Please Help With Oreo Cookie Cake!!!!?????

Decorating By beachysweets Updated 23 Feb 2008 , 7:52pm by Marysmom

beachysweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachysweets Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 2:12am
post #1 of 9

I'm going to make a cake that looks like an oreo cookie, based off the awesome ones in the gallery here on cc. I love the "Dark Chocolate Cake" recipe and want to ice and decorate in BC. The recipe on the back of the box of hershey's cocoa powder is very good, but does anyone have another great chocolate icing/BC recipe?

I know that the middle layer (oreo "filling") needs to be iced in white-colored BC. I'm thinking of still using chocolate cake, and using a mint BC. Does that sound good or like a recipe for disaster. Any recipes or flavor combinations are greatly appreciated icon_smile.gif thanks.

8 replies
beachysweets Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 3:35am
post #2 of 9

icon_biggrin.gif

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 7:17am
post #3 of 9

Well beachysweets mint and chocolate is a very popular combo in a candy but I think chocolate and coffee is even better for a cake, also I've tried the Hershey's cocoa frosting recipe and I like it too, so good luck and let us know how you oreo cake came out. icon_smile.gif

Marysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marysmom Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 12:54pm
post #4 of 9

Have you ever tried Chocolate Cream Cheese frosting? I'm typically not a cream cheese eater, however, I love chocolate cream cheese frosting. It's just the best. So rich and creamy. If you use dutch process cocoa in the recipe, the frosting will be very dark.

1 8 oz pkg cream cheese softened
1 stick butter, softened
1/2 cup dutch process cocoa powder, sifted
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
4 cups confectioners sugar, sifted (I use a 1 pound box)

Blend cream cheese and butter together, then add the rest of the ingredients. Blend until creamy.

beachysweets Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 6:14pm
post #5 of 9

What kind of creme cheese do you use, and where do you get the dutch process cocoa? I haven't used a creme cheese frosting before. (Thanks)

JERSYGRL111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JERSYGRL111 Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 7:20pm
post #6 of 9

There is a oreo "mousse" I love...not sure if it will work as filling, but I don't see why not. Its cool whip, oreo crumbles, & box of pudding powder (do not make pudding as directed)...let chill a few hours in fridge. The good thing about this is that there are so many pudding flavors out there ( I use white chocolate..mmm)

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 7:32pm
post #7 of 9

I love the recipe here on CC! MY EASY CHOC BUTTERCREAM FROSTING ! Its not overly sweet !JERSYGRL111.. What do you use your OREO MOUSSE for ? Since your not sure it will work as a filling? Thanks !

Tomoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tomoore Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 7:37pm
post #8 of 9

I'm with Jerseygirl...I have made an Oreo/Cookies n' Cream filling with whipping cream and oreo flavored pudding. I didn't need to add anything else.

Marysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marysmom Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 7:52pm
post #9 of 9

I just typically use the Kraft brand of cream cheese in a block. And a good way to soften cream cheese is to unwrap it and put it on a plate. Then microwave on high for 30 seconds. I use this method because it can take several hours for cream cheese to come to room temp. And leaving cream cheese out for that long is iffy. Also, do not over mix a cream cheese frosting. Over mixing cream cheese can leave you with a runny mess.

Dutch process cocoa powder is cocoa powder that has been treated with alkali. It's often referred to as European Style. You can use regular or dutch process in this recipe. The only difference is the the dutch process cocoa will make the frosting very dark, almost black. Whereas, regular cocoa will produce a lighter colored frosting. You can find dutch process cocoa right near the other cocoa powders.

Everyone's suggestions sound wonderful. I hope you find something you like.

Gen

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%