Get Fondant To Stick To A Dowel??

Decorating By step0nmi Updated 16 Mar 2008 , 1:15pm by mamacc

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 10:22pm
post #1 of 6

I have this cake that I am doing this week! I am trying to replicate the look of a snare drum! (I will attach a photo) I am going to be making these side pegs with a dowel and fondant wrapped around it...then there are these little pegs on each side...it kind of looks like a drawer handle...well! I want to know the BEST way to get the fondant to stick to the fondant...and for the pegs should I let them dry a little before sticking the dowel into it? How should I attach those???

Any help or advice is appreciated! Thanks! (so glad CC is back up! icon_biggrin.gif )
LL

5 replies
minkiemoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minkiemoo Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 11:44pm
post #2 of 6

I would use edible glue to stick the fondant - I make mine up in a little bottle with boiled and cooled water with a tiny amount of cmc/tylose powder sprinkled in, I shake it a little and then leave it over night on the counter and it is ready to use the next day. HTH

step0nmi Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 11:53pm
post #3 of 6

OH! I don't have cmc/tylose?? What is cmc? I have never heard of that!

Is there an easier way? I have this cake due on Thursday...actually It doesn't have to be edible! They aren't going to EAT those pieces! Could I just use elmers or mix a little bit of fondant with water to make like a slip? (like with clay)

SweetDreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetDreams Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 12:57am
post #4 of 6

Hi,

I would make the pegs out of fondant in advance and let them dry. I would also wrap the dowels in advance and use piping gel to attach the fondant to the dowel. To attach the pegs to the cake, try using some kind of toothpick or sucker stick (inserting one end in the peg when you make them and the other end will go into the cake.

I just used piping gel to attach fondant to ice cream cones this weekend for a castle cake and it worked out great!

Hope this helps!

step0nmi Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 1:09am
post #5 of 6

REally! Piping gel....hmmmm icon_rolleyes.gif sounds like a GREAT idea!
THANKS!

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 1:15pm
post #6 of 6

I've wrapped woodend dowels in fondant before. I just used a little water to make the fondant stick. It worked totally fine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%