Satin Ice - Is It Worth The Money And Where To Buy

Decorating By puzzlegut Updated 22 Mar 2008 , 9:49pm by deanwithana

puzzlegut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
puzzlegut Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 8:52pm
post #1 of 50

Thus far, I've been making MMF. Even though it's fairly easy to work with, I don't think I've found anybody that likes the taste or texture of it. I thought about maybe getting some Satin Ice, but I'm wondering if the taste and texture is better compared to MMF and if it's worth the money. Also, are there any good places online where I can order it and it's at a good price, and possibly good shipping rates (or even free shipping if you buy so much)?

49 replies
kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 9:09pm
post #2 of 50

I am a veteran maker/user of MMF, and I have to say that it doesn't compare to Satin Ice as far as workability. I LOVE it when I can splurge on some Satin Ice. I've only tried the vanilla flavor, and the taste of it is really quite yummy, although to be honest, the smell is very strong. I highly recommend trying it for yourself. Global Sugar Art currently has it on sale, and they have great customer service: http://globalsugarart.com/cat.php?cid=799&aff=9X6GECBOFPB9 (or click one of the GSA banner ads that you see here on CC...purchasing when you click through the ad helps CakeCentral!) thumbs_up.gif

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 9:14pm
post #3 of 50

I buy mine at www.fondantsource.com - use DOLLAR as a coupon code for $1 off your order
IEDITED TO ADD: DON'T BUY MINE AT GSA AND DIDN'T WRITE THAT THEY HAVE THE BEST PRICES.

foxymomma521 Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 9:15pm
post #4 of 50

pm me for the site

foxymomma521 Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 9:18pm
post #5 of 50

why can't I write it? it's not the forbidden site... are CCr's only allowed to shop at GSA?!

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 9:21pm
post #6 of 50

Hey puzzlegut! You are in the midwest! I buy Satin Ice from Into the Oven or Country Kitchen Sweet Art....

www.intotheoven.com
www.countrykitchensa.com

and now
www.fondantsource.com
The last one is fondant source and they had a special on it the other day and a CC member posted a thread with a code to get $5 off as well!

SATIN ICE IS SOOO WORTH IT! VERY YUMMY!

kris_813 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kris_813 Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 9:26pm
post #7 of 50

i want to know also!!!!!!

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 9:28pm
post #8 of 50

I just bought a 20-lb tub from www.IntoTheOven.com . Their prices were 50% cheaper than me buying it at my local cake supply store, and that's with shipping too! I don't find the smell too strong (anything when you first open it is going to be strong), but everyone has their likes and dislikes. I find it much easier to work with than anything homemade (I've tried MMF, RBC, and Michele Foster's, though still trying to get Michele's to work for me) and I'm willing to pay a few bucks for convenience sake. Everyone likes something different. Try a 2-lb tub and see if you like it. You can always use it for samples and decorations if you don't want to cover a whole cake with it. I find the taste wonderful. I eat all my scraps. icon_smile.gif

Sugarchic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarchic Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 9:33pm
post #9 of 50

Hi, I bought mine at fondantsource. Also I went to a class where the instructor mixed in some chocopan so that it could be more easier to work with. thanks

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 9:41pm
post #10 of 50

i second into the oven - i get 20 lbs shipped to me for 11 dollars usually within 72 hours (regular not expidited). it is zip code based. anyway, its about 47.oo for 20 lbs and is wonderful to work with. very smooth, rolls thinner too, so it lasts longer.

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 9:41pm
post #11 of 50

I LOVE Satinice! I hate mxing colors especially black and red so I just purchase the premade colors...a big time saver! I have ordered mine directly from www.satinfinefoods.com but you do have to call them to order but recently I ordered mine from www.ultimatebaker.com who are located in Spokane WA which saved some shipping for me since I'm in Western WA.

step0nmi Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 9:44pm
post #12 of 50

OMG you guys! They straight up added in the info about Global Sugar Art into my post! I SWEAR I didn't put that in there! I am sure they have good prices I just normally guy from those other people! Straaange! icon_confused.gif

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 9:49pm
post #13 of 50

I get mine locally.

And yeah I noticed CC is blocking almost all brand names. Wonder why. A cake dummy store I listed in another post got blocked.

Premade fondant is definitely worth the money!!!

Jazz2U Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jazz2U Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 9:58pm
post #14 of 50

I'm so disappointed to hear the MMF isn't tasty. I've heard it was. Maybe you should try another recipe. I don't have the time or energy to make it.

I don't care for the Satin Ice except for the chocolate. The other ones have a strong odor when you open them. I do use them when I'm making something large in color. The black is excellent for making leather. My husband & brother were amazed at the leather jacket cake and how it looked like leather.

The red you can't beat. I recently bought the Choco Pan after hearing it was good but have yet to use it.

