I Need Birthday Party Suggestions For 18 Kindergarten Kids

Lounge By CakesByEllen Updated 22 Jan 2007 , 8:47pm by CakesByEllen

CakesByEllen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByEllen Posted 4 Jan 2007 , 7:21pm
post #1 of 12

Hi Everyone,

I need help from all those Moms out there that have been through this. My daughter turns 6 the end of this month. she wants a birthday party and wants to invite the entire class (she doesn't want the boys to feel left out by inviting the girls only). We just moved into this district, and frankly the neighborhood is affluent. We moved here for the schools and are barely making it on our two salaries. So I want her to have a party she can be proud of, but at the same time I am trying to figure out if I can do this without going broke! She has been invited to a few parties so far, and they are always "somewhere". One was a lazer tag party, and I looked up the cost at the webiste and it was like $24 per kid icon_eek.gif . That's a lot for 18 kids!

Any cool ideas out there? I would have it at our house, but it's not that big. The basement is big, but I don't feel like I have enough games, and it's still all concrete - unpainted and all. We just moved in 3 months ago and it is new construction.

So please help if you can.

Thanks,
Ellen

11 replies
shelbur10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbur10 Posted 4 Jan 2007 , 8:24pm
post #2 of 12

I've been in that situation before, we ended up having the party at home and, really, it was no big deal to DD that her party wasn't as fancy as some.

But, maybe you could suggest to her that she have a slumber party instead and only invite 2 or 3 of her best friends? 6 might be old enough?? My DD started having sleepovers at that age.

pinknlee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinknlee Posted 4 Jan 2007 , 9:09pm
post #3 of 12

I agree that 18 is too many. I go by one child invited per year, so 6. It is a whole lot easier. You could do a girls only tea party. Serve tiny snadwiches and juice in fancy glasses. Cakeballs and chocolates. Have all the girls wear a fancy dress. Really decorate the table. I hope that helps.

vww104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vww104 Posted 5 Jan 2007 , 1:58am
post #4 of 12

I agree that 18 kids is too many for you to entertain and if some of the parents stay that would be a lot of people for you to feed and entertain. However if your daughter insists, you could consider serving chicken nuggets (buy a huge bag of the frozen ones) and a huge can of corn that you can put in a big bowl and microwave, or make a big pan of that fake mac & cheese that all the kids like. Consider having three or four smaller group activites ( maybe twister, pin the tail on the donkey, musical chairs, craft activity, etc) and have the kids rotate stations. If parents are there put them to work manning the different stations. Keep it short 1.5 to 2 hours max!! Make a snack bag favor w/juice box, fruit snacks, cookies, maybe a pencil and stickers. Also make a beautiful cake and the parents will see it and may want you to do their kids' cakes! Hopefully something like this doesn't need to be too expensive. I live in NJ too and I know how expensive it is. Good luck!

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 5 Jan 2007 , 2:42am
post #5 of 12

Do they still have skating rinks? I use to love that as a child.

pinknlee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinknlee Posted 5 Jan 2007 , 5:59pm
post #6 of 12

Just another idea. Why not do cupcakes at school, if you can do that, I know who wants to by the dreaded cupcakes. That way all the kids get to be involved with a party and then have a smaller one at home.

chubbycheeks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chubbycheeks Posted 5 Jan 2007 , 6:20pm
post #7 of 12

18 childen is a lot, however, you should take into consideration that about 1/2 of them will only show up (that's "usually" the case). I just did a "tea" party for all the little girls in my daughters class (11) and they all rsvp'd to come (much to my surprise!). I really only suspected about 8 or 9 would say yes. lol. Silly me. My other thinking is that since you are new to the area, this may be a great opportunity to meet several of the moms from your daughters class!

