Choc Cov Strawberries... Do You Add Shortening To The Choc??

Decorating By eieio1234 Updated 24 Feb 2008 , 1:24am by eieio1234

eieio1234 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eieio1234 Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 12:02am
post #1 of 21

I hope people can understand my abbreviated subject line!!

I did chocolate covered strawberries for a customer last year and she asked me to do them again. When I did them last time I did not add shortening to the chocolate chips when I melted them as I've read in some recipes... and dipping was ok but the chocolate did seem a little thick. I'm wondering if I should have added the shortening, if it would flow better.. I have 70 to do in the morning, any pointers would be appreciated!

20 replies
plbennett_8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plbennett_8 Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 12:12am
post #2 of 21

Shortening definitely makes the chocolate flow better... I did a bunch of chocolate covered cherry's at christmas and it was a must...

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 1:06am
post #3 of 21

what kind of chocolate do you use? For dipping strawberries and cherries, I use the choc disks .... usually white chocolate, but I have used the chocolate-choc on a few occasions.

I never add the crisco.

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 1:18am
post #4 of 21

I've found that the chocolate doesn't harden if you add crisco. It tastes a little better to me to have it fudgy, but it's also harder to work with depending on how you are selling them. If you were to dip them and place them on a cake then I would use crisco, for someone to serve them at a dinner party, no crisco. jmo!

eieio1234 Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 1:41am
post #5 of 21

When I was reading recipes it seemed the ones with cream or corn syrup didn't set but the shortening ones would. Ugh. I need them to set.

I'm not using chocolate flavored wafers but milk chocolate, Ghirardelli...

BJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BJ Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 1:44am
post #6 of 21

Can I ask a question to all that have made choc. covered strawberries?
How do you keep the strawberries from "sweating"? I have to do a cake for a party and they've asked for choc. covered strawberries. I've only done them once and that time I made them the day before and by the time I took them out of the fridge to place on the cake the next morning- they were "oozing" juice. It was very yucky! icon_cry.gif Can anyone help me? I came on to post the question and saw this thread. Hope someone can help. THank you.

indydebi Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 1:54am
post #7 of 21

I usually make them last thing, the night before the event. I put them in a 2" tall cake box (some call it a pie-box) in the 'frig. They are the last things removed from the 'frig when we load the van. (I'm talking a Post-It on the back door that says "Dont' forget the strawberries!" because the crew is waiting and the van is running when I pull them out of the 'frig! icon_lol.gif ).

If the event is late afternoon (5:00-ish or so), then I make them the morning of. I've never noticed a big seeping problem. Not sure what I do that may or may not contribute to this. I wash them, dry them in paper towels, dip in chocolate, set them in little candy papers (mini cupcake papers), let them dry on the counter, then pack them in the boxes.

eieio1234 Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 1:58am
post #8 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ

Can I ask a question to all that have made choc. covered strawberries?
How do you keep the strawberries from "sweating"? .

I've been researching this for half an hour, it seems they sweat if you dip them when they're cold, you should do it at room temp.

eieio1234 Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 2:01am
post #9 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I wash them, dry them in paper towels, dip in chocolate, set them in little candy papers (mini cupcake papers), let them dry on the counter, then pack them in the boxes.

Indydebi, do you add shortening to the chocolate? Some recipes show 2T for every 16 oz of chocolate. Some show heavy cream. I'm afraid to add the shortening, I need them to set hard, but most recipes show it in there and that it does set hard. I don't know what I'm doing at this point! Help!

Peeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peeg Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 2:03am
post #10 of 21

I do use some shortning, when the chocolate is too thick. I also have tried some parafin wax. I had a recipe that called for parafin wax with the chocolate to dip peanutbutter balls. Works real good and very shiney.

eieio1234 Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 2:07am
post #11 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peeg

I do use some shortning, when the chocolate is too thick. I also have tried some parafin wax. I had a recipe that called for parafin wax with the chocolate to dip peanutbutter balls. Works real good and very shiney.

Do they harden with the shortening in there??

