Unlicensed - Delivering Wedding Cake To Restaurant

Decorating By SweetDolly Updated 2 Jan 2007 , 8:03pm by Tkeys

SweetDolly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetDolly Posted 2 Jan 2007 , 2:39pm
post #1 of 8

I need to deliver a wedding cake to a reception being held at a restaurant, and will be setting up the cake before the wedding party and their families arrive. As I am unlicensed - do I have anything to worry about? Do you think the restaurant will ask me for proof of license? I've never delivered a cake without someone from the event being there to welcome me, take delivery directly etc. Just a little paranoid, I guess. icon_redface.gif

Thanks for your advice!

7 replies
tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 2 Jan 2007 , 2:48pm
post #2 of 8

You (or the family) needs to check with the restaurant and see if it's a problem. Some restaurants won't let food be brought in unless it's from a licensed kitchen and some won't let it be brought in at all. Good Luck!

cakesbykellie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbykellie Posted 2 Jan 2007 , 3:01pm
post #3 of 8

i've delivered to receptios at restaurants. Just walked in... said "i have a cake for X event.... can you direct me to the room, please?" That was that.

onceuponacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onceuponacake Posted 2 Jan 2007 , 3:04pm
post #4 of 8

Usually, the restaurant/reception hall will let the couple know if any outside food needs to come from a licensed kitchen.

A friend of mine was asked to do a cake and she needed to be licensed according to the hall. Day of wedding she shows up with cake and was never asked to show any licensing. She just strolled right in wth the cake.

Did the bride tell you you had to be licensed? I would go ahead and ask her if the restaurant had any requirements regarding an outside cake decorator (if it's a restaurant, i'm sure they don't do wedding cakes there) or like suggested call the restaurant personally and ask.

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 2 Jan 2007 , 3:07pm
post #5 of 8

I've done several deliveries for a bakery I worked at - and never once had anyone ask who the cake was from, or whether we were licensed. Just said I was there with the cake and asked who was gonna sign for it... I even did my sister's wedding cake (and I wasn't licensed) years ago, and her "reception" was held at the Olive Garden. Nobody asked me anything.

I don't think you have anything to worry about at all.

Michie21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michie21 Posted 2 Jan 2007 , 3:21pm
post #6 of 8

I also am not licensed however I've done cakes for family and friends that had to be delivered to reception halls. As long as whomever booked the party cleared it with the Hall that outside food could be brought in, you shouldn't have any problems. As long as they accept outside food, most places don't care where it comes from since it's usually in the contract that they are not responsible for anything brought in from an outside source.

SweetDolly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetDolly Posted 2 Jan 2007 , 6:30pm
post #7 of 8

Thanks so much for the responses and advice. If it's not a positive experience, I'll be sure to let you guys know!!!

Tkeys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tkeys Posted 2 Jan 2007 , 8:03pm
post #8 of 8

You should ask the bride to check with the restaurant - I only bake cakes for family/friends, but I've had both experiences when I bring a cake to a restaurant. Most of the time, it is fine. But the night of my husband's bachelor party, they charged the bachelor party $8 per person for the darn cake! And when I brought a cake up for my nephew's birthday, the restaurant sent me back outside with it - we had to wait and cut it at the hotel.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%