Prayers For My 2 Year Old Son, Please!

Lounge By lvablkmn Updated 14 Jun 2008 , 12:30pm by erinalicia

lvablkmn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lvablkmn Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 1:29am
post #1 of 26

Just reading this for the 1st time. I'm sooo sorry to hear this happened to your son. But am happy to read that he is doing much better!!!
He'll be in my prayers & thoughts for a speedy & healthy recovery!!!

25 replies
erinalicia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinalicia Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 2:36pm
post #2 of 26

It looks as though all of the posts were lost. I wanted to post an update for those of you who might not know about my son and those that don't check our blog.

Aidan had another MRI scan done on Thursday. The results were not what we were hoping for. He has had continued damage to his entire brain and the areas that were hypoxic before have now died. One of his neurologists said that he may have cerebral palsy or be in a persistant vegetative state forever. His other neurologist doesn't say he's not going to be that way, but he thinks we shouldn't give up. He is willing to try other alternative therapies.

The past few days for us have been terrible. If you'd like to read the updates from the past few days, you can do so at www.caringbridge.org/visit/aidanwright or russdwright.livejournal.com

Thank you everyone for you continued prayers. We are continuing to pray for a miracle for our son.

SueW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SueW Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 1:29am
post #3 of 26

Thank you for keeping us posted in this very difficult time for your family. When CC crashed and was gone for a few days all I could think of was your family and how little Aidan was doing. You are ALL in my thoughts and prayers, I only wish I could take away your pain. It just doesn't seem fair. God Bless.

lardbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lardbutt Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 3:24pm
post #4 of 26

Erin, I am still praying for little Aiden. I just saw the photo of him in the hospital and it is just heartbreaking. You are way much stronger than you give yourself credit!

oliveoyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oliveoyle Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 1:04am
post #5 of 26

Erin will keep your son and your family in my prayers.

I will also pray that you stay strong and that the test results get better.

grannys3angels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grannys3angels Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 6:52am
post #6 of 26

I am so so very sorry to hear this has happen to your son. and I am so sorry for all that you and your family are going through and have gone through.

My heart is sadden for all of you, and I will have each of you in my thoughts and prayers. I will pray for a miracle to find it's way to your beautiful son and for God to be with each and everyone of you now and in the days to come.

Thank You so much for taking the time to give all us up dates on Aidan.

God Bless You All,
Sharon

fmcmulle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fmcmulle Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 12:42pm
post #7 of 26

Erin,
Aidan has alot of people praying for him all over the world and I truly believe he will get better. I will continue to keep praying for him and your family.
Faye

saptally Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saptally Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 1:21pm
post #8 of 26

I previously posted but since it's lost, I wanted to let you know I've continued to check the blog for updates and continued to pray for you and your family. I cry every time I read it whether it's good or not-so-good news. I pray God will continue to work miracles for Aidan and give your family the patience, strength and endurance during this challenging time.
Sabrina

erinalicia Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 6:14pm
post #9 of 26

I just wanted to say thank you to all of you. I'm sitting here in Aidan's room just praying for him to calm down. He's been having a storm for a while. Lately they haven't been really bad, and they are usually triggered by discomfort (from a dirty diaper or full bladder) or just agitation. This on isn't terrible, but he calms some and goes back into again. I've tried soothing him and I've tried holding him but neither worked.

He is so rigid and stiff all the time that it makes it so difficult to hold him or position him. The physical and occupational therapists can only work with him for a small amount of time before he gets worked up and then they can't do anything with him. If we can't work with him, we're never going to be able to loosen his muscles and joints. His hands have started to contract because of this.

There are moments when I'm strong and I think I can handle all of this, but most of the time I'm scared to death. I'm tired, I'm sad, I feel guilty that I didn't keep him inside the house that afternoon when I wanted to. I hate to dump all of my self pity on everyone, but I hope you all understand.

Please keep praying for Aidan... for these storms to calm and for him to start responding more. Please pray that he is also able to empty his bladder on his own again so that they don't have to continue to catheterize him.

Thanks!

todolomio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
todolomio Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 4:24am
post #10 of 26

Dear Lord:

Shower this family with your blessings, keep them strong as they have faith that you are the mighty one that can accomplish anything anytime. May you provide this family with the strength and unity they need to continue their journey.

