I Did It!!!

Decorating By JoanneK Updated 5 Jan 2007 , 4:40pm by JoanneK

JoanneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanneK Posted 5 Jan 2007 , 3:40am
post #1 of 23

I made my first chocolate wrap with a chocolate transfer sheet! I can't wait to do one for "real" now icon_biggrin.gif

I had a friend over and she was interested in cake decorating but had never tried it before so I let her do the boarders to the cake. Also since it was a cake just to try out the wrap I didn't bother to do the top.

I learned so much for next time. But all in all for the first try I was pretty happy with it. A little bumpy in a few places but now I know how to prevent that next time.

For all of you gave ideas, tips and lessons a big THANK YOU!!!! I would have never tried it had it not been for you guys.

For all of you who have not tried this because you think it is to hard I say NO it's not. Give it a go.

Thanks everyone for your help. CC people are the best people in the world thumbs_up.gif

22 replies
tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 5 Jan 2007 , 3:44am
post #2 of 23

Looks great Joanne!! I've never done the chocolate wraps, I think they are sooo pretty! I totally agree with you about giving it a go even when you think things are going to be hard!! Most of the time it isn't hard. The cake is pretty~

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 5 Jan 2007 , 3:45am
post #3 of 23

I LOVE chocolate transfer sheets! I have used them many times, wrapping cheesecakes, birthday cakes, and the wedding cake I made in November. I order the pre-made ones. I've never tried to make one.
The only "tricks" I can think of are to really press the melted chocolate onto the transfer to be sure there is good contact, and to be careful to not let the chocolate get too firm if you're wrapping a round cake.
Congrats on your success! It's a great way to make a cake look like a million dollars! thumbs_up.gif

JoanneK Posted 5 Jan 2007 , 3:47am
post #4 of 23

Oh thank you. I know it's nothing special but it's exciting to finally try one and know I can do it. I can't wait to do one and decorate it fully.

lilmisscantbewrg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmisscantbewrg Posted 5 Jan 2007 , 3:48am
post #5 of 23

Your cake looks awesome! I want to try it after seeing yours icon_smile.gif

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 5 Jan 2007 , 3:48am
post #6 of 23

Joanne, anything about cake decorating is exciting to me!! I'm sure everyone else will agree!! icon_smile.gif

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 5 Jan 2007 , 3:50am
post #7 of 23

JoAnne, you're killing me over here!! That is so gorgeous!! Now I HAVE to do one! After hearing you say it's totally doable, and seeing how awesome it turned out! I gotta, gotta, gotta give it a go!! Great work!

Noelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Noelle Posted 5 Jan 2007 , 3:50am
post #8 of 23

That looks great! All of your cakes are beautiful. You are very talented!

JoanneK Posted 5 Jan 2007 , 3:54am
post #9 of 23

You guys are so nice. Talk about hanging out with people who build up my confidence!

Really, you must try it. It is very easy and not as hard you would think. Give it a go. thumbs_up.gif

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 5 Jan 2007 , 4:00am
post #10 of 23

Please someone will you PM me with instructions. I would love to try, haven't a clue on what to do. Please tell me. It looks so good.
June

JodieF Posted 5 Jan 2007 , 4:04am
post #11 of 23

This is where I always order them from, in case anyone wants to look.

http://beryls.safeshopper.com/302/cat302.htm?581 icon_lol.gif

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 5 Jan 2007 , 5:13am
post #12 of 23

Well done Joanne, that transfer creates such a bold effect on the cake design!

And your friend's really good for her first attempticon_smile.gif

Didn't know the pre-made transfers were so affordable. Thanks for sharing Jodie.

