My Struggles With The Wilton Rose...

Decorating By Lenore Updated 10 Jan 2007 , 2:00pm by agagnier

Lenore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenore Posted 3 Jan 2007 , 12:52am
post #1 of 8

OK. I can make this rose with royal icing however, I just cannot get it right with butter cream. I keep trying and trying.... icon_confused.gif My rose petals have edges that are chunky looking. They are not nice and smooth like everyone elses icon_cry.gif What am I doing wrong? I watched the on-line lesson from this website. No this did not help me. Please help.

7 replies
Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 3 Jan 2007 , 1:17am
post #2 of 8

Check your tip first, make sure it is not bent. It sounds like your icing may be too stiff, thin it down a TINY bit or add some karo or p-iping g-el to it, that takes care of the "rugged" edges. If you can do it in royal, you can do it in buttercream! icon_wink.gif

CupCake13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupCake13 Posted 3 Jan 2007 , 3:24pm
post #3 of 8

I'm guessing your icing is not the right consistency. Do what Quadcrew recommended. You want a medium to medium stiff icing. Too stiff will give you funky edges. Too thin won't hold up.

If you really want to practice, buy a small tub of Wilton Buttercream (Michael's even has it) and use it to practice. It should be the right consistency. Then you can just keep reusing it.

If you look in my photos, the pink roses I did are really ruffly. (I kinda like it). But I had a tip that was smooshed a bit. I kept it, because they look like real antique roses and I know someone, someday will want them. But you might want to invest in another 104 tip.

Lenore Posted 4 Jan 2007 , 4:01pm
post #4 of 8

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Cupcake13: The ruffled effect on your pink roses is exactly what I am talking about. I guess my tip is smushed and I just did not realize it. Thanks.

CindyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CindyW Posted 6 Jan 2007 , 2:40am
post #5 of 8

Where are those on-line insructions you mentioned? I'd love to watch it done.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 6 Jan 2007 , 3:04am
post #6 of 8

I disagree about using the Wilton Canned frosting. It is medium at best, but it also thins down the more you use it or stir it. You could mix in powder suger into it, but you are better off just making it.

What recipe are you doing? Are you measuring your powder sugar? Instead of measuring the sugar out of a 2lb bag I'd get a lb box. Also if your icing seems to stiff which that is one of the causes of the ruffled edges then you can add in some extra crisco. You want to do about a tablespoon of crisco for every cup of stuff icing. This will help make the icing more creamy with out thining it down so it won't hold shape.

I have also added piping gel to students icing in class when they have it too thick, but I don't have a measurement for that one.

Lenore Posted 9 Jan 2007 , 11:17pm
post #7 of 8

Cindy: The video clip is under the articles tab found on the home page of this terribly slow web site icon_lol.gif

TexasSugar: I am using home made wilton class buttercream (still my favorite). I do weigh out the sugar rather than measure by cups. I have been adding water or karo to thin down. Next time I will definetly add more crisco instead. Thanks. Still have not had time to give it another try.

Thanks again everyone.

agagnier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
agagnier Posted 10 Jan 2007 , 2:00pm
post #8 of 8

go here I did a step by step with pictures. This way works with the softer icings like whipped frosting also...

http://www.cakecentral.com/cak.....54626.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%