do want to buy storage bins and stuff like that but because the rent out here is so high it seems immpossible. Hubby and I can't get a job and we have been trying to since September!!!I'm glad i'm getting disability because we would be in such a bad situation right now. I don't know anybody out here so I can't even make that many cakes. I've made some for my nephews daycare and school but haven't recieved any calls so I asked my sis if she could help me out and sent another free order but apparently they think i'm just gonna keep sending free cakes and cupcakes so why bother placing an order. Some people think they are slick but i'm a lot smarter than I look. icon_rolleyes.gif My sis ordered a cake from me for a friend so I charged her for it and she seemed upset but I pay for the supplies and I put time into it so I plead my case and she paid, but I doubt she'll send anyone this way. She still hasn't told me what they said about it!!!!What a poopie head icon_mad.gif Guess she'll be going to walmart or publix or whatever supermarket is closest. icon_biggrin.gif Oh well. I just decided going to school would be our best choice since it will be paid for by the VA and I can get an internship. Better than nothing. icon_smile.gif Our rent in cali was only $600 and utilities were only $25 extra. Out here it's $825 and utilities i'm not sure but I got my second gas bill $18. Still waiting on the electric bill praying it's not over $100. I've seen my mothers bill!! icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif I've just been budgeting really well. We rarely go anywhere far just to save gas. Sorry so long.

JulieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieB Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 9:03am
post #10 of 14

I remember when we moved into our home. We called it the "Palace", because it was so big! From a small two bedroom to a very roomy 1600 square foot three bedroom, two bath townhome. We were in heaven!

That was before we had to clean the thing, keep it organized, bought more furniture to fill it up, and, oh my gosh, those dadgummed stairs. Fourteen steps up, fourteen steps down. And that's after going up fourteen steps just to get to the front door. Them stairs get old after a while. Yeesh!

But there's no way I'm going back. I do love my space!

And now, I've got all this furniture.............

LOL

cakedout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedout Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 2:47pm
post #11 of 14

Starkie- thanks for the laugh! icon_biggrin.gif That's exactly what my storage closet looks like too!

OK, spiders are bad enough, but this winter I got mice in my storage closet! icon_mad.gif Double EEEEEEEEWWWWWWW! icon_cry.gif So I had no choice but to do some MAJOR spring cleaning! GROSS!!!

Amazing though.....I managed to find several things I thought I'd lost! icon_lol.gif I purged my closet and my file cabinet of stuff I don't need and was pleasantly pleased at how much space I now have! icon_biggrin.gif Yay!

amoos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amoos Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 2:53pm
post #12 of 14

I never do spring cleaning....here's my secret to keeping everything down-sized and orderly:

Move every 4 years!

Gotta love the military icon_smile.gif

Prudence Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Prudence Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 3:19pm
post #13 of 14

You guys are Cracking me up! LOL!!

I have the same problem. Unfortunately, I just shove everything into my cabinets! Now I have a ton of mini-disasters around my entire house!

One day at a time, girls. Well, thatis what I keep telling myself, anyway!! icon_lol.gif

Curtsmin24 Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 3:30pm
post #14 of 14

I'm almost done!! icon_biggrin.gif All I have left is to clean the bathrooms. Yeah mice are bad but black widows do damage and I was happy to leave california because they were everywhere!!! I did the same thing prudence. When I moved here my husband said no more flyers or coupons because they pile up. He's the type to stuff receipts in his pocket though. My whole body is sore but it is sooo worth it. To add to the frustration and relief I found out my cousin is moving out here from Rhode Island so I am glad I cleaned as much as I did. Can you say psychic??

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%