Help!!! Super Red Luster Dust Looks Like A Dark Pink!!!

Decorating By cakesbyamym Updated 6 Jan 2007 , 10:45pm by ShirleyW

cakesbyamym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyamym Posted 6 Jan 2007 , 7:59pm
post #1 of 7

Okay, I'm in the home stretch for a big bridal shower order for tomorrow. I took out my luster dust to paint my fondant bow (that's supposed to be RED), and when I mixed the dust with extract, it's PINK!!! Help!!!

Amy

6 replies
ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 6 Jan 2007 , 8:20pm
post #2 of 7

It is too late to help you on this one, but I mix Poppy Red petal dust with a bit of Super Pearl Luster dust. That's what I used on Dorothy shoes on the Oz cake, although I decided I needed more sparkle so then sprayed the shoes with edible laquer and sprinkled them with red disco dust.

cakesbyamym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyamym Posted 6 Jan 2007 , 9:50pm
post #3 of 7

Thanks for the tip, Shirley. I've written down your "recipe" for red, and am getting ready to order what's needed to have it on hand. I ended up mixing my super red color paste with vanilla extract, and it looks really good. I'm going to go back over it with another coating once it's dry, and then, top it off with some super pearl dust. I LOVE the shimmery look!

Again, thank you, as always, for the help.

Amy

missyek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyek Posted 6 Jan 2007 , 9:54pm
post #4 of 7

Thanks for the info Shirley! I have the super red luster dust, but have not had an opportunity to use it--now I know what petal dust I have to order... icon_wink.gif

katy625 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katy625 Posted 6 Jan 2007 , 9:56pm
post #5 of 7

I also use the poppy red petal dust mixed with Vodka. I have the bow on the present cake in my photos painted with it also with pearl dust on top. The woman at my cake supply store told me that they haven't come out with a really good red yet.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 6 Jan 2007 , 10:01pm
post #6 of 7

I did exactly what Shirley said a long time ago for a red hibiscus on a cake (the tropical cake I had posted) and I found that the pearl made it look pink, so I ended up adding a couple of containers of the red to get a red lustre dust and I put that over red royal icing. Just be sure that when you are adding the pearl to the red that you don't overdo it (which is easy to do!)

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 6 Jan 2007 , 10:45pm
post #7 of 7

I didn't post proportions because I figured it was too late to help. But when I say I mix a "bit" of Super Pearl in with the Poppy Red I suppose it would be like 1/2 teaspoon Red Poppy and to that I would add just a pinch of Super Pearl. You don't want to change the color, just add some sparkle to it. I haven't tried the red luster dust, who makes it? I have a beautiful Raspberry luster dust but it is too purple for something you want to be bright red.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%