Has Anyone Ever Made Homemade Sparkle Sugars?

Decorating By Kiddiekakes Updated 8 Jan 2007 , 10:41am by kncab

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 6 Jan 2007 , 9:01pm
post #1 of 9

I thought I read one here one time that a member made her own sanding sugars by using lustre dust mixed with a bit of pearl dust.You can buy the course sugar so I thought putting some in a baggy and adding a bit of lustre or even petal,shimmer dust and shake..Any thoughts?? Has any one tried this??

Laurel thumbs_up.gif

8 replies
sweetamber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetamber Posted 6 Jan 2007 , 10:31pm
post #2 of 9

I've done it with powdered food colors and even with gel colors, but that's a real pain because it has to dry for a while before you can use it (at least that's how it was for me). I don't see why dusts wouldn't work just as well!

Amber

sweetamber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetamber Posted 6 Jan 2007 , 10:42pm
post #3 of 9

BTW, speaking of luster and pearl dusts- did anyone else notice that they're now available in the CC store icon_eek.gif ? And at a really good price too icon_biggrin.gif .I just ordered some- now all we need are a few more color options and some petal dusts and I'm all set!

Amber

Heath Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Heath Posted 6 Jan 2007 , 10:47pm
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetamber

BTW, speaking of luster and pearl dusts- did anyone else notice that they're now available in the CC store icon_eek.gif ? And at a really good price too icon_biggrin.gif .I just ordered some- now all we need are a few more color options and some petal dusts and I'm all set!

Amber

'

shhhh... they are not really available yet.. they will be in a couple hours.. you got lucky sneaking in that order while we were entering products...

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 7 Jan 2007 , 2:14am
post #5 of 9

I make my own colored sugars--both fine and coarse (sanding) all of the time. I like being able to custom match the colors. I use the paste or gel colors.

I place the sugar in a plastic zip loc bag and add only a drop or two of color to start. I loc the bag and rub the sugar and color around until the sugar is coated, the drop is gone, and the sugar not clumped. If it needs to be darker, I do it again. No drying time at all and it keeps just fine.

Needless to say, bulk white sugar in any degree of fineness is cheaper and if you only need a teaspoon, you can make it and be done with it---no storage issues.

Rae

ValMommytoDanny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ValMommytoDanny Posted 8 Jan 2007 , 9:16am
post #6 of 9

What a great question. I just bought some sugars tonight and I have to say they are a tad expensive. I will give coloring my own a try.
thanks!
icon_smile.gif

karennayak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karennayak Posted 8 Jan 2007 , 9:39am
post #7 of 9

I use the same method as Blakescakes.

The best part of this is that you can make as much or as little as you need, you can make the specific colour and shade you want, and it is so much cheaper!

I used this on my Santa Cupcake cake (hat) in my photos.

Karen

Briarview Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Briarview Posted 8 Jan 2007 , 9:41am
post #8 of 9

When I make biscuits and I want to decorate the icing instead of using jelly crystals I would add say red food colouring with the sugar and pop on the top. I have done that for years so suppose it would be the same thing. Never thought of that before as I have always admired the sparkles but never bought them.

kncab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kncab Posted 8 Jan 2007 , 10:41am
post #9 of 9

I too have used the sugar and color mixed together. But You just don't get that nice sparkle like you do with the lustre dusts.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%