Blessings,

galliesway Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
galliesway Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 11:40am
post #11 of 26

I'm not sure how ever missed this post! I will pray for little Aiden. My heart goes out to you & your family!

Kelley

sugadahl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugadahl Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 12:47pm
post #12 of 26

My thoughts and prayers are with little Aidan and your family. May God Bless and Keep You.

erinalicia Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 1:17pm
post #13 of 26

Thank you for your continued prayers and support everyone. I don't know how I would have made it this far without them.

We are still waiting for the storms to calm or be under more control from the medications. Other than that, Aidan is doing well. He's a fighter. He is breathing on his own through the trach and is on room air. He's only getting humidified air to help keep everything loosened up. What we are really dealing with at this point is the symptoms of the storms (elevated heart rate, breathing, rigid posturing, sweating, etc).

He also has C-diff. It's a bacterial infection in the intestines caused from being on antibiotics for a long period of time. He's been treated for it for a week now, so we're hoping that it is gone soon. We have to gown and glove every time we go in his room because of it.

I am looking into some different fundraising things to help with Aidan's expenses. Russell is STILL without a job and Aidan's care is not going to be cheap. Please continue to pray that Russell finds a job soon.

I am also considering us consolidating our blogs/updates on another site. If we do, we will let everyone know and post the link on the other 2 sites.

Thanks again!

kjt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjt Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 1:24pm
post #14 of 26

Erin, you and your family are in my prayers...

CarriM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarriM Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 2:01am
post #15 of 26

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family through this tragedy. I really hope he recovers quickly.

Carri

erinalicia Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 4:58am
post #16 of 26

I just wanted to let everyone know that I have gotten the new blog up and running it is
http://prayforaidan.blogspot.com

I am considering ordering some of the silicone bracelets to sell with "Pray for Aidan" and his blog address on them to help raise money for his expenses. I will let you know when and if we do order them if you are interested in purchasing one. We are in the process of coming up with other fundraisers as well.

Thanks for the continued prayers. Aidan has been so much more relaxed the past two days. I am so grateful for that. He is able to rest comfortably and he isn't as rigid and tense. God really does work miracles. icon_smile.gif

erinalicia Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 3:53am
post #17 of 26

Hi everyone! I haven't been on here in a few weeks. Aidan has been at the Children's rehab hospital almost 2 weeks now. He has been doing really well. The therapists have been able to get everything pretty relaxed and we're scheduled to leave on the 17th.

I am so ready to get him home! We've been keeping his blog updated almost daily, and I've gotten some new pictures of him posted recently.

I did order some of the wristbands I mentioned in my last message and will be posting the info on the blog if anyone is interested in purchasing one. We're trying to raise money for Hyperbaric Oxygen treatments and some equipment that insurance won't pay for that we will need at home for his therapy.

My brain just hasn't been on baking lately, but hopefully I'll be able to get back into it. I have some cookies I'd like to make for my friend who's expecting in August. I'm making a diaper cake for her and thought I'd add a cookie bouquet to it somehow.

Anyway, I hope that everyone is doing well and I'd like to thank you all for the continued prayers and support. Aidan is such a little trooper and he's doing so well. It's truly a miracle that he's here and that he's doing as well as he is.

dragonflydreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonflydreams Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 1:46am
post #18 of 26

. . . HI Erin . . . nice to see you back here again . . . I have been following your blog for updates . . . and praise God for taking you all this far . . . and continue to pray for miracles to touch your Aidan and your family in ways that bring glory to Him . . . that all may know how He has restored what the enemy would have taken away . . . be strong in your faith and may God richly bless . . . Amen

erinalicia Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 3:17pm
post #19 of 26

Aidan is home! I just wanted to let everyone know. Please check the blog for more info. Thanks for all the support everyone!

icon_smile.gif Erin

VannaD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VannaD Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 5:00pm
post #20 of 26

I too am reading this for the 1st time. I read your story on your website and watched your video, your family is in my prayers and i hope Aidan continues to recover, Congratulations on bringing him home, thats a huge milestone. Ill continue to follow you story, God Bless you and your family.

erinalicia Posted 21 May 2008 , 2:56pm
post #21 of 26

I haven't been on this site for a while but I wanted to post a quick update to let you all know how Aidan is doing. Aidan has been home for a month now. We take him almost everyday for hyperbaric oxygen treatments. He also gets physical, occupational and speech therapy 3 days a week. I see a huge difference in him from what he was at first. He is starting to look around more and will occasionally track objects with his eyes.

