Fears And Phobias - Ideas To Help Me Help A Friend

Lounge By itsmylife Updated 23 Feb 2008 , 4:46pm by itsmylife

itsmylife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsmylife Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 8:07am
post #1 of 3

I have a very good friend (married, two little kids) who has a terrible fear of frogs. We've joked about it over the years, but whenever she does have an incident with a frog, she goes into a full panic attack - crying, screaming, runs from wherever the frog is, etc.

She once called her husband to come home from work because there was a frog on their patio and she was crying so bad. I feel so bad for her sometimes. She has no idea how this whole thing started... but it's hard for everyone around her to understand because no one that she is close to has a fear/phobia like she does.

Anyhow - tonite there was another incident, and her kids got frightened because she was freaking out. Other than going to a psychiatrist.... does anyone have any other ideas or ways to help her? I've been looking up stuff on the web and I'm not sure if maybe there are some good books she could read or what. Anything that is along the self-help line? Has anyone dealt with this?

Thanx in advance - I just want to help her any way I can.

2 replies
antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 9:23am
post #2 of 3

I have a friend who is the exact same way with frogs.

What about hypnosis?

itsmylife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsmylife Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 4:46pm
post #3 of 3

I told her about the hypnosis.... found a lot of that on the web... not just with frogs, but with most phobias. I've never know anyone who has used hypnosis and neither does she.....so I don't know if she is reluctant to try it because she doesnt think it'll work or what.

I think she really wants to get help.... but, at the same time, she's afraid to get help. I'd really like to find something that is good that she could read, and then see if I can find someplace for her to go (there is a little bit of a language barrier, so that is why I'm trying to do all the footwork for her)... I just really hate to see her go thru these things, and want to help her any way I can - I just don't know much about bad phobias like this.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%