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 5 Jan 2007 , 8:30am
post #13 of 23

Thanks Jodie for the ordering info. I am going to place an order & would love to know what are the most popular sizes to buy.
June

JodieF Posted 5 Jan 2007 , 2:58pm
post #14 of 23

They are VERY affordable! At Beryl's you have to order 5 at a time (I think), but I just store them in the fridge and they're fine for ages! The company is in England, but they arrive pretty quickly and the shipping is reasonable.
I know you can order them from many places now. You can just seach for "chocolate transfer sheets". I just think Beryl's has a wonderful selection and I can count on them.
As far as I know, the sheets are all about the same size.

JodieF Posted 5 Jan 2007 , 2:59pm
post #15 of 23

icon_biggrin.gif OH......just FYI.....no matter how careful I am I still seem to end up covered in chocolate when I use them!

showersfamily4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
showersfamily4 Posted 5 Jan 2007 , 3:09pm
post #16 of 23

I also would love instructions on how to do this. It is beautiful. I am new to cake decorating (and relatively new to CC). I start Wilton course #3 next week.

nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 5 Jan 2007 , 3:19pm
post #17 of 23

How cool, would love to do one soon!!!

JodieF Posted 5 Jan 2007 , 3:25pm
post #18 of 23

They're really quite easy to use.
If you're wrapping a round cake, then measure it's height and the distance around. Transfers are sheets of acetate with colored cocoa butter (in patterns) on one side. Cut the transfer to size (I make it a little longer than required....you can always trim the excess). Ice the cake. Melt white or semi-sweet chocolate (depends on the transfer). Lay the sized transfer on a piece of wax paper on a cookie sheet. Be sure you have the right side up, which is the side with the cocoa butter on it! Spread the chocolate, gently pressing to make good contact. Try to keep it all the same thickness. Put it in the refrigerator.
Now...the tricky part. You have to wrap the cake after the chocolate is fairly solid (not runny at all), but still soft so it doesn't crack when bent. Wrap the cake, pressing gently and smoothing with your hands and then refrigerate it until the chocolate is firm. Peel off the acetate and trim any edges. The pattern should stay on the chocolate!
For a square cake you can just measure the "panels" you'll need to cover the sides of the cake, cut the transfers to the correct size, follow the steps above but refrigerate them until solid (since they don't have to bend). Place the panels on the cake, using icing as glue. Peel off the acetate. I pipe borders to help hold the chocolate on the cake.
I hope this helps!
The next time I do one I'll try to remember to take pictures to make a tutorial.

Marksgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marksgirl Posted 5 Jan 2007 , 3:38pm
post #19 of 23

Country Kitchen carries them also..no Min Order...Now I have another thing to add to my "to do" list icon_cry.gif

shkepa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shkepa Posted 5 Jan 2007 , 3:39pm
post #20 of 23

Ok so I am new here and have read about the choc transfer so can you tell me.

You used white choc how did you get the red lines??

It is so neat looking

ps3884 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ps3884 Posted 5 Jan 2007 , 3:41pm
post #21 of 23

JodieF - Thanks for the instructions. I can't wait to give this a try!

lilkimberb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilkimberb Posted 5 Jan 2007 , 4:04pm
post #22 of 23

I agree you cake looks awesome. This all sounds pretty straight forward. I do have a question. If you make your own wrap~how do you get the design in it. I saw one that was dark chocolate with white lines going around the entire cake. Do you just put down one color and then add another? If you want designs do you put those down and then add the main color over the top?

JoanneK Posted 5 Jan 2007 , 4:40pm
post #23 of 23

The red lines are coco powder and color that is already on the transfer sheet. When you put the melted chocolate on it and it cools the transfer pattern stays on the chocolate.

I did not put in the refrigerator when I did mine. I put my transfer sheet down on my counter top and it cooled off pretty fast. I wrapped it around the cake and let it sit. Again, didn't put it in the refrigerator. Once it cooled completely I pulled the plastic off. Then I put the whole cake in the refrigerator.

To make your own design you can put the design on yourself with melted chocolate, let harden then put the final layer of chocolate over the whole thing.

This is my new favorite way to do cakes now. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%