I usually buy the Satine Ice from Into the Oven. I buy other supplies at Global Sugar Art which I find to be reasonable & fast & great customer service. I ordered last Saturday & I think I had it by Wednesday. Unfortunately, some items were missing but they are being shipped. (Thanks Alan!) He thinks part of my shipment went to someone else. Ok, now who got my food color & butterfly mold?????????

kris_813 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kris_813 Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 9:58pm
post #15 of 50

OMG

dustymorris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dustymorris Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 10:08pm
post #16 of 50

I just wanted to add about the blocked on-line stores. That has happend to me and I couldn' t even pm any one the site that I was wanting to share. You'll probably have to email each other when it comes to other sites....thats what I had to do.
And thanks for asking about the satinice, puzzlegut! I was interested too! icon_smile.gif

Kitagrl Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 10:13pm
post #17 of 50

Not sure I understand that. I guess you could space letters unless its totally against the rules...such as www.**********.com (Hope I don't get in trouble! Sorry! Just making a suggestion for the private messages!)

step0nmi Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 10:24pm
post #18 of 50

ya know...I that things NOT showing up is a result of commercialization...Jackie and Heath cannot do this on their own and they have to add other sites on here to keep it going...I wonder if donating more money would help the problem?? hmmm... icon_rolleyes.gif

Richiescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Richiescakes Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 10:26pm
post #19 of 50

I like Satin Ice as well -- I used to make my own MMF --blowing up my blenders -- icon_smile.gif and finally decided to try intotheoven. if you live in IL, you'll get in ship to you in 1 day! Can't beat that!

dustymorris Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 10:27pm
post #20 of 50

I am thinking of buying some of the satinice while it is on sale at Global Sugar art, for a cake in June. Will it last that long? Does anyone know its shelf life?

dustymorris Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 10:30pm
post #21 of 50

Boy!!!! You enter that name and they highlight it....wether you want it or not!! icon_lol.gif

Berecca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Berecca Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 10:30pm
post #22 of 50

Jazz2u - I have never tried the Satin Ice fondant. I always use MMF, and I like it! Everyone I've made cakes for likes it, too - I just have to roll it thin. If it's too thick, it's too sweet too eat it with the cake.

luddroth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luddroth Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 10:35pm
post #23 of 50

I have always used Pettinice, which was recommended in my cake decorating classes with Toba Garrett in New York. It's a little harder to find, but if you google it, you will find suppliers. It handles very well and, to me, is just what fondant tastes like -- too sweet, but otherwise fine. I recently made the Michele Foster MMF and found it so soft that my cake sagged in the middle and everywhere else -- the fondant stretched after it was on the cake. Michele's chocolate fondant recipe, however, worked great and tastes delicious.

cookieman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookieman Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 10:37pm
post #24 of 50

I use Satin Ice on my cookies. As far as fondant goes, it's a very good product. But to be honest, I've never met a fondant that I really liked the taste of. It is fine on cookies, because the excellent, buttery taste of cookies outweighs the fondant. But if you try to eat some fondant by itslef! Ugggh. JMHO.

butternut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butternut Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 10:37pm
post #25 of 50

Yes, Satin Ice is worth the money. It is wonderful to work with and the taste is pretty good too.

Kitagrl Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 10:38pm
post #26 of 50

I actually would rather eat fondant by itself...the texture with cake is icky to me.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 10:38pm
post #27 of 50

Please stop the whining about blocked sites and highlighting of certain sites and items.

1) re highlighting -- this was being done when Jackie and Heath ran a store here on CC as a way to remind use all they had it for sale and buying from the CC store would benefit us all. Now that there is no CC store and Jackie and Heath have made a deal wtih Global Sugar arts to receive a portion of all sales made by CC members who buy AFTER THEY CLICK ON the ad here on CC -- it still BENEFITS us.

Got it -- those highlights can = $$$$ for CC

2) re the blocked sites -- Jackie and Heath are NOT doing it to

annoy
stifle competition
be mean
be nasty
or in any other way cause a dust up ...

RATHER.

they have HAD to block them due to very bad "ju-ju" sent their way by the owners of those sites, especially that one in Ohio!

THOSE site owners have even hinted (threatened?) calling in the legal beagles to "take a few bites out of CC"

so....just DO NOT recommend them -- after all -- doing so is "consorting with the enemy" -- and no one wants to be a traitor to CC now do they?

----

now as for Stain Ice --- Hallelujah!!!!

having made/used MMF and used Stain Ice.....

MMF -- fuhgeddahboutit!!!!!

Satin Ice the only way to go.

luddroth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luddroth Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 10:47pm
post #28 of 50

Whoa! If the folks at GSA are that heavy-handed, I'm less enthusiastic about shopping there.

Heath Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Heath Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 10:50pm
post #29 of 50

Doug is correct. The only sites that are blocked are sites that have either threatened us with legal action at some point, or who were violating our terms of use by spamming the forums at some point.

While we do recommend globalsugarart.com, and feel that they have the best service in the industry, we recognize that our members enjoy shopping from a variety of vendors. The only ones that are banned are companies, that as Doug called it, have brought bad "ju-ju" to Jackie and I.

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 10:52pm
post #30 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by luddroth

Whoa! If the folks at are that heavy-handed, I'm less enthusiastic about shopping there.

Huh? Global Sugar Art has a deal with CC so that we get specials and CC benefits too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%