Arriva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Arriva Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 2:20am
post #12 of 21

Great post -- I am of the opinion that I am strawberry-stupid. I love the way they taste, but mine are anything but neat. Someone mentioned chocolate disks, is that the same as Wilton melts? Mine always seems thick, and are never neat and shiny.

hhcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hhcakes Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 2:22am
post #13 of 21

I use dark chocolate discs (Alpine brand). You can add shortening (1-2 T. per pound) or paramount crystals and the chocolate will set up. The Alpine chocolate rarely needs any shortening added but the white chocolate sometimes is too thick. I've never had any trouble with it being too runny or not setting up. I always clean the strawberries and stick them in the fridge before I dip them so they're cool. I dip strawberries at the last possible moment too....right before I need them....never the night before.

snifflesmcg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snifflesmcg Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 2:23am
post #14 of 21

I always use shortening when making chocolate covered strawberries. I just melt down some semi sweet morsels and dip away. They always turn out perfect.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 2:45am
post #15 of 21

I add just the tiniest bit of shortening (about 1T/lb. of chocolate) so it flows smoothly and so that when it sets up (and it does set up just fine), the coating doesn't crack and fall off with the first bite. With a little shortening, the coating holds on the rest of the berry so that you have a bit with every bite--especially good if you score humungous berries.

Rae

indydebi Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 4:08am
post #16 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by eieio1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I wash them, dry them in paper towels, dip in chocolate, set them in little candy papers (mini cupcake papers), let them dry on the counter, then pack them in the boxes.

Indydebi, do you add shortening to the chocolate? Some recipes show 2T for every 16 oz of chocolate. Some show heavy cream. I'm afraid to add the shortening, I need them to set hard, but most recipes show it in there and that it does set hard. I don't know what I'm doing at this point! Help!

I dont' add any shortening, but I use the chocolate disks (wilton melts) ... usually I dip the berries in white chocoalte, just because I like the look. I would think that regular choc chips are "thicker" (not sure how to describe it) .... they are structured to actually withstand the heat and hold their shape, so adding some shortening to choc chips would be a good idea, whereas the choc disks (the 'melts') are designed to be melted and remolded so their texture may be different.

I'm TOTALLY guessing on all of that so if anyone has any add'l info on this theory, please correct me.

znz123456 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
znz123456 Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 6:46am
post #17 of 21

I use semi sweet morsels w/ 1- 2 tsp Crisco per 12 oz. bag. To keep them from sweating I wash the berries the night before I am going to use them and place them on paper toweling on a cookie sheet (w/ toweling on top) in the refrigerator. They are dry and ready to go by the morning. I have only used mine for parties for families and friends. They hold well for at least 24 hours after dipping.

eieio1234 Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 1:24pm
post #18 of 21

Just an update, I finished dipping them and did use about 1T shortening per bag of chocolate, and they DID set up great, and it was much easier than without the shortening, the chocolate flowed better.

Taleesa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Taleesa Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 5:32pm
post #19 of 21

I always use the Wilton melts also--I think they work great.

Caker_Girl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caker_Girl Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 5:45pm
post #20 of 21

eieio1234-How big a bag of chocolate chips did you use and what brand?

I plan on making these (for the first time) for a baby shower I am giving. My plan is to then to assemble a topiary out of them so any advice on that as well would be helpful!

eieio1234 Posted 24 Feb 2008 , 1:24am
post #21 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caker_Girl

eieio1234-How big a bag of chocolate chips did you use and what brand?

I plan on making these (for the first time) for a baby shower I am giving. My plan is to then to assemble a topiary out of them so any advice on that as well would be helpful!

I used Ghirardelli Milk Chocolate Chips, I think it's like an 11 or 12 oz bag. I know semisweet is often used but this customer requested this. I added a little less than a Tablespoon of shortening to each bag, it took 2 bags to coat 60 HUGE Driscoll's strawberries. There was some chocolate left over so it would have done a few more. I dipped them and then put them in the fridge to set up and they set up beautifully.

I plated them on one huge platter, single layer so I have no idea about assembling them!! But this is the second time I've done this and I would definitely recommend the shortening, the chocolate flowed much more smoothly, and looked nicer I think.. I also didn't wash them as heavily this time. Last time I really washed them and soaked them to get them clean and they took forever to dry, and had some moisture that condensed on them. This time I wiped each one down with a very wet towel and let them dry for a few minutes before dipping them, it was much better, no sweating at all. With the premium berries, they're very clean to begin... Hmm, what other advice can I give you... Oh, don't wash them until you're ready to start working *i.e. the night before* because they'll start to deteriorate very quickly, just wipe them before you start to dip. 60 huge berries took me about 1 1/2 hours to wash,dip, cool, add some accent chocolate striping and be totally done, just so you have an idea of timing. I also stopped a few times for Mommy duties, so it would have taken less time if I worked straight through. HTH!! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%