Cash Register Cake

Decorating By puzzlegut Updated 12 Mar 2007 , 7:53pm by Doug

puzzlegut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
puzzlegut Posted 5 Jan 2007 , 5:35pm
post #1 of 9

Next month, I want to do a cake for my brother's birthday. I was thinking of doing a cash register cake since he's a manager of a bank and he use to collect antique cash registers. but i'm having trouble coming up with construction of the cake. I figure I could use a square cake as the base of the cash register, but I'm not sure how to do the top part or the "hump" of the register. Any ideas what cake sizes or shapes I could use to achieve this?

8 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 5 Jan 2007 , 9:43pm
post #2 of 9

this may help.

9x13 trimmed to 8x12 for base.

one layer 8in round cut into quarters and stood on edge for hump.

second 9x13 trimmed to 8x12 and then cut into 8x2 sections -- stack FIVE for the back and the extra for the tummy --- that high of stack should be doweled and boarded like any stacked cake.

also use dowels both horizontally side to side through hump and even push from back into hump to make extra secure.

for even more strength glue together w/ melted chocolate instead of BC.
-----------

if smooth sides not necessary and you want a little ledge around base and at sides of hump...

don't trim bottom 9x13 and then cut five 2in wide pieces from the other.
HTH
LL

puzzlegut Posted 9 Jan 2007 , 4:45pm
post #3 of 9

Thanks for the suggestion Doug. That's definately a lot bigger then I need. Do you think there is anyway to make it smaller? Also, I wonder if the cake would look better if it's just frosted or if it's covered in chocolate MMF.

Doug Posted 9 Jan 2007 , 10:51pm
post #4 of 9

ok...

so use one 9x13 and one 6 inch round.

cut 9x13 in half to 9x6.5...that becomes the base long ways.

cut other half into four 2x6 pieces and stack at back like above.

cut 6 inch round into four quarter and use only 3 to make the hump.

9x13 trimmings and other fourth of round can be made into cake balls.

so...cake is now
6.5 in wide
9 in long
stands 10 in at back
ledge in fron to hump is down to 1 inch
1/4 ledge to either side of hump
amount area only 1 layer high.

just for ability to do higher level of detailing (and for me at least ease) I'd do MMF.

can use large round tip to cut out the buttons for the keys on the register for example and just put them on.

also easier for me to use stencils and cut w/ knife to get the various complex shapes like the little price signs at the top.

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 9 Jan 2007 , 11:05pm
post #5 of 9

those are great directions Doug! makes me want to make one now. thats the kind of breakdown that is needed in a cake sculpting book, are you writing one yet???

puzzlegut Posted 10 Jan 2007 , 4:57pm
post #6 of 9

Thanks Doug. That should work icon_smile.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 11 Jan 2007 , 5:44pm
post #7 of 9

I have an idea.........why not do the bottom of it in cake........and then do the hump and top out of styrofoam since you don't need that many servings.....cover the whole thing in fondant and just remove the top portion when serving?? then you could still make a large cash register "lifesize" and not have sooooooooo much extra cake!!

puzzlegut Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 3:30pm
post #8 of 9

I'm going to try to cover the cake in fondant. But I'm wondering, should I cover some of the pieces separately (i.e. the hump, the base, the tall stack behind the hump) and then just place them all together, or should I try to cover the whole thing in fondant all at once?

Also, do you think there is any possible way to have the keys sticking out of the cake, like you would normally see on the old fashion style of cash register? If not, then I'll just place the round cut out pieces of fondant directly onto the hump of the cake.

If I want the cash register to have a woodsy look to it, how can I do it with fondant? Should I try to add some color to it and only slightly kneed it so it'll still have swirls in it, or could I thin down some color paste and paint onto the fondant?

Doug Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 7:53pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzlegut

I'm going to try to cover the cake in fondant. But I'm wondering, should I cover some of the pieces separately (i.e. the hump, the base, the tall stack behind the hump) and then just place them all together, or should I try to cover the whole thing in fondant all at once?

since so complex, and since different parts could easily be different colors, I'd probably piece it together. the seams could actually be emphasized to make it look more like a real old-fashioned register where the seams WOULD be visible. -- if you can find a really good pic of a real one...cut the fondant up and seam it like on the real deal.

Quote:

Also, do you think there is any possible way to have the keys sticking out of the cake, like you would normally see on the old fashion style of cash register? If not, then I'll just place the round cut out pieces of fondant directly onto the hump of the cake.

make the key tops in advance (roll thick fondant and cut out w/ a large round tip) and then stick into the a short piece of a lollipop stick. set aside and allow to get good and hard. the stick, back and edges of fondant can be painted gray to look more metallic. just be sure the lollipop stick piece is long enough to push into cake and hold the fondant circle as high as you want. the top of the circle would get the amount drawn on it.

Quote:

If I want the cash register to have a woodsy look to it, how can I do it with fondant? Should I try to add some color to it and only slightly kneed it so it'll still have swirls in it, or could I thin down some color paste and paint onto the fondant?

base tint the fondant a brown and then have at it painting it w/ several shades of darker tones to give it that wood-grained look. if you ever done the various faux finishing techniques for walls that use glazing, etc. , same idea here.

HTH

(anxiously awaiting this masterpiece!!!! thumbs_up.gif )

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%