My House Flooded From The Inside

Lounge By dldbrou Updated 16 Mar 2008 , 3:20am by Dordee

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 1:04pm
post #1 of 8

Well, let me start off by saying, I went to review a top of the line LG washing machine two weeks ago. I came home and told my husband that I found my dream washer and dryer and they only cost $2,000 plus each. His response was, "Yeah that will happen". Then, less than a week later, I was washing clothes at night (cheaper rates at night) and my washer started screaming. My husband went to check it out and said he smelled rubber and not to wash clothes unless I was around to watch the machine. Two days later, I tried washing a load and the machine died in the middle of the load.

I bolted out the door the next morning in search of my dream machine. No, I wasn't getting the $2,000 machine, but I was sticking to an LG and getting as much energy efficiency as I could afford. I found my washer and also bought the dryer that matched (fire engine red). It was being delivered within four days.

My husband stayed home for the deliver, because my washer and dryer are located upstairs in a hall closet and it is tricky moving the machines from upstairs. I get a call at work and my husband tells me that we have a problem with the washer. My first thought is that it doesn't fit in the closet. Wrong, when my husband tried to loosen the hot water connection, the pipe broke inside the wall. I rushed home to find the electricity had been turned off and it was raining all over my kitchen. Every towel in my house was used to try and sop up the water. The water to the house was turned off for the entire day as well.

Okay, fast forward to today. My new washer and dryer sit downstairs in the middle of my living room, my kitchen ceiling is falling down, no lights work in my kitchen and some of the outlets are dead and I have a huge hole in the wall of my laundry closet. The one good thing to come out of this disaster is that I had wanted to enlarge the laundry room by knocking down the closet that is right behind it and now my husband has consented to the remodeling.

If you have read through all of this, I hope you can now say to yourself when you are dreaming of your favorite appliance, be careful what you wish for, you might get your dream and then some nightmares. icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

7 replies
Luby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Luby Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 1:29pm
post #2 of 8

When it rains it pours (sorry, I couldn't resist). That must be an absolute nightmare especially when you think all you wanted was a new washer & dryer. So sorry to hear this - hope you guys can get everything up and running soon.

BTW, I'm in Lafayette - nice to meet you icon_biggrin.gif

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 2:31pm
post #3 of 8

Good grief! What a mess. I'm glad everything is okay now.

dldbrou Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 2:54pm
post #4 of 8

Hi Luby, I didn't know anyone on this site lived so close.
Hi michellenj, unfortunately everything is not okay because we are on hold until the insurance adjuster takes a look. I want to start removing the sheetrock on the ceiling because it is falling in pieces and making a mess. I am discovering that water went inside cabinets, so I get to take everything out and clean every cabinet. The smell is also lovely.

To top it off, I had dental surgery yesterday, so I am very limited as to what I can do. Painkillers, they could be a blessing in disguise.

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 3:04pm
post #5 of 8

Call the insurance adjuster and get a fire going under his butt, you need to get that water taken care of or you are going to have mold issues.

I had my hot water heater flood my basement just before christmas and i took pictures, talked to one of those water clean up places to get an estimate, talked to the adjuster, told him i had to get this done and couldn't leave the water sitting there cause i'm allergic to mold and couldn't take a chance on it getting ahold of my space. Went ahead an did the clean up and by the time the adjuster got there it was done and he wrote the check for us to pay for it. No questions asked

mpitrelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mpitrelli Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 6:52pm
post #6 of 8

So sorry this happened to you. I have been in the same situation before by the time I got it cleaned up we had mold starting to grow. Living in Florida it happens fast. Get on the agent and lie if you have to telling him that you have serve alergies and you can not wait on him. Other wise tell him that you will be also paying for your medical expesses as well.

dldbrou Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 6:55pm
post #7 of 8

I told my husband to just take pictures and start tearing down the ceiling. He has agreed and will hopefully start tonight to remove the sheetrock.

Dordee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dordee Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 3:20am
post #8 of 8

Oh Debbie I am so sorry to hear about all of this! What a nightmare!!! I hope you can get everything cleaned up and taken care of really soon. The smell from water damage is HORRIBLE! In my old home we had water damage in our master bath and bedroom once. I thought I would vomit everytime I went in there for a long time. One good thing is you're getting the remodeling you wanted done. Hang in there!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%