1St Wedding Cake - Price Help!

Decorating By lemonicing Updated 1 Feb 2008 , 11:13pm by MikeRowesHunny

lemonicing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lemonicing Posted 1 Feb 2008 , 10:52pm
post #1 of 3

Thanks for all the helpful info. I've heard such a price range ($2.00 - $4.00) for BC and more than that for fondant. I do this out of my home, and very much on the side. My time is extremely valuable, as I'm sure any other decorator's is. I have young children and have to decorate late at night. The bride wants cornelli lace on all three tiers, and that takes a long time to do. Hence the $3.50 a slice. The friends I have who do this too also charge $3.00 - $3.50 for BC, and the bakeries in my area charge within $100 less for a wedding cake similar to this size and style. I wouldn't want to charge the same that they do.

The info about itemizing the price quote to include a delivery charge is quite helpful. My husband says to lay it all out and let them know everything they'd be charged for, but now I'm learning to not share any sort of delivery charge. I do want to be honest and not charge too much, but this is the hardest part! I am thinking in lines with price comparisons and then with what kind of profit I'd like to see in the end. I certainly wouldn't want a cake I worked so hard on to leave my house on a Harley! That would NOT be cool!

Also, what's the best way to bind a wedding cake order out of your home, and should I ask for any money ahead of time?

Thanks so much!

2 replies
Howiesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Howiesmom Posted 1 Feb 2008 , 11:08pm
post #2 of 3

I always get 1/2 when the cake is ordered and the other 1/2 is due the week of the wedding. I don't think you should make delivery an option. Wedding cakes are easy to screw up on the trip to the reception...trust me...I had my first wedding cake disaster back in September. I think your price is right on target. I charge $3 for buttercream, $3.75 for cream cheese and $4 for fondant. Good luck!

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 1 Feb 2008 , 11:13pm
post #3 of 3

My wedding cakes start at $4 a slice, and yes, I charge extra for delivery. There is no way I'm charging the same price for a cake I was delivering a 4 hour round trip away for the same price as I would charge for a cake in my local town. I prefer to be up front about all my charges and not hide them under one price for the 'cake'. JMO!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%