Help With Stacked Cakes

Decorating By Maudrey74 Updated 4 Jan 2007 , 5:10pm by tirby

Maudrey74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maudrey74 Posted 4 Jan 2007 , 4:18pm
post #1 of 7

Please someone inform me. I am doing a 18x12 cake with the race car pan cake on top. Should I dowel rod the cake to support the race car cake? and if so how? I understand the placking of the dowel rods into the botton cake, but does the top cake have to have a cake board under it to rest on the bottom? I hope I'm explaining it well enough for someone to help. icon_redface.gif

6 replies
MISSYCOMPOC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MISSYCOMPOC Posted 4 Jan 2007 , 4:23pm
post #2 of 7

here's a bump for you. I'm not sure myself icon_smile.gif

sk8gr8md Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sk8gr8md Posted 4 Jan 2007 , 4:24pm
post #3 of 7

I did something similar with the football cake that I think is in my photos, but not sure. I did a football on top of a sheet cake. I cut a board for the football just to be sure. Without it, I don't know if the bottom dowels do much good. This way it was just like doing a plain stack cake. I put dowels in the sheet to support the football and a dowell in the middle through both the football and sheet to keep it from sliding. All that may not be entirely necessary, but better safe than sorry.

Hope this helps!

tirby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tirby Posted 4 Jan 2007 , 4:35pm
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maudrey74

Please someone inform me. I am doing a 18x12 cake with the race car pan cake on top. Should I dowel rod the cake to support the race car cake? and if so how? I understand the placking of the dowel rods into the botton cake, but does the top cake have to have a cake board under it to rest on the bottom? I hope I'm explaining it well enough for someone to help. icon_redface.gif

quick question, is the 18x12 a single layer with the racecar being a single layer too. If yes then my "opinion" is that on 2 layer cakes you never put anything in between except icing and no dowels needed. Stacked and tiered cakes need the extra support....unless this is a stand up race car like a sculpted one..... Does any one agree on this?

Maudrey74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maudrey74 Posted 4 Jan 2007 , 4:55pm
post #5 of 7

Thanks for the response. The bottom is going to be 2 layer and then the top race car just a single layer.

Vicky30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vicky30 Posted 4 Jan 2007 , 5:04pm
post #6 of 7

structure wise i'd say you would be fine. When I did my daugthers cake in Nov, I but a board under the Elmo cake so i could remove it for her to play with and served the rest. I did not use dowels but the cake was staying at the house.

tirby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tirby Posted 4 Jan 2007 , 5:10pm
post #7 of 7

Id say cover a board. just cardboard is fine and add a few dowels if transporting. Or straws if you arent going to take it anywhere. But I always do if its over 2 high just to be safe. But as I said it's an "opinion" I dont know that you would HAVE to

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%