Repost: Wedding Cake Concerns

Decorating By flowermom Updated 16 Mar 2008 , 9:38pm by flowermom

flowermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flowermom Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 7:32pm
post #1 of 7

I appreciate all those of you who answered my concerns on the wedding cake I had been asked to do. Unfortunately I only got to read a few of the replies.

Quick overview of what I posted. A friend sent a bride to me, who also has experience decorating cakes, wants a cake for her wedding, wants to help, want whipped cream, and is going to use sheet cakes for serving to guest.

First I haven't ever done a wedding cake, nor a whipped cream cake. I have another commitment the same day of her wedding. She wants to freeze the cake, which I am not comfortable with, because she used to do that when she decorated cakes at her place of employment. (they didn't' actually bake the cakes, they had them delivered frozen, then they decorated them.) I had already told my friend that I could do it, but she gave the bride my number anyways. I only do this as a hobby, I am not a business.

I feel backed into a corner to do this, but I am pretty sure I am going to have to call back and tell the bride that I can't do this. I just don't feel comfortable with this as my first wedding cake. Any suggestions on the best way to deal with this and to tell the Bride no nicely??

TIA, Sandi

6 replies
fabfour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fabfour Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 7:54pm
post #2 of 7

Just tell her that you have a prior commitment and you are sorry but you couldn't give her cake the attention it needed.

Now, is she baking the cakes, freezing and then wanting you to decorate? or is she asking you to bake, freeze and then decorate?
Freezing cakes isn't that big of a deal, that is the only way I do cakes. I know there are differing opinion on this but I always freeze a cake for at least 12-24 hours before I decorate. A wedding cake, I bake about 2 weeks sometimes 3 before a wedding. I'm telling you, I've had people come to me and tell me they have never had a cake taste that fresh and moist and want to know my secret.
Now, if she is wanting to bake and you decorate....NO WAY IN (you know where)!!! I would NEVER agree to that.
But please for a first wedding cake, make sure you are comfortable with the bride and the situation because the stress of a wedding cake (specially your first) is unbelievable and I would hate for your first to fail from the beginning.

Missy

JenniferL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferL Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 8:04pm
post #3 of 7

Just be honest with her. Just let know that you don't feel comfortable making it and that you have a prior commitment the same day. She should understand especially if she's decorated cakes before. It takes a lot of time to make a wedding cake and you don't want to double the stress of it by not being comfortable with the situation. I've been there & done that and it wasn't worth the stress.

Good luck! icon_smile.gif

darcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darcat Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 8:05pm
post #4 of 7

If your feeling backed into a corner then it sounds like you seriously dont want to get involved with this cake. So just tell her the truth you have a prior commitment and dont have even 5 minutes to yourself let alone her cake. Put a smile on your face and use your most pleasant voice BUT be firm in your decision.

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 8:20pm
post #5 of 7

I would say you already have another obligation. Forget your friend since she's not listening to you and just tell that to the bride directly. And definitely, NO, to her assisting you with the cake. She will definitely find faults with your technique just causing you a big headache.

flowermom Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 9:34pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabfour

Just tell her that you have a prior commitment and you are sorry but you couldn't give her cake the attention it needed.

Now, is she baking the cakes, freezing and then wanting you to decorate? or is she asking you to bake, freeze and then decorate?
Freezing cakes isn't that big of a deal, that is the only way I do cakes. I know there are differing opinion on this but I always freeze a cake for at least 12-24 hours before I decorate. A wedding cake, I bake about 2 weeks sometimes 3 before a wedding. I'm telling you, I've had people come to me and tell me they have never had a cake taste that fresh and moist and want to know my secret.
Now, if she is wanting to bake and you decorate....NO WAY IN (you know where)!!! I would NEVER agree to that.
But please for a first wedding cake, make sure you are comfortable with the bride and the situation because the stress of a wedding cake (specially your first) is unbelievable and I would hate for your first to fail from the beginning.

Missy

I am not really sure what it is she wants to "help" me with. If I understood correctly she doesn't have equipment to bake, rather to just decorate. So maybe it's that she would do both. Personally I am not comfortable with any help.

As for the freezing, I think she means for me to do the entire cake and then freeze it before the ceremony. Then let it thaw that morning. Never having done that, I am not all that confident it doing that either. I do make cake layers ahead of time and freeze with no problem, but never have I done the entire cake.

I was going to talk with her today, but it didn't work out. Basically from what I read on here and my own concerns, I am just going to call her tomorrow and say I can't. Honestly the commitment I have is pretty major for me and my family so I don't need more stress added to it. I really would love to do a wedding cake in the future, but this just isn't' that time.

Thanks, Sandi

flowermom Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 9:38pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by aswartzw

I would say you already have another obligation. Forget your friend since she's not listening to you and just tell that to the bride directly. And definitely, NO, to her assisting you with the cake. She will definitely find faults with your technique just causing you a big headache.

I so agree! I also realized I probably shouldn't even try a wedding cake for someone I barely know since I am not licensed in anyway. If anything should happen, can you imagine who would get the blame, not her, she is the bride and she "helped" me with the cake!

Just and FYI this "friend" rarely listens anyways so I don't feel bad not doing her friends cake. She is the one I told I couldn't do it in the first place!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%