Anyways, I think it's a good idea, though I'm typically up for a "fun" time with lots of kids. hehe. If you could do it at your house, I'd try and set up the basement. What about a movie theme? Boys and girls love movies, pick a movie for them to all watch. Send invitations with tickets in them and tell them they have to bring in there ticket to get into the movie and to buy concessions. Have a "concession" stand type thing set up in your kitchen where they can come and 'buy' candy, drinks, popcorn (rent a popcorn maker!), stuff like that. It should be pretty easy to set up your basement for that. You can cover your cement walls with black poster paper, etc. My friend did this party as her son wanted to invite all the kids in the class (21). It turned out GREAT, the kids had a blast...and only about 1/2 showed up. icon_smile.gif If you really don't want to do it in the house, what about going out and doing a bowling party, paint your own pottery party, inflatables - although these can get very pricey, especially with 18 kids.

Your other options would be to take a cake or cupcakes to her class for the "party," let her invite all the girls only, or let her invite 6 (her age) friends. Definitely send the invitations secretly so no little feelings get hurt. icon_wink.gif

SwampWitch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SwampWitch Posted 8 Jan 2007 , 1:26am
post #8 of 12

You can do it, but you have to plan way ahead of time.

We had 19 children attend our daughter's sixth "bird-day" party (entire K class plus other friends). We have a big backyard and it didn't rain, thankfully.

We used the theme "birds" in everything, and made our own bird invitations. We set up six different stations around the yard, each with a bird-related game or craft, which we made well ahead of time. One of the stations was a bouncy castle - about $100 CDN to rent, and they delvered, set up, and picked up after the party. I think the bouncy castle is a must for the hyper guests that will be attending! There were usually about 2-6 kids at each station at any given time. We also had three dozen helium ballons delivered, and they were weighted down in bunches for decorations in the back yard.

When parents RSVP'd and asked if they could stay, I told them, "Sure, and would you mind helping at one of the stations?" It worked out very well.

The day before the party, I put together the food. I ordered a big party bag of popcorn from a popcorn store in the mall, and filled the bags that were included. In a brown paper bag, I put a wet nap, the bag of popcorn, and a small bag of gumy insects. I had a cooler with small juice boxes and ice. Each child picked up his or her bag, grabbed a juice, and were munching down in no time. Then the kids sang and had pieces of the nest-shaped cake (in my pics). The parents had popcorn and cupcakes.

After the cake, the guests were given styrofoam bird gliders (yay Oriental Trading Co.), and small bottles of wedding-favor bubbles, and they ran around the yard throwing their flyers and blowing bubbles.

The guests took home their crafts, a small goodie bag that included more bird flyers, and helium balloons.

PM me if you'd like more info. Good luck!

Cheers, from
SwampWitch

twinsline7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twinsline7 Posted 8 Jan 2007 , 1:42am
post #9 of 12

icon_surprised.gif icon_surprised.gif icon_surprised.gif seriously ???? 18 5 yr olds?????? icon_surprised.gif icon_surprised.gif icon_surprised.gif

Ive got 5...(twin2, 5, 6, and 14)
and the only ideas I can come up with is xanax and a big bottle of tequila!!! icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif

ge978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ge978 Posted 8 Jan 2007 , 1:47am
post #10 of 12

First of all I have to second Twinsy's idea....i had a slumber party for 6 9yr olds and i really could have used a bottle of something

But if you would like a different idea, one year I rented out the local skating rink for my dd....it wasn't really that expensive,...I think it cost $175 including 50 kids and adults and a dj. Plus there weren't a bunch of other people around so the chaos was kept to a minimum.

Zmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zmama Posted 8 Jan 2007 , 7:34am
post #11 of 12

Pizza and movie(s). You'll need something to keep them sitting and quiet, or add earplugs to Twinsy's idea.

Better yet- have grandma throw the party while you and dh go out.

CakesByEllen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByEllen Posted 22 Jan 2007 , 8:47pm
post #12 of 12

Thanks everyone for all the great ideas. I think I am going to try doing a movie party and rent the popcorn maker. Sounds like it could work well.

Wish me luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%