We have an MRI scheduled next week and we're praying that there is some positive news in regards to the damage to his brain. He's definitely a fighter and his personality is coming out more and more.

Aidan is now having what we call "seizures". He had an EEG last week, but the neurologist said the episodes start out like a seizure but they don't occur in the same part of the brain you typically see seizure activity. Aidan's are occuring much deeper in the brain- around the area that has the most damage. His doctor also said that this could be his brain's way of "waking up" from all of the drugs he was on during the first 6 weeks in the hospital. That makes sense to me because the "seizures" started out as just little startles or jerks that were easy to miss. Now they are pretty significant and involve his whole body and they last a minute or longer sometimes.

We are in the process of raising money so that we can purchase a hyperbaric chamber for our home so we don't have to travel 2 hours everyday to treatments and so that he can get the recommended 2 treatments a day instead of only one. It would take 7 hours out of our day just to take him to 2 treatments.

Anyway, we are planning a golf tournament and are selling wristbands to help raise money for the chamber. We are about halfway to our goal of $25,000.

If you are interested, Aidan's website is http://www.prayforaidan.com. There are two youtube videos there. One is a slideshow I put together of Aidan and the other is a news story that was done recently.

We appreciate all of your prayers and support. This is such a wonderful community to be a part of and I really enjoy spending what time I can here. Thanks again!

VannaD Posted 21 May 2008 , 3:22pm
post #22 of 26

Thank You for posting this and keeping us updated. Im glad your sons doing better and you guys are starting to see improvements, it must be awesome to see his personality starting to come back. I hope the MRI brings your family happy news, ill continue to pray for you and yours.

erinalicia Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 4:53pm
post #23 of 26

I thought I'd post a quick update since this has been pushed to page 3 of the posts... icon_smile.gif Aidan is doing much better than expected. His MRI results were good. His neurologist said that if we had not got him started with the hyperbaric oxygen treatments, that the damage he had sustained to his brain would be even worse than we had seen on his last one before we left the hospital. Instead the damage has halted.

Aidan also had a brochoscopy done this past Wednesday and the doctor said that everything looks perfect. His airways are open and clear and we can move on to the ENT to get him fitted for a passy-muir valve.

I'm doing okay. It's extremely hard sometimes. I try to be strong most of the time, but there are moments when it all just sneaks up on me and knocks me on my butt for a while.

Aidan is my life, as is his brother. I can't imagine my life without my boys. I wish though, that I could just go back and change it all.

If any of you are in the Charlotte, NC area and you know anyone that plays golf, please let them know about our golf tournament for Aidan. The website is http://www.golfingforaidan.com. You can also get to the page from my blog, http://www.prayforaidan.com.

Thanks for the continued prayers and support!
Erin

VannaD Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 10:47pm
post #24 of 26

thanks again for the update. I know its got to be hard on you, i have 2 young girls and im exhausted at the end of the day i cant even begin to imagine what you endure each day, im not a very religious person but i do believe GOd doesnt give us anything we cant handle, so he must know your strong. Keep your head, ill be thinking of you and your family.

lardbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lardbutt Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 5:37am
post #25 of 26

Hi Erin

It is so good to see you around here again! I have followed your blog and prayed for your precious child and whole family. I'm glad to hear his personality has begun to show. I know how important that is for you.

I saw Aiden holding the little puppy and wondered if he gets to keep it? It was so cute and it appeared like Aiden really liked it!

I hope your're holding up well. I know you must be exausted mentally and physically. You are a special person!

Sherri

erinalicia Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 12:30pm
post #26 of 26

Thank you Sherri. The puppy was my cousin's. She had just gotten it the day before. We're considering a dog specifically for Aidan, but it will have to wait until we move into our own house (which I hope is soon).

We have two dogs (a lab and chihuahua). The lab is outside because my mom refuses to have a large dog in the house. Bear (lab) would be good with Aidan, but I haven't been able to test that theory yet. He was always patient with Aidan when he was little and would crawl all over him and play with him.

Well, my day is going to be filled with cake and paint. I've got to bake cakes for my baby's first birthday party next weekend, and finish painting an entertainment center and the living room. FUN.

Thanks for all the support and prayers!
